Formula E

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Andres125sx

Re: Formula E

Disgracefully poor for an oficial site, but...

http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/guide/car.aspx?page=1334

BTW, just 11 days for first race! :)

mzso

Andres125sx wrote:Disgracefully poor for an oficial site, but...

http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/guide/car.aspx?page=1334

BTW, just 11 days for first race! :)
Thanks. I think I saw that one already. It's a bit depressing. Nothing cutting edge, nothing extraordinary.
I think there are two fundemental values in racing. Entertainment end technological development. This formula doesn't have enough oomph to attract much attention. The tech side is rather pedestrian.

What I'd like to see:
Different car designs
Higher powered cars (600-750kW) so that people would be interested to see it.
Advanced prototype/experimental batteries. Which would allow development of new batteries, attention/funding for new stuff. (Plus swapping batteries instead of cars which is just lame)
Direct drive engines. Which are underdeveloped and potentially the most efficient. (Which is one of the main goals of electrification)
4WD torque vectoring. (And 4 wheel recuperative braking. Maybe as primary brakes?)
Electromagnetic-recuperative active suspension. Which is undeveloped, but might be really useful. Plus electricity is readily available in electric cars.

maybe:
Wing car formula without a front wing for less fragile and more distinct cars.
High performing non-pneumatic tires. Which would be safer. And may lead to such tires for passenger cars. Currently I only saw experiments of such

Andres125sx

That´s the plan for next seassons, at least at battery field
From season two, Formula E will operate as an 'open championship', allowing teams and manufacturers the opportunity to showcase their own electrical energy innovations. Working to the technical specifications set out by the FIA, teams will focus their efforts on improving and developing battery technology in the hope this will filter into the everyday electric vehicle market.
http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/guide/overview.aspx

I also think wingless cars are the future, there´re too many restrictions today to prevent too fast cornering speeds because aerodynamics are so advanced they can produce huge amounts of downforce, so developing aerodynamics without wings is the next step IMHO.

FE would be the perfect platform for this as wings also produce tons of drag, consuming a lot of energy, and that´s the main limitation of FE, available energy, so developing more efficient cars without wings could be very interesting for these cars

Imagine free aero development with the only restriction of banned wings, that could be revolutionary

mzso

Andres125sx wrote:That´s the plan for next seassons, at least at battery field
From season two, Formula E will operate as an 'open championship', allowing teams and manufacturers the opportunity to showcase their own electrical energy innovations. Working to the technical specifications set out by the FIA, teams will focus their efforts on improving and developing battery technology in the hope this will filter into the everyday electric vehicle market.
http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/guide/overview.aspx

I also think wingless cars are the future, there´re too many restrictions today to prevent too fast cornering speeds because aerodynamics are so advanced they can produce huge amounts of downforce, so developing aerodynamics without wings is the next step IMHO.

FE would be the perfect platform for this as wings also produce tons of drag, consuming a lot of energy, and that´s the main limitation of FE, available energy, so developing more efficient cars without wings could be very interesting for these cars

Imagine free aero development with the only restriction of banned wings, that could be revolutionary
Cool.

I can't imagine free aero development. It won't happen. :)
Anyway I wouldn't call aerodynamics advanced. The use the same concept they figured out in the seventies eighties. They're just wasting obnoxious amounts of money (in F1 at least) on designing every piece of the car the to produce downforce.
Actually I think the aero should be restricted to be of lesser significance than other components, to allow other more interesting technologies to flourish.
True that it would be more efficient I didn't think of that. I think the Head-Byrne formula would be a great start for aero. Which of course F1 teams abandoned to protect their interests...

autogyro

I can see all the signs that the formula is slipping into the same controlled formula mind set as F1.
If those with the most vested interest dont want change then there wont be change.
Some big companies involved in FE already.
I doubt we will see much innovation in the future.

henra

Andres125sx wrote: FE would be the perfect platform for this as wings also produce tons of drag, consuming a lot of energy, and that´s the main limitation of FE, available energy, so developing more efficient cars without wings could be very interesting for these cars

That would be f***ing awsome.
And I fully agree Fast Electric is all about efficiency. Wingless design is a great way to advance in that direction.
Also I would favour generally liberal rule setting in this formula to allow for fast progress of technology.
I know it won't happen but it would be really great.

FW17

mzso wrote: I think the Head-Byrne formula would be a great start for aero. Which of course F1 teams abandoned to protect their interests...

Head Byrne rule was abandoned because FIA was gutless

autogyro

WilliamsF1 wrote:
mzso wrote: I think the Head-Byrne formula would be a great start for aero. Which of course F1 teams abandoned to protect their interests...

Head Byrne rule was abandoned because FIA was gutless
Yes, all the good guys are out now, including Adrian.
I think they all had enough.
I remember my old mate Tony Rudd saying F1 was now a pointless engineering exercise and that was years ago.

Andres125sx

Sky Deutschland secures exclusive TV broadcast rights
Formula E races, or ePrix, will take place on Saturdays. The live broadcasts on Sky will include half an hour of pre-coverage and 15 minutes of post-race analysis. Sascha Roos and Sven Heidfeld – the younger brother of Venturi Formula E driver Nick - will provide commentary for Sky with the first race aired from 9:30am (CET) live on Sky Sport HD 1.

mzso

Andres125sx wrote:Sky Deutschland secures exclusive TV broadcast rights
Formula E races, or ePrix, will take place on Saturdays. The live broadcasts on Sky will include half an hour of pre-coverage and 15 minutes of post-race analysis. Sascha Roos and Sven Heidfeld – the younger brother of Venturi Formula E driver Nick - will provide commentary for Sky with the first race aired from 9:30am (CET) live on Sky Sport HD 1.
Did I get it right? The other channels will only broadcast from recordings?
I kind of preferred a channel where I understood the language.

tok-tokkie

mzso wrote:
True that it would be more efficient I didn't think of that. I think the Head-Byrne formula would be a great start for aero. Which of course F1 teams abandoned to protect their interests...
Thanks for that interesting link. What a pity the FIA could not get that implemented. If Formula E can not free the technical regulations so that real engineering innovation can take place it will be completely uninteresting. An engineering challenge with technical limitations like F1 is killing - ask Adrian Newey.

mrluke

Sky??? FFS goodbye viewers.

Andres125sx

mzso wrote:Did I get it right? The other channels will only broadcast from recordings?
No, that means Sky paid for the rights, now they can sell it to any other channel

That´s what I think :roll:

At the beginning FE was not going to be broadcasted live, only via internet, so these are good news. TV channels interest is basic for FE success

mrluke

Live streaming would be better than sky.