WEC (World Endurance Championship) 2013

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...

Re: WEC (World Endurance Championship) 2013

Ugh, terrible news. RIP Allan

FWIW on Speed when they interviewed one of the team guys coming out of the care center he said he couldn't comment on his condition or if he was even conscious. That was while the race was still behind the SC. That was an ominous sign to me.
Last edited by 1158 on 22 Jun 2013, 18:16, edited 1 time in total.

timbo
timbo

Heartbraking news :(

Blanchimont
Blanchimont

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q623g1mKpdE

Looks like he simply lost control in the wet.
Dear FIA, if you read this, please pm me for a redesign of the Technical Regulations to avoid finger nose shapes for 2016! :-)

Bomber_Pilot

Seems like he lost it on the paint. Very sad news.I thought he was ok, especially after the reporters said that he was talking to the marshals.

amouzouris

Looks like the Toyota's are falling behind atm..They haven't got the pace despite being able to do longer stints

timbo
timbo

Bomber_Pilot wrote:Seems like he lost it on the paint. Very sad news.I thought he was ok, especially after the reporters said that he was talking to the marshals.
Yes, heard that too and was relieved...

Why there's no tyre barriers in that place? It's pretty tough corner.

Bomber_Pilot

And Audis are doing better than they expected in fuel consumption.

Blanchimont
Blanchimont

Audi stints are 11, Toyota 12 laps at the moment. Saving time by doing fewer pit stops is the only possibility for Toyota to win if it stays mostly dry.
Dear FIA, if you read this, please pm me for a redesign of the Technical Regulations to avoid finger nose shapes for 2016! :-)

timbo
timbo

Bomber_Pilot wrote:And Audis are doing better than they expected in fuel consumption.
Not sure it's better than THEY expected, they could've been sandbagging.

timbo wrote:
Bomber_Pilot wrote:Seems like he lost it on the paint. Very sad news.I thought he was ok, especially after the reporters said that he was talking to the marshals.
Yes, heard that too and was relieved...

Why there's no tyre barriers in that place? It's pretty tough corner.

No tyre barriers there. Also when the armco was being replaced there was a camera angle that showed some damage to a hefty tree behind the barrier. Have to wonder if that played any part in making it worse than it should have been. The cars carry good speed through that section.

WhiteBlue

timbo wrote:
Bomber_Pilot wrote:And Audis are doing better than they expected in fuel consumption.
Audi were supposed to do 10 laps on the max performance settings. It looks to me that they changed strategy with an engine map that is more tweaked towards better reach. It could be a result of the mixed weather conditions that do not favour very high speeds. Toyota seem to have reacted by short fuelling one stint in order to stay in contact somehow.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

WhiteBlue wrote:
timbo wrote:
Audi were supposed to do 10 laps on the max performance settings. It looks to me that they changed strategy with an engine map that is more tweaked towards better reach. It could be a result of the mixed weather conditions that do not favour very high speeds. Toyota seem to have reacted by short fuelling one stint in order to stay in contact somehow.

Audi engineer interviewed on Speed said they asked the drivers to carry more speed through the corners and a little less on the straights to see if they can stretch the mileage and go for 11 laps.

Shaping up to be an interesting night.

timbo
timbo

1158 wrote:No tyre barriers there. Also when the armco was being replaced there was a camera angle that showed some damage to a hefty tree behind the barrier. Have to wonder if that played any part in making it worse than it should have been. The cars carry good speed through that section.
Seems likely to me. There was something strange with the car damage, haven't seen doors torn off like that.

WhiteBlue

safety car, it will help Toyota I think
Dieter Gass from Audi paid a visit to the German Eurosport commentator booth and was confident that the Audis can keep the lead if nothing fundamentally changes. They need to be 1 s per lap faster for every lap of fuel they can do less. Mostly they are doing ok there.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)