Racing a kart

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
krisfx
krisfx

Re: Racing a kart

N12ck wrote:this is getting a bit off topic, the fact is, to get round a tight corner fast you must lift the inside rear wheel, so there is no point talking about other series,

back to how to be fast, when in the wet, it is a good idea to lean forwards to get the rear end to spin up as you come out of corners, and as you brake, lean backwards to put weight on the rear axle
Get your head right behind the steering wheel for full bandit mode =D

My friend raced BSKC a few years ago btw

Nando
Nando

Scootin159 wrote:Another thing to remember is that v8 supercars are running tracks with significantly larger radius corners, so the side to side speed difference is less significant. The inside wheel is still slipping, but to a much lesser degree.
they run tight street courses as well.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

Scootin159
Scootin159

Nando wrote:
Scootin159 wrote:Another thing to remember is that v8 supercars are running tracks with significantly larger radius corners, so the side to side speed difference is less significant. The inside wheel is still slipping, but to a much lesser degree.
they run tight street courses as well.
Even the [I forget what's it's officially called now] Lowes hairpin at Monaco isn't as tight as a "hairpin" at a go kart track.

krisfx
krisfx

I must have missed the part where this topic title was "Racing a V8 Super Car" Wouldn't it be wise to have your arguments in another thread?

This forum is meant to be full of technically minded people and half of you can't even post relevant information!

Nando
Nando

Well the conversation was about Karts, and it still is, just that none has posted anythign further on it.
But we also discussed the diff which is fairly similar to what V8 supercars use.
It doesn´t follow the thread religiously but i think it´s still in touch with the thread.

beelsebob
beelsebob

Nando wrote:Well the conversation was about Karts, and it still is, just that none has posted anythign further on it.
But we also discussed the diff which is fairly similar to what V8 supercars use.
It doesn´t follow the thread religiously but i think it´s still in touch with the thread.
I'd suggest you create a thread on "how do V8 supercars corner" if you want to discuss that.

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

racing a kart would be easier and better if there was a freewheel on each driven hub ?

this would act as an open differential on corner entry (throttle-off), and as a locked diff when straight
in turning with power the inner wheel is driving and the outer wheel freewheeling (overrunning)
so the kart is trying to reduce the turn (nicely fof corner exit)
with gears, you can change down without using the clutch

has this scheme been tried ?

Nando
Nando

beelsebob wrote:
Nando wrote:Well the conversation was about Karts, and it still is, just that none has posted anythign further on it.
I'd suggest you create a thread on "how do V8 supercars corner" if you want to discuss that.
Looks to me the discussion has finished...

Scootin159
Scootin159

Tommy Cookers wrote:racing a kart would be easier and better if there was a freewheel on each driven hub ?

this would act as an open differential on corner entry (throttle-off), and as a locked diff when straight
in turning with power the inner wheel is driving and the outer wheel freewheeling (overrunning)
so the kart is trying to reduce the turn (nicely fof corner exit)
with gears, you can change down without using the clutch

has this scheme been tried ?
I've toyed with this exact design, and it runs into one major problem:

When you hit the brakes it would cause the free wheel to open up and you would have no brakes.

To combat the problem you would need wheel hub level brakes, not just a single axle brake. It can be done, but the weight and complexity would likely make it of no benefit.

JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

I was karting last weekend, the first time I had been in a very long while, and had the opportunity to test a couple of things mentioned in this thread. Hope some people with karting experience could agree or refute anything I said.

1.Lifting the inside rear wheel, unfortunately I don't think the karts I am racing were set up to do that, I was leaning my weight on the outside wheel in the slow sharp corners and just could not get the wheels to come of the ground; at least I didn't notice it. I suspect there are no other tricks in this regard?

2.Snaking, I was able to do this but it is a technique that seems to be reserved for only high speed and only when you are of the throttle, if you try and do this at low speed you end up killing your momentum. At high speed you can use it to just deceleration a little with the added benefit of positing the car better on the exit. Is there any other times where you can do this?

by and large though, smoother is definitely faster with low grip, low power karts so far as I can tell.

Now one other thing...

Cornering

In a situation were you are arriving at a slow sharp corner, such as a harprin after a long straight is it better to do the following:
a. Brake in a straight line but carry momentum across the apex and accelerate hard when you have grip on the other side
b. Brake in a straight line, you are slower on entry but you get the power down mid corner
c. Brake and turn into the corner, and carry momentum through the corner
d. Brake and turn into the corner and apply throttle mid apex

...now c and d would seem better, because you are braking later and by extending the braking zone, but in low grip, low power karts if there is any slide I seem to be killing momentum thereby making c and d slower. Is that just a case of me not doing it correctly, or is customary to be slower using those two methods when karting with low grip/low power machinery.

Thanks Guys :mrgreen: