IndyCar Series

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
McMrocks

Re: IndyCar Series

Castroneves basically lost the championship on this weekend. While Dixon had two solid results he had to "DNF"... yes i know he has finished but the way he did makes it feel like a dnf.

I'm looking forward to a great race

I hope Dario gets well soon!

hairy_scotsman

Photo courtesy of "BigTex" on the FerrariChat.com forum.

I was in front of the temporary grey building for the start of the race (just to the right of these stands). Pretty much right where Dario's car struck the fence, apparently. We left there after the first yellow.
Follow me on twitter @Austin_F1 ...

hairy_scotsman

Look how the loops remain intact. They just pulled right up and off the bent pole. That's probably fine when the cable is installed to hold the car back and hold the fence together. The big problems seem to be lack of that cable and fan placement (6-10' away on the outside of the fastest turn on the circuit).
Last edited by hairy_scotsman on 08 Oct 2013, 19:44, edited 1 time in total.

FW17

hairy_scotsman

New fan video from the stands. Skip to about half way in. You can see the fence land in the crowd.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yTZTyRzECg[/youtube]
Last edited by hairy_scotsman on 08 Oct 2013, 20:38, edited 1 time in total.

lizardfolk

lizardfolk

Scarier image version of the wreck:

FW17

What is the point of the rear bumper if cars still get launched into the air?

Huntresa

WilliamsF1 wrote:What is the point of the rear bumper if cars still get launched into the air?
To me it looks like Dario misses the rear bumper and more hits Satos rear wheel from the side and rolls up on it or more like just beyond the rear bumper.

munudeges

I saw that and couldn't believe it. Absolute amateur hour.

I'm afraid this formula is a ghetto, and until major wholesale changes are made, starting with attitudes and behaviour, you are going to continue to see major accidents and drivers hurt and killed in Indy I'm afraid.

lizardfolk

WilliamsF1 wrote:What is the point of the rear bumper if cars still get launched into the air?
Unfortunately nothing will ever stop race cars from climbing over each other. If NASCAR and BTCC cars still manages to find a way to shoot over each other there's nothing IndyCar can ever do. The bumpers just help that a little bit but IndyCars will continue to launch over each other with that kind of accidents. After a certain impact speed with those particular sections of the cars colliding, the wheels will always touch each other and that will always launch the car. The bumpers just make these kinds of accidents a little more rare.
munudeges wrote:until major wholesale changes are made, starting with attitudes and behaviour, you are going to continue to see major accidents and drivers hurt and killed in Indy I'm afraid.
Unless IndyCar starts going to Tilkedome tracks and completely remove all the ovals you'll never remove major incidents in IndyCar even with the professionalism of F1. You already get major incidents and shunts with Gp2 and F1 at Monaco.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ROO1XbFR90[/youtube]

It's the exact same type of accident. Only at Houston that corner is a lot quicker than Monaco's Tabac. Grosjean was lucky Monaco is a slow track.

That said, IndyCar needs to be a lot more conscientious about spectators and needs start updating street track facilities a little more. The only thing IndyCar did wrong at Houston was letting the spectators get too close on the outside of a fast turn and having a fencing that wasn't really up to standards. Otherwise the shunt at Houston is a typical open wheel street course crash

hairy_scotsman

I posted a gallery of my Houston GP pics ... https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 878&type=1

Preview:

hairy_scotsman

Lizardfolk, I agree. It seems NASCAR & IndyCar just don't want to take this issue seriously. I see this incident and the one in Daytona as important wakeup calls, but apparently they're just gonna hit the snooze button repeatedly. Seems it's going to take a fan death to wake them up.

FW17

Sad to see half the F1 teams running without many sponsor logos while every IRL car providing maximum possible visibility for there backers. F1 teams with global reach still cant scare up any interests from the real world.

I know the 2 cars of the F1 team has to have to have similar livery but sure they can run 2 sponsors as penske did for many years

Sombrero

Unless IndyCar starts going to Tilkedome tracks and completely remove all the ovals you'll never remove major incidents in IndyCar even with the professionalism of F1. You already get major incidents and shunts with Gp2 and F1 at Monaco.
Professionalism like this ?

or professionalism like that ?