Formula E

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
mrluke
mrluke

Re: Formula E

mzso wrote:
wesley123 wrote:
mrluke wrote:You could use a fan to have consistent down force..
Which brings the issue of debris being thrown up, plus packaging the whole thing.
Not to mention fan is pretty fallible. A blade breaks and the whole thing falls apart immediately. And bye-bye downforce
The same argument could be made for having spindly exposed wheels, a small contact and the wheel falls off :O

F1 cars going at 200+mph are already picking up any debris and launching it into the path of the car behind, I cant see a fan making much difference to that really. Appreciate that FE cars are much slower, so it should be even less of a concern.

J.A.W.
J.A.W.

Also 'fans' are not necessarily flimsy, viz turbofan aero-mills..
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

autogyro
autogyro

With electric power it would also be possible to only use the fans on corners or not at all when the battery was low.

I had thought of this for use in electric racing when batteries improved however my first conclusion was for an F3 equivalent formula with no wings or major down force.

This would allow tyre manufacturers to work on low rolling resistance tyres that could also recover energy.

mzso
mzso

mrluke wrote:
mzso wrote:
wesley123 wrote:Which brings the issue of debris being thrown up, plus packaging the whole thing.
Not to mention fan is pretty fallible. A blade breaks and the whole thing falls apart immediately. And bye-bye downforce
The same argument could be made for having spindly exposed wheels, a small contact and the wheel falls off :O

F1 cars going at 200+mph are already picking up any debris and launching it into the path of the car behind, I cant see a fan making much difference to that really. Appreciate that FE cars are much slower, so it should be even less of a concern.
No it couldn't be. Loosing a wheel doesn't result in rapid decrease in downforce mid corner. Colliding with something actually slows you down first. You'd also get similar downforce loss when the car is
F1 cars are not picking up everything. Fans would pick a up a lot more, because they actually suck like a vacuum cleaner.
There are other concerns for FE cars because the fan eats up a lot of the precious energy.
autogyro wrote: This would allow tyre manufacturers to work on low rolling resistance tyres that could also recover energy.
What sort of tires are you thinking of? To me non-pneumatic tires are interesting. I think they have a lot of unexplored potential with modern materials.
If you mean electricity by energy recovery, I don't think that's quite workable. Recuperative electromagnetic suspension should be doable though.

Andres125sx

mzso wrote:F1 cars are not picking up everything. Fans would pick a up a lot more, because they actually suck like a vacuum cleaner.
FE does not use tires wich worn out in 10 laps as F1, so FE tracks are way cleaner than F1 tracks, don´t have the marbles problem F1 tracks suffer

So I don´t think dirt may be a big concern, a very simple filter (just a mesh/mail) would solve the problem easily

RicME85

Until it collects too much debris and ends up blocked so the air cannot pass through

Andres125sx

As any other filter and I don´t see air filters blocked

Air filters are higher, but there are many differences:

1- Air filters are smaller and need to filter every little dust no matter how small it is, while this filters wouldn´t need to filter that much, so filtering only, let say, bigger than 1mm debris, they would be much more difficult to block

2- They would be much bigger, so much more difficult to block

3- FE is not F1, tires change it all

F1:

FE:

Jonnycraig
Jonnycraig

Another amazing race in Miami.

Just goes to show how sick F1 really is when we get more racing in one FE race than in an entire F1 season.

Adore this series. :D

wesley123
wesley123

Andres125sx wrote:
mzso wrote:F1 cars are not picking up everything. Fans would pick a up a lot more, because they actually suck like a vacuum cleaner.
FE does not use tires wich worn out in 10 laps as F1, so FE tracks are way cleaner than F1 tracks, don´t have the marbles problem F1 tracks suffer
All the races are held on circuits on public roads, those aren't particularly clean.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Scuderia Nuvolari
Scuderia Nuvolari

Jonnycraig wrote:Another amazing race in Miami.

Just goes to show how sick F1 really is when we get more racing in one FE race than in an entire F1 season.

I really enjoyed the race
There were a lot of inquisitive people there wanting to learn more
including me.
I wish it had lasted longer
I saw some really good racing with no accidents

Andres125sx

Jonnycraig wrote:Another amazing race in Miami.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

In spain it´s no longer broadcasted, only four races of a very new series wich obviously need some adaptation and they thought it had no future.... #-o

I´m trying to download it or watch it online somewhere, but can´t find it , if someone know any link, please share

Andres125sx

wesley123 wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:
All the races are held on circuits on public roads, those aren't particularly clean.
But not enough dirt to block a big filter in half an hour, specially considering it doesn´t need to filter small dust as an air filter

RicME85

The idea was to have constant downforce but if your fan is throwing grit, gravel, bits of asphalt, whatever off the track and into the filter the downforce wouldnt be as predictable.

Anyway, you can always watch the races on Youtube.
I watched this link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSsgs7-v2Z0

Andres125sx

Thanks, I watched it yesterday after F1 race

And seriously, considering tracks differences (Albert Park is a really nice track while Miami is a PITA) I found FE more entertaining than F1

IMO the worst part of FE currently is the car switch. Most drivers need to practice this maneouver a lot more, there´re too many position changes between first and second race halves, so much that first part is almost useless, you need to see how car switch goes to know who will be on podium. This time Vergne and Bird where fighting for victory at first half but out of the podium at second. Well, to be fair Bird ruined his race because of entering one lap too late and running out of battery, but you get the idea, there are too many differences. Some drivers loose 6 seconds more than the mandatory time, so there are huge position changes

Trocola
Trocola

Andres125sx wrote: :cry: :cry: :cry:

In spain it´s no longer broadcasted, only four races of a very new series wich obviously need some adaptation and they thought it had no future.... #-o

I´m trying to download it or watch it online somewhere, but can´t find it , if someone know any link, please share
I didn't know that Energy ended the FE broadcasting. I think it's the best, because I do not like Gonzalo Serrano (aka "Sanganchao")

I watch the races live on the Formula E App for Android. And usually after the race you can watch it on youtube. The "only" problem is that it is in English.

Vamos, que en la app de la FE lo puedes ver en directo, sesiones de entrenamiento y clasificación incluida (en español me expreso mejor jajaja)