WEC (World Endurance Championship) 2014

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Holm86

Re: WEC (World Endurance Championship) 2014

Lycoming wrote:That looks awesome.

The offset single exhaust outlet suggests (though does not confirm) that they are using an inline 4.
Its been confirmed to be a V4 engine. And the single exhaust outlet is natural with a single turbo.

matt21

Audi has unveiled the new R18.

What is a little bit surprising is that Audi has opted to increase the capacity from 3.7 to 4 litres.
The arguement for this is enhanced efficency.

The only thing I can think of in this relation is reduced PPS.

luke!

New 2014 Livery:

Omnicorse.it reports that Audi won't use the MGU-H, maybe because the exhaust gases aren't as hot and fast as the ones of a petrol engine.

Translated article: http://translate.google.it/translate?sl ... co&act=url

Sombrero

The new Audi already in Le Mans ! Hopefully Toyota will not modify its livery for a white one too !

Sebp

A german car in black, red and white?
Don't like the sound (or looks) of that! :-|
No smartphone was involved in creating this message.

Huntresa

luke! wrote:New 2014 Livery:
http://johndagys.wpengine.netdna-cdn.co ... 5-1033.jpg

Omnicorse.it reports that Audi won't use the MGU-H, maybe because the exhaust gases aren't as hot and fast as the ones of a petrol engine.

You do realize that the gases themself doesnt actually have anything to do with the MGU-H used on F1 cars ? I mean the MGU-H takes its energy from the Turbo when it doesnt need to be spun up anymore like on a straight. So i dont see why it wouldnt work with Audis Turbo, it must be something else.

luke!

Huntresa wrote:

You do realize that the gases themself doesnt actually have anything to do with the MGU-H used on F1 cars ? I mean the MGU-H takes its energy from the Turbo when it doesnt need to be spun up anymore like on a straight. So i dont see why it wouldnt work with Audis Turbo, it must be something else.
The MGU-H it's linked to the speed of the exhaust gases because they spin up the turbo, am I right?
It would be interesting knowing how much difference, in terms of speed, there's between the exhaust gases of a diesel engine and the ones of a petrol engine, assuming that they run in the same configuration, obviously.

Huntresa

luke! wrote:
Huntresa wrote:

The MGU-H it's linked to the speed of the exhaust gases because they spin up the turbo, am I right?
It would be interesting knowing how much difference, in terms of speed, there's between the exhaust gases of a diesel engine and the ones of a petrol engine, assuming that they run in the same configuration, obviously.
Yeah but my point was that since they run a turbo on a diesel its gotta be enough to spin the turbo so at some point there would be excess energy no ?

luke!

Huntresa wrote: Yeah but my point was that since they run a turbo on a diesel its gotta be enough to spin the turbo so at some point there would be excess energy no ?
It would seem quite logic but I think that the amount of energy recovered doesn't justify the extra kilos for the MGU-H. Let's not forget that with this configuration they can use more fuel per lap. Maybe Audi engineers recognized that this is the best compromise.

aleks_ader

Huntresa wrote:
luke! wrote:Yeah but my point was that since they run a turbo on a diesel its gotta be enough to spin the turbo so at some point there would be excess energy no ?
Maybe is for now that AUDI aim its resources into more profitable or more problematic areas of the car. Expecialty AERO is one of that areas. That minor advantage with MGU-H could be really marginal in compare AERO gain for same money.

And i discuss with fellow engineers about that matter. And is pretty obvious that the already big difference in exhaust minimum 200 C =>diesel around 800+ C, petrol 1000+ C temperatures (ergo gas speed) make exhaust recovery less efficient.

Even more MGU-H encourage back pressure wawes and that could cause the problems exhaust filters regeneration.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

luke!

aleks_ader wrote:
Huntresa wrote:
luke! wrote:Yeah but my point was that since they run a turbo on a diesel its gotta be enough to spin the turbo so at some point there would be excess energy no ?
Maybe is for now that AUDI aim its resources into more profitable or more problematic areas of the car. Expecialty AERO is one of that areas. That minor advantage with MGU-H could be really marginal in compare AERO gain for same money.

And i discuss with fellow engineers about that matter. And is pretty obvious that the already big difference in exhaust minimum 200 C =>diesel around 800+ C, petrol 1000+ C temperatures (ergo gas speed) make exhaust recovery less efficient.

Even more MGU-H encourage back pressure wawes and that could cause the problems exhaust filters regeneration.
Yeah, I completely agree with you, back pressure would be higher and that would cause a loss of power that needs to be compensated with more fuel consumption.
However, it will be interesting having cars with so different powertrain configurations.

Holm86

Sebp wrote:A german car in black, red and white?
Don't like the sound (or looks) of that! :-|
Fits perfectly with the nationality of their best driver ;-)

langwadt

luke! wrote:
aleks_ader wrote:
Huntresa wrote:

Yeah, I completely agree with you, back pressure would be higher and that would cause a loss of power that needs to be compensated with more fuel consumption.
However, it will be interesting having cars with so different powertrain configurations.
The energy recovered from the MGU-H should be much more than the possible loss from increased back pressure that is the whole point

The reason for the different powertrains is that the rules have been tweaked so that Audi and Toyota wouldn't have to start from scratch

Holm86

Toyota TS040 revealed.

kooleracer

Holm86 wrote:Toyota TS040 revealed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PV8Rfja ... r_embedded
http://newsroom.toyota.eu/newsrelease.d ... ybrid&mid=
With 480PS of four-wheel-drive hybrid boost in addition to the 520PS 3.7litre petrol engine, the TS040 HYBRID, launched today at Paul Ricard, has a maximum power of 1000PS and represents the most advanced hybrid technology in racing.
Could this beast be quicker then the current F1 cars with underdeveloped aero packages? I think it would beat an F1 car around Monza and Spa. WEC LMP1 TS040 870kg and 985bhp power to weight ratio 1.132 vs F1 760bhp +/- abd 691kg power to weight ratio 1.099. Looks like LMP1 are getting back were to use be if look at horsepower great to see. F1 should take notice.
Irvine:"If you don't have a good car you can't win it, unless you are Michael or Senna. Lots of guys won in Adrian Newey's cars, big deal. Adrian is the real genius out there, there is Senna, there is Michael and there is Newey.They were the three great talents."