DTM 2012

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Nando
Nando

Re: DTM 2012

Another strong performance from the newcomers!
they have built a very good machine it seems.
Also have a nice roster of high level drivers.

Some notes from the race,
Mercedes car has identical characteristics as the Mclaren F1 cars, very stiff front end.
It bounced like crazy where the Audi and BMW got unsettled once then they stopped bouncing.

Also was apparent that the Mercs was quick but not quickest.
Everytime they closed in, the BMW's just left them in the high speed corners or at the exit out on the oval, think there's two occasions they do that in a lap.

Hand is starting to find himself in the car, i have no doubts he'll grab a pole one day, he's a very fast driver.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

raymondu999

That Mercedes is scary fast. Paffett could potentially be looking at a Vettel-2011 type year...
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

wunderkind
wunderkind

raymondu999 wrote:That Mercedes is scary fast. Paffett could potentially be looking at a Vettel-2011 type year...
I hope so, he deserves to win this year's Championship and make the progression to F1 with a decent team.

Nando
Nando

It´s not that much quicker really. The BMW´s have really been the quickest car on low fuel.
It´s when it counts that they have messed it up and given away poles, like at Brands.
Tomczyk was easily the quickest guy there.

The race we also saw Spengler keeping the gap to Paffett all race. They matched each other in the latter part of the race.
Unfortunately the splitter broke so he lost 7-8 tenths per lap.

raymondu999

wunderkind wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:That Mercedes is scary fast. Paffett could potentially be looking at a Vettel-2011 type year...
I hope so, he deserves to win this year's Championship and make the progression to F1 with a decent team.
I don't think he'll ever make that progression any more really. I remember Aston Martin were going to come in with Prodrive, but they had McLaren affiliations and Paffett would've been a race driver. But it never came to be. I hope I'm wrong, but I think that was his last chance.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

raymondu999

Guess I was slightly wrong. Audi looked good in Spielberg. Mortara's maiden pole and win, and Ekstrom looking racy, only losing 3rd because of his ill-fated attempt around the outside of Paffett for P2 at the start.

I must say I think Ekstrom and Paffett have both driven darn well this year - it's like a repeat of Vettel and Alonso last year. Two epic drivers - one in the quickest car, and the other in the 3rd quickest (I'm talking over a season average rather than at each race) and getting just about the maximum from their results at each race weekend. The points differences look daunting, but I think that's just due to the blasted points system that they've adopted, following the FIA contrived 25-point-win system.

Stonking effort by Ekstrom to keep 2nd in the standings. IIRC Spielberg was the first race where he wasn't the first Audi home.

I still have faith! Go Eki! :mrgreen:
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

sesku
sesku

Hi,
I don't know whether I should create a new topic or not for this question. After watch DTM for several years, I always had question in my mind about the car's door. They look so flimsy and thin. It look like the door can easily come off in collision. What are they made of and is it help to protect the driver in case of collision?
This letter is computer-generated ; no signature is required.

Nando
Nando

Can´t believe there is so low support for this series, it´s awesome!
Spengler vs Paffett, last race, winner takes all!
Oh btw, Spengler´s crew did a 2,6 second pit stop on him in Valencia. That´s insane.

matt21

sesku wrote:Hi,
I don't know whether I should create a new topic or not for this question. After watch DTM for several years, I always had question in my mind about the car's door. They look so flimsy and thin. It look like the door can easily come off in collision. What are they made of and is it help to protect the driver in case of collision?
The doors are made of CFRP and are only "doors. So just the shape and the function, but no protection as the driver is located in a standardized monocoque.

langwadt
langwadt

matt21 wrote:
sesku wrote:Hi,
The doors are made of CFRP and are only "doors. So just the shape and the function, but no protection as the driver is located in a standardized monocoque.
yeh, the flimsy carbon fiber bodywork is mostly there to give is a silhouette similar to the manufacturer the car represents
apart from the badge on the engine they are basically all the same underneath and most parts the same across the board specified by the rules. Guess that is what it took to keep the series alive, just hope F1 will never get that far

skgoa
skgoa

No, you are thinking of NASCAR.

langwadt
langwadt

skgoa wrote:No, you are thinking of NASCAR.
well DTM has become like an updated european version of nascar,

must use a specific DTM gearbox-differential unit from Hewland
must use a specific type of brakes from AP
must use a 4liter 90deg V8 with restrictors
must use specific Bosch ECU, no telemetry or driver aids
must use DTM standard monocoque and cage
must use a standard rear wing

skgoa
skgoa

No, DTM cars are allowed to be developed to have a performance advantage. The spec parts are the ones that would cost a lot of money to develop and produce on your own but don't give much perfomrance advantage. Engine, suspension and aerodynamics are developed by each manufacturer on their own. And the different concepts and philosophies do result in some differentiation. E.g. Audi seems to now have the faster/more drivable package on most tracks, at least over a single lap. Mercedes was unbeatable at the start of the season and are reputed to have the best aero but they have now fallen behind quite a bit, especially in qualifying. BMW is reputed to have a much stronger engine than the other two, which has given them quite an advantage on certain tracks.
And quite frankly, DTM cars look nothing like the cars they are named after. I referred to NASCAR because they are now making the switch to cars that look much more like the cars they are meant to represent, yet they are very tightly regulated in their performance to not get any advantage.

langwadt
langwadt

skgoa wrote:No, DTM cars are allowed to be developed to have a performance advantage. The spec parts are the ones that would cost a lot of money to develop and produce on your own but don't give much perfomrance advantage. Engine, suspension and aerodynamics are developed by each manufacturer on their own. And the different concepts and philosophies do result in some differentiation. E.g. Audi seems to now have the faster/more drivable package on most tracks, at least over a single lap. Mercedes was unbeatable at the start of the season and are reputed to have the best aero but they have now fallen behind quite a bit, especially in qualifying. BMW is reputed to have a much stronger engine than the other two, which has given them quite an advantage on certain tracks.
And quite frankly, DTM cars look nothing like the cars they are named after. I referred to NASCAR because they are now making the switch to cars that look much more like the cars they are meant to represent, yet they are very tightly regulated in their performance to not get any advantage.
suspension is also spec parts, the rear wing is spec'ed so there are limits to what they can do with aerodynamics and it is tested at windtunnels before the season tweaked to be more or less equal and frozen.

The engines are different but all of the same configuration and have intake restrictors,

so that more less leaves setup and driver as the difference

The car might not look much like any production car, but when you see the front they are very easily recognizable as being bmw, audi or merc

Morteza

From DTM.com
From 2014, DTM will be heading in a new direction. Thanks to a cooperation deal signed this Tuesday in Tokyo, the most popular international touring-car series is not only open for the Japanese car manufacturers but at the same time, the three premium-car manufacturers involved in DTM, Audi, BMW and Mercedes-Benz, also will have the opportunity to compete in the Japanese Super GT. The agreement regarding the use of the ‘New DTM’ regulations by Japan’s Super GT begins in 2014 and runs – for the time being – for four years.

“This is a very special day for all those involved but in addition, it also has got outstanding significance for the entire motor racing world. This unique cooperation was made possible by the right parties getting involved at the perfect point in time,” said Hans Werner Aufrecht, Chairman of DTM rights holder and promoter ITR e.V., on the occasion of the signing of the contract with the Japanese Series organiser, GT Association (GTA), in Tokyo.

“This cooperation of GTA and ITR based on the new technical regulations is a dream come true. We believe that this milestone in motor-racing history will not only help to reduce the costs dramatically but at the same time, it also should help improving safety and creating spectacular racing with equal chances for the manufacturers and teams, thus entertaining the millions of fans all over the world.”

“The GTA, ITR and the manufacturers involved are entering virgin soil,” said Audi Motorsport Director Dr Wolfgang Ulrich who represented the DTM manufacturers, in Tokyo. The Super GT in Japan and DTM have got many common ideas – a fact that became evident in the intense discussions we had in recent years. Now, these organisations are going to cooperate on the basis of shared technical regulations. A move that will guarantee maximum safety, spectacular sport and cost-efficient motor racing.”

“The technical regulations of DTM are trend-setting in many ways,” added Christian Schacht, Secretary General of the German Motor Sport Association (DMSB). “Key facts such as the fascinating cars, the high safety standards and the cost efficiency, too, represented the top priorities in the discussions with the Japanese Motor Sport Federation.”

Massaki Banndoh, Chairman of the GTA, also was delighted: “We believe that this agreement will contribute greatly to the development of both the SUPER GT and DTM race series. We also think that deepening the relationship between DTM in Europe and SUPER GT in Asia toward the future may lead to new developments – such as organizing exchange races for both series – that have got what it takes to bring new excitement and pleasure to the fans around the world.

The agreement was created in close cooperation of the German Motor Sport Association (DMSB) and the Japanese Automobile Association (JAF). Thanks to the same technical basis, the DTM manufacturers, Audi, BMW and Mercedes-Benz, will be able to race against Toyota, Nissan and Honda in the Japanese Super GT, from 2014. Und at the same time, the Japanese manufacturers will have the opportunity to compete in DTM.

To make for equal opportunities for the DTM and Super GT cars that currently are racing with differing engine concepts, the cars will be categorised according to a system called ‘Balance of Performance’ (BOP) for a transitional period.

At the same time, the beginning of this partnership also means an intensification of the successful collaboration of the manufacturers involved – Audi, BMW and Mercedes-Benz as well as Toyota, Nissan and Honda – the two series organisers, ITR e.V. and GTA, and the associations DMSB and JAF. In the future, joint technical working groups and circles will hold meetings to create the basis for a continuous exchange of information.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare