Formula E

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Andres125sx

Re: Formula E

Waywardism wrote:Watched it last night, have to say I found it so boring that after the pit stops I fast forwarded it to the end. The cars look so slow but also quite a handful and there was only one guy who could manage to overtake
Only one guy could manage to overtake?

I´m afraid you felt asleep :P :mrgreen:

Anycase I agree last part of the race was boring, but I insist, the track was so boring, predictable and charmless to me the race was much better than expected. Maybe it´s because I had seen track map before the race, so my hopes were really low

I´m still wondering who´s the responsible of the track, even amateur karting tracks are a lot funnier than this one, I´d say they had to do a track around Bird´s Nest stadium, and none bothered if it was this boring :(
Last edited by Andres125sx on 19 Sep 2014, 10:27, edited 2 times in total.

andylaurence

mzso wrote:I'm aware. (see also: 1 2 ) You're missing the point. I didn't disagree with that. What I say is that gears, especially gearboxes waste a LOT of energy. I doubt it can be close to being less wasteful than a well designed, direct drive motor.
Also racecars accelerate very quickly, and keep high speeds as long as they can. The low efficiency regions are only in affect few percentage of the time. At moderate to max speed they're have good to great efficiency.
My events usually consist of a low of ~30mph and a high of ~120mph. That means efficiency across 75% of the rev range. F1 cars usually run in the 50-200mph range, which is about 75% of the rev range. I'd be interested to see a histogram of speeds used in an average F1 race. Here's mine at a few tracks:

Waywardism
Waywardism

Andres125sx wrote:
Waywardism wrote:Watched it last night, have to say I found it so boring that after the pit stops I fast forwarded it to the end. The cars look so slow but also quite a handful and there was only one guy who could manage to overtake
Only one guy could manage to overtake?

I´m afraid you felt asleep :P :mrgreen:

Anycase I agree last part of the race was boring, but I insist, the track was so boring, predictable and charmless to me the race was much better than expected. Maybe it´s because I had seen track map before the race, so my hopes were really low

I´m still wondering who´s the responsible of the track, even amateur karting tracks are a lot funnier than this one, I´d say they had to do a track around Bird´s Nest stadium, and none bothered if it was this boring :(
Just shows you how out of touch the FIA are. They choose spectacular venues instead of spectacular tracks and somehow believe that's a good decision.

But anyway, yes. Franck Montagny was the only guy I saw doing any real overtaking. There was a bit of shuffling around the first couple of laps but it quickly settled down into a procession.

Kiril Varbanov

Impressive debut for Formula E on the broadcasting side. I'll be visiting the Monaco round next year.

Richard
Richard

Generic discussion about electric propulsion is interesting, but unfortunately drowning out discussion of the race series. So we now have a new thread :arrow: Electric propulsion and other musings

autogyro
autogyro

Just shows you how out of touch the FIA are. They choose spectacular venues instead of spectacular tracks and somehow believe that's a good decision.
My original paper on FE in 2010 suggested races to back up F1 and other meetings.
I also suggested two kart formula as stepping stones.
A junior and senior.

Unfortunately FE has gone a different route because of vested interest.

F1 would have a much more secure future if they had taken my advice.

Andres125sx

Andres125sx

MOWOG

Formula E has done what Bernie always wanted to do - hold races on street circuits right in the middle of notable cities.

If the track in Beijing was any indication, those of us who follow Formula One can thank our lucky stars that this is one time Bernie did not get his way. [-o<
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.

J.A.W.
J.A.W.

To judge by the 'highlights' vid - which shows very little race action, & a overpowering 'music' overdub - FE is..
..anything but 'electrifying' action.. ..& what would they have done.. ..without that crash as a spectacle?

Underwhelming, by any top-flite motorsport standard..
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

autogyro
autogyro

J.A.W. wrote:To judge by the 'highlights' vid - which shows very little race action, & a overpowering 'music' overdub - FE is..
..anything but 'electrifying' action.. ..& what would they have done.. ..without that crash as a spectacle?

Underwhelming, by any top-flite motorsport standard..
I completely agree they have got the formula wrong.
It is a benefit for the marketing men and the restrictions this year stop any interest in the technology.
For electric racing it is ONLY rapid development of the technology that will attract spectators and viewers.
Music, gimmicks and an endless diatribe about green issues will simply put people to sleep.

Andres125sx

autogyro wrote:It is a benefit for the marketing men and the restrictions this year stop any interest in the technology.
For electric racing it is ONLY rapid development of the technology that will attract spectators and viewers.
But there must be a championship for that to happen :wink:

They said the spec formula format it is right now was to ensure enough teams join the championship. If they would have adpoted free develpment format costs would be much higher, and this is a new championship with no guarateed revenue, so it would have been too risky for any investor/team

First goal was to ensure the championship starts and have some success. Then they can allow more development of any area increasing the costs needed, but before that they must ensure the championship is stablished.

Right now a FE car cost $350k, wich is a small fraction of a F1 engine alone. First goal achieved, there´s enough teams and the cars are running.

Next seasson they will be able to develop energy store devices wich is the most limiting part of EV´s right now. And the areas where free develpment is allowed will be increasing on next seassons. To me this is a well thought schedule to ensure the success of the championship

mzso
mzso

3-4 manufacturers next season sounds nice:
http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2014/sep ... tions.aspx

mrluke
mrluke

http://www.speedhunters.com/2014/09/mon ... -e-runner/

670bhp for ~10 minutes.

Why does formula E only have 200 for 10 minutes?

Can we expect a big boost for next year?

J.A.W.
J.A.W.

They sure need it!
& ASAP..
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).