Formula E

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Jordan44

Re: Formula E

Don't think next year will be able to beat this. With the manufacturers developing their own power train next season, that's only gonna produce a clear pecking order.

PlatinumZealot

I don't know, but these cars look better than F1 cars when they are in motion. Maybe it's the tight tracks?
I have watched a few races but it is only now because of this gripping final I am starting to believe that Formula E can overtake F1 in a few years. These drivers are pushing man.

πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

RicME85

They looked great going down the straight that wasn't flat so were pitching up and down and high frequency.

I think they look better too, like high speed darts.

PlatinumZealot

Yeah... and the cars are close to each other. How often do we see that in F1?

sgth0mas

PlatinumZealot wrote:Yeah... and the cars are close to each other. How often do we see that in F1?
The closer you get to spec series...the better and closer the racing.

Indy, nascar, formula E, feeder series...etc.

RicME85

I think the racing has been better than GP2 & 3. I know the drivers are more experienced but I thing the aero of these cars is better for the spectacle of actual racing.
If the London track was just an extra foot or so wider I reckon we could of seen some more overtakes at the end of the race when the championship could of gone anywhere still.

I hope the changes for next year and so in don't fragment the grid, would be awful for the series to go from the excellent close racing of this year to having cars over varying performance due to drivetrains rather than driver ability.

One thing that shocked me about this season of FE was how some teams really hooked it up each race whereas others like Trulli, Venturi and Mahindra just couldn't get anything out of the cars.

autogyro

F1 was never just about the drivers championship, it was also a competition between development engineers and national pride.
Top formula should not just be about the personalities of a chosen few and some energy drinks.
If that is the case today they might just as well use a corporate race day series and run it like X factor.
Ohh whats that I hear we already have that in F1?

Spec series are OK for the Americans and others who only do media BS, corporate back slapping and personality fan boyism.
F1 was and should again be above all that if is to have any chance of survival.

FE was first and foremost a platform to develop new ideas in electric vehicles.
If you make it a spec series it will be totally emaciated and will become no more than all the other spec series including F1.
Of little technical interest.

PlatinumZealot

Good point.

Thankfully the thing about electric systems we shouldn't get huge gaps in power out as we see now in F1. Less complex power delivery should keep things close I hope.

flynfrog

Pretty cool demo
http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/watch-thi ... 1714915287

Where do I get the RC version?

sgth0mas

flynfrog wrote:Pretty cool demo

Thays pretty neat!

They ran a traxxas x01 at one of my former home karting tracks (dallas karting complex) and it clocked 103mph i believe. That is screaming for an electric rc car.

Andres125sx

sgth0mas wrote:

Thays pretty neat!

They ran a traxxas x01 at one of my former home karting tracks (dallas karting complex) and it clocked 103mph i believe. That is screaming for an electric rc car.
At RC scale, electric setups reached glow/petrol perfomance many years ago. Electric RC pylon racers are doing well over 300kmh/200mph, some people even claim around 450kmh/280mph

sgth0mas

Andres125sx wrote:
sgth0mas wrote:

Thays pretty neat!

At RC scale, electric setups reached glow/petrol perfomance many years ago. Electric RC pylon racers are doing well over 300kmh/200mph, some people even claim around 450kmh/280mph

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGuHuSuHKc4
I actually made an rc airboat with an electric rc airplane setup a few years ago...it was awesome, and could probably hit about 45mph on dry land...but was wildly unstable. It was a blast to toy around with though.

Blackout

Why does the safety casing around the Fe battery weight 120kg? seems ridiculous. Many bigger sport cars monocoques weight far less.

jwh
jwh

RE aircraft, can you scale up from RC size to something you can sit in which also provides reasonable endurance?

Gaara

What is Powertrain? is it powerunit? the engine? or what exactly?