DTM , JGTC and Grand-Am Unified?

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Pup
Pup

Re: DTM , JGTC and Grand-Am Unified?

Is that real? Looks like CGI to me.

Nando

Pup wrote:Is that real? Looks like CGI to me.
lol yes it´s real :) It´s from testing,
Right click and view and it should look more realistic :)

-
Hopefully it´s just a test but there is a real possibility that it will be introduced this year.
Frankly i don´t think they need it, racing has been great last year.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

Huntresa

Nando wrote:

-
Hopefully it´s just a test but there is a real possibility that it will be introduced this year.
Yeah the soft tyre and rule that you must use that is the only thing DTM needs right now.

But i gotta say this DRS is clever since they dont have 2 planes on their RW, reducing the AoA is smart.

Nando

Will be interesting if it´s free for all in Quali as well.

Could make it interesting for the high speed corners in terms of what the initial AoA will be which could create the possibility for some to run with it open while others can not.
But that´s all assuming if it will be legal in Quali.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

gixxer_drew

Huntresa wrote:
Nando wrote:

-
Yeah the soft tyre and rule that you must use that is the only thing DTM needs right now.

But i gotta say this DRS is clever since they dont have 2 planes on their RW, reducing the AoA is smart.
Actuators controlling single element AOA is readily available in the performance aftermarket and was first done in the 1950s.

FW17

Things have just got interesting
How Super GT could change Indycar forever

When a German touring car series and a Japanese sportscar championship decided to share a common rulebook last year, few people realised the implications.

The reasons for this Japanese-German collaboration became clear this evening with the announcement of a move into North America. The cars in this new series will all use a common chassis (as is discussed elsewhere) but more importantly they will use modern turbocharged direct injection four cylinder engines (dubbed NRE’s) which will produce around 600bhp in ‘boost’ mode.

These engines could have great potential in other applications, and indeed this has already become evident with Super GT’s open wheel sibling Super Formula. This class will run new all new Dallara’s in 2014 to in place its existing fleet of Swifts. This new car was designed to be faster than any other open wheel class including Indycar, indeed Formula Nippon cares were already quicker than the old Dallara IR07 around Motegi, and not that far off the back off the F1 field at Suzuka.

So could it be that with the arrival of six big manufacturers on the shores of North America next year with their extreme GT cars they may also bring along their open wheel concept to boot, and if all six manufacturers decide to support the open wheel class then it would be more than a threat for Indycar.

Of course there is no indication this would happen and indeed the Germans have shown no interest whatsoever in the open wheel series. But it could make sense, the DTM teams have been very keen to attract one or more of the big three US auto makers (or Mazda) to the new North American series.

Indycar immediately starts to look a lot less attractive to car makers, the DTM/GT500 alliance already has six manufacturers and the giant PR machines that go with them, not to mention the backing of NASCAR. But what if Indycar adopted the NRE engines then suddenly it could get five more automakers over night. Yes Honda is already involved but that does not matter, they are already building a NRE compliant lump but where would that leave Chevrolet?

In the perfect place to be honest, GM already sells plenty of cars using the two litre Ecotec so to have a racing engine that at least has the same dimensions is simply logical. Ford and Dodge would also be in a similar position. For Toyota and Nissan the lure of the Indy 500 is clear, but for Audi, BMW and Mercedes it must hold real appeal too. Especially if they did not have to build anything new.

But why not go the whole hog, why bother with the ugly DW12 anymore, the promised aerokits have yet to materialise, manufacturer interest is waning and the series is still miles away from where it should be. Why not adopt the SF14 already designed for the NRE, Dallara would’t care as they build both. Whilst the SF14 is built for road courses and meets 2010 F1 safety standards an oval racing version should not be all that hard to develop.

Indeed the only people who would object would be the team owners (who seem to object to everything) but the manufacturers can shout much much louder. Imagine the Indy 500 with the three Japanese automakers taking on the three from Germany and the three from the USA.

gixxer_drew

Just digging this back up, I learned recently that SuperGT after changing to the DTM rules have increased downforce significantly, this is a bit of a humbling surprise to me, but hats off to how developed those cars are. I also heard the aero development budgets for the transition were massive, and cycle was more than a year compared to roughly 3 mos we would have typically in JAF homolgation cars.