Formula E

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
FrukostScones

Re: Formula E

2016/2017 cars look pretty crab.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Pierce89

mzso wrote:
Jolle wrote:I think they miss you at the NASCAR forum.
I doubt it, Nascar is junk by default.
Why? Nascar is the most intensely engineered national series in the world. There's more smart guys in the Nascar garage than anywhere else besides F1 and WEC. People hate Nascar because they dont understand it, but in case you've never noticed, the most knowledgeable guy in this forum(with the possible exception of DaveW) is a Nascar engineer who worms.in vehicle dynamics.

Sorry to JT for dragging you into this stupid argument.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Pierce89

Andres125sx wrote:
mzso wrote:Aerodynamic downforce was innovation in the early seventies at the latest. Now it's just a very worthless and damaging money pit. Why on earth do you really think these useless twisted aero toys are in any way innovative
So you think downforce is worthless and useless. Then I can only disagree, as to me racing is about going around a track as fast as possible, and for that DF is a BIG factor. Without aerodynamics no series will be ever faster than GP2. With aerodynamics, when battery technology allow it, they will have the potential to be faster than F1, and if FE really want to be the future of motor racing, to me aerodynamics are a must

That´s the reason I put AM-RB001 as an example. DF is not innovative, agree, but the way you get it can be. In past decades wings have been the main DF generator mainly because F1 rules banned any other system to get DF (fan cars, true venturi tunnels...), but wings also cause a lot of drag and dirty air.

Aerodynamics have evolved enough to generate DF without wings, and since FE cars don´t need too much DF because of their limited power (due to battery technology being the limiting factor), I´d have loved if FE rules would have taken a different route, instead of going to the usual wing cars, specially when those wings are so flat (to avoid too much drag wich would drain the batteries too fast) they´re almost useless, and as GP3, they´re mainly used to balance the car.

But with a more modern design, or with more efficient aerodynamics, they could get higher DF levels with same drag, so cars would be faster and they could develop a new concept while battery technology catch up. Then, when battery technology allow 1000bhp car for a reasonable race distance, they will be faster than F1 cars. Actually with e-power (much higher torque, no big and heavy engine block so weight distribution would be better, etc.) and more efficient aerodynamics (less drag for same DF), they would break F1 laptime records way before power reach similar numbers

That´s what I´d love to see
Sorry to go WAYYY off topic, but to say gp3 wings only balance the car is very wrong. Gp3 cars have very high levels of DF, and even with a fairly potent underwing, they still work the front and rear wings really hard at some tracks, they have over 400hp, so they can run alot of DF and drag. Hell f3 cars have a CLa close to 3 and they only have~240hp. Also in qualifying trim(they turn the wings way up) the FE cars actually make pretty good DF.

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

mzso

Pierce89 wrote:Why? Nascar is the most intensely engineered national series in the world. There's more smart guys in the Nascar garage than anywhere else besides F1 and WEC. People hate Nascar because they dont understand it, but in case you've never noticed, the most knowledgeable guy in this forum(with the possible exception of DaveW) is a Nascar engineer who worms.in vehicle dynamics.

Well, I don't find a series enjoyable where an "overtaking" is taking the left/right lane.
Nascar doesn't strike me as the pinnacle of technology so I have doubts that "most intensely engineered national" counts for much. They're big heavy boxes with moderately aerodynamic shells.

Pierce89

mzso wrote:
Pierce89 wrote:Why? Nascar is the most intensely engineered national series in the world. There's more smart guys in the Nascar garage than anywhere else besides F1 and WEC. People hate Nascar because they dont understand it, but in case you've never noticed, the most knowledgeable guy in this forum(with the possible exception of DaveW) is a Nascar engineer who worms.in vehicle dynamics.

Well, I don't find a series enjoyable where an "overtaking" is taking the left/right lane.
Really? Pathetic. Overtaking in NASCAR is all about cornering speed just like any other race series. What you speak of literally only applies to 11% percent of races(restrictor plates). Hell 5% of the races are identical to Australian v8 supercars. Maybe we should use that to sterotype the series instead of your version. It would be just as accurate.

Andres125sx

Pierce89 wrote: to say gp3 wings only balance the car is very wrong.
True, I was think about F3 but wrote gp3, sorry for the confusion :oops:

mzso

Pierce89 wrote:Really? Pathetic. Overtaking in NASCAR is all about cornering speed just like any other race series. What you speak of literally only applies to 11% percent of races(restrictor plates). Hell 5% of the races are identical to Australian v8 supercars. Maybe we should use that to sterotype the series instead of your version. It would be just as accurate.
Now that you say so, I agree. Nascar is pathetic. :D
There aren't even any corners on the majority of tracks just a big boring looping bend.
I can't say much about V8 supercars because it was never broadcasted here. But taking a peak at it it looks like not one of the circuits is a true BS oval. (The Queensland Raceway looks to be the closest) I highly doubt that racing has much similarity.

Jolle

Pierce89 wrote:
mzso wrote:
Jolle wrote:I think they miss you at the NASCAR forum.
I doubt it, Nascar is junk by default.
Why? Nascar is the most intensely engineered national series in the world. There's more smart guys in the Nascar garage than anywhere else besides F1 and WEC. People hate Nascar because they dont understand it, but in case you've never noticed, the most knowledgeable guy in this forum(with the possible exception of DaveW) is a Nascar engineer who worms.in vehicle dynamics.

Do they still race steel cars, pushrod engines and '30 rear axles and no on track telemetry?

'80ies DTM is more technical than Nascar, even at simple club races there are more technical advanced cars then Nascar...

Pierce89

The ignorance being spouted here has me laughing my ass off.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

mzso

News July 2019: Mercedes wins Formula E. :) How much output do their electric motor have in the F1 hybrid system? I wouldn't be surprised if it already reaches the 200 kW of FE

Andres125sx

Thanks Mort :D

So apart from Renault, Jaguar will join next season, Mercedes in 2-3 seasons, and BMW and Audi are indirectly involved and considering their entry as a factory team too

Very good news for FE!

can
can

F1 could learn so much from FE =D> =D> =D>

theriusDR3

will Minardi join Formula E in the future?

scarbs