Porsche back in Le Mans!

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
acosmichippo

Re: Porsche back in Le Mans!

Holm86 wrote:There is missing a top view photo. So the grey lines actually makes sense.

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/ima ... p69lut.jpg
Ok, that's better, and interesting. Still doesn't look that great from any other angle though.

Holm86

acosmichippo wrote:
Holm86 wrote:There is missing a top view photo. So the grey lines actually makes sense.

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/ima ... p69lut.jpg
Ok, that's better, and interesting. Still doesn't look that great from any other angle though.
I don't think it looks good either. I just ment that this top view shows what they are doing.

acosmichippo

yeah, didn't mean to sound like i was disagreeing. Seems especially silly since the full words don't even fit on the car, like the other user mentioned. Sometimes I just don't understand what motorsport graphic designers are thinking. Well, most of the time.

I wonder if the #2 car will say:

"CHE
IGENT
ORMANCE"

aleks_ader

PORSCHE 919 HYBRID (1080 res pictures=>right click)

AERO renders form promo video...

Published on Mar 4, 2014

Porsche 919 Hybrid: Cutting-edge technology benefits production cars

The exceptional efficiency of the Porsche 919 Hybrid is the result of a carefully balanced overall concept. The sum of all of its individual components forms an effective unit: from the combustion engine to the energy recovery systems, chassis and running gear, aerodynamics and driver ergonomics. The combustion engine is a compact V four-cylinder petrol engine that also serves as a load-bearing member in the chassis. It is a frontrunner of the future-oriented downsizing philosophy features two litres of engine displacement, direct fuel injection and mono-turbocharging, the engine that turns at speeds up to 9000 rpm. The compact engine outputs around 500 hp.

In addition, the Le Mans prototype has two energy recovery systems. Fundamentally new here is a system that recovers thermal energy from exhaust gases via an electric generator driven by the exhaust gas stream. The second hybrid system has the functionality familiar from the 918 Spyder. Here, a generator on the front axle utilises braking phases to convert kinetic energy into electric energy. Lithium-ion batteries serve as the energy storage medium. When the driver needs this energy, an electric motor drives the front axle. This makes the 919 Hybrid an all-wheel drive vehicle temporarily.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

Powershift

I thought they were also going to use Williams flywheel, lighter, more power capacity and higher power exchange rate, also better for the environment, longer life, and most importantly lower cooling requirements. I thought after their flywheel hybrid 911 they were bound to use the flywheel system again. Anyone have any info as to why they chose to go with lithium batteries?
Winning is the most important. Everything is consequence of that. Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.-Ayrton Senna

agip

Is there a fuel flow restriction here?

Why only 500 hp?

aleks_ader

agip wrote:Is there a fuel flow restriction here?

Why only 500 hp?
Yes it depend on witch class energy recovery you choose. Porsche is in 8 MJ petrol claas.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

WhiteBlue

There is a per lap fuel flow restriction which comes to 22 g/s if you assume recent lap times. This is more severe than F1, which stands at 27.8 g/s.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Lycoming

WhiteBlue wrote:There is a per lap fuel flow restriction which comes to 22 g/s if you assume recent lap times. This is more severe than F1, which stands at 27.8 g/s.
Indeed, see appendix b here

http://www.24h-lemans.com/wpphpFichiers ... -lm-p1.pdf

87.3 kg/h to F1's 100 kg/h. Actually, none of the LMP1 classes will have as high a fuel flow rate as the F1 cars. A quick search turned up no mentions, so I presume the fuel flow regs mean they are now doing away with air restrictors.

WhiteBlue

Lycoming wrote:
WhiteBlue wrote:There is a per lap fuel flow restriction which comes to 22 g/s if you assume recent lap times. This is more severe than F1, which stands at 27.8 g/s.
Indeed, see appendix b here

http://www.24h-lemans.com/wpphpFichiers ... -lm-p1.pdf

87.3 kg/h to F1's 100 kg/h. Actually, none of the LMP1 classes will have as high a fuel flow rate as the F1 cars. A quick search turned up no mentions, so I presume the fuel flow regs mean they are now doing away with air restrictors.
Correct, LMP1 will be fuel regulated and not air regulated. There is always the chance of BOP though. This will be implemented by tweaking how much they can individually refuel. The per lap fuel rate can also be adjusted if there is a need for BOP.

The lower fuel flow of LMP1 vs F1 is a very strong indicator that the 4-cylinder format selected by Porsche will be more fuel efficient than a 6-cylinder F1. LMP1 will beat F1 in terms of brake thermal efficiency. Of this I'm very confident. Mark my words.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Lycoming

Thermodynamic efficiency is one part of it, but LMP1s also have much better aerodynamic efficiency. High aspect ratio wings, covered wheels and cockpits, etc.

They are much, much heavier though.

Holm86

Pretty interesting stuff around the exhaust. The GU-H is clearly visible. I haven't got a complete overview of the exhaust system yet.

DAMNINice

Holm86 wrote:Pretty interesting stuff around the exhaust. The GU-H is clearly visible. I haven't got a complete overview of the exhaust system yet.

http://www.racecar-engineering.com/wp-c ... pork_0.jpg
Haha... you are right..
I think I know alot about engines but I haven't 100% understood and seen which tube is going where on this setup.

Those are a lot of bends and tubes :wtf:

If you have more pictures, I would be happy to see these! :!:
REal men play with twins!

DAMNINice

got one! :idea: =D>

REal men play with twins!

matt21

Would be nice to have a principle diagream of the exhaust and charge air ducting.