Formula E

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
domh245

Re: Formula E

The powertrain would essentially be the inverters (turning the DC provided by the battery into an Alternating Current, usable by the motors) and the motors. I would guess that the gearbox and driveshaft as well.

Andres125sx

I´d include the battery, in electrics the battery has a massive influence in perfomance. A poor battery will have a voltage drop when discharging at high current, while a good battery will hold a higher voltage. Since final rpm are a function of motor kv (rpm/volt) and battery voltage, the battery is as important as the motor itself

autogyro

I am disappointed that there is little tech info on the eight homologated power trains that will be used in FE next season.

It is time the series was taken more seriously.

piast9

For season two the rules regarding the powertrains have been opened and eight new manufacturers have entered Formula E. The new motors, invertors and gearboxes have created unique new sounds. Listen to the difference here.

J.A.W.

Sounds.. just bloody lovely..
..if you are a dentist who's really into diggin' the drillin'..

Frankly, a cool synthetic sci-fi type sound-track over-dub.. would be very much preferable, IMO..
Last edited by Steven on 27 Aug 2015, 16:29, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Removed ranting on ratings
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

Andres125sx

Nextev is my favourite, it is very different to the rest

ABT is the opposite, too high pitched to me

Jonnycraig

Jacques Villeneuve backs up what Da Costa, Vergne, Piquet & others before him have stated, in the the Formula E cars are incredibly challenging to drive on the limit:
"It’s better every day and it’s very enjoyable. It’s a proper race car which makes it fun to work with the set up and you can see all the evolutions which is good.
It’s like any other race car in some respects, but to go and get that last tenth is very hard. You really have to drive them flat out and well, which is fun. The energy aspect of things is very interesting, it’s mentally taxing and finding a way to go quick without using all the energy is particularly interesting

We are happy with what we have and it’s good now we have had some wet running because if it’s wet on a street course then it will be hell"

mzso

piast9 wrote:
For season two the rules regarding the powertrains have been opened and eight new manufacturers have entered Formula E. The new motors, invertors and gearboxes have created unique new sounds. Listen to the difference here.
Please god give us a direct-drive formula.

autogyro

mzso wrote:
piast9 wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zBFeAPSpbM
Please god give us a direct-drive formula.
Direct drive does not make full use of the electrical system.
What they need is a 'gearbox' that uses a shift system advanced enough to do justice to electric drive and silent in operation.
;-) ;-) ;-)

machin

According to the latest Racetech magazine, the set-ups are as follows:

Single Motor, 5 Ratios; Andretti, Aguri, Trulli
Twin Motor, single ratio: Virgin, NextEv TCr
Twin Motor, two ratios ; Renault E.Dams
Single Motor, 3 ratios; Audi Sport Abt
Single Motor, 4 ratios; Mahindra, Venturi, Dragon Racing,

All drive through a single input mechanical differential (as required by the rules). All use the same battery (as required by the rules), and I believe the battery is limited to a maximum power output (dependent on whether it is race or qualifying), but teams gain by having higher power transmission efficiency...
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

Andres125sx

machin wrote:All drive through a single input mechanical differential (as required by the rules).
Differential required by the rules?

What´s the point of using twin motors then?

machin

Apparently in most cases the twin motors share a common output shaft, but are wound differently and supplied with separate power, this allows them to either power one motor or the other, or both simultaneously, to manipulate the shape of the power curve and/or optimise the powertrain efficiency to the driving scenario (steady-state-cornering, coming out of the corner, end of straight etc.)

Andres125sx

Interesting thanks

But I can´t understand the mandatory use of a mechanical differential in FE

machin

I think the plan is essentially to "free-up" different areas of the car season-by-season as a way to control costs... I'm assuming that in seasons to come we'll see the differential and battery being "freed-up" at some point... If they'd done it all in one go then the team with the biggest budget would have a massive advantage over the others....

dero

I for myself would love to see free battery development.
I don't think it would lead to much better performance but to much more drama.
Imagine a few hundred kilograms of burning Lithium :twisted:

I'm pretty sure it won't happen because the Series was in part created to improve the recognition of e-tech to the mass market. Burning batteries that can't really be extinguished properly would not help.

cheers Stefan