WRC 2014 season

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Scorpaguy

Re: WRC 2014 season

Been in Sardinia for the Rally, VW is spending a fortune on this. They will not be beat. It's a shame as Mikko could challenge given equal dollars. Ogier has a car tailor made for him with unlimited spares and development. Citroen seem to have cut their budget significantly. Hyundai seem serious. I wish MSport had more Ford support. All of the teams have great staff and drivers, it's just down to money.

This sport needs more major teams so they can field 20 wrc cars...it's really a great spectacle live.

MadMatt

Scorpaguy wrote:Been in Sardinia for the Rally, VW is spending a fortune on this. They will not be beat. It's a shame as Mikko could challenge given equal dollars. Ogier has a car tailor made for him with unlimited spares and development. Citroen seem to have cut their budget significantly. Hyundai seem serious. I wish MSport had more Ford support. All of the teams have great staff and drivers, it's just down to money.

This sport needs more major teams so they can field 20 wrc cars...it's really a great spectacle live.
Yes, working for one of these teams, you gave a good view on what is happening. Last year was pretty much the same, then no wonder Hyundai bought Neuville when you see he finished 2nd in his first year with the Fiesta in a team not supported by any manufacturer. :)

Next rally Poland, we will see if Robert holds the pressure!

iotar__

Long, good interview with Kubica & Ogier. Less about Ogier, Polish but google translation should be more or less understandable: http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... 1,352.html

Funny bit or urban legend explained: 2012 Ford test with Latvala on tarmac track where Kubica was faster ;-)

zonk

zgred

https://twitter.com/MundoRallyes/status ... 2330651648 [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MxZaF437bc#t=12[/youtube]

Kubica's adventure - fortunately still in the game.

zonk

Crazy 14 stage

There were punctures for Henning Solberg, Robert Kubica and Kris Meeke. Elfyn Evans went off and damaged his car's suspension. Latvala damaged his front right suspension, the damper breaking through his car's bonnet. Ostberg rolled after hitting a rock and Ogier stopped at the incident.

Meeke
Evans
Latvala
Ostberg
Kubica

stefan_

Toyota Yaris WRC test:

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

MadMatt

Ahead of Deutschland Rally, do you think Kubica got a chance of a podium? Discuss! :)

zonk

His Fiesta is to weak I think. Constant problems with gearbox and handbrake
[youtube]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Iq0fO9kCHkY[/youtube]

MadMatt

I don't think handbrake is an issue but gearshift yes, but next year everybody will be under the same system, hydraulic so hopefully this should go away.

MadMatt

Soooo after Jari-Matti's first tarmac win in France, the next step is Spain, a mixture of tarmac and gravel.

But the big news is that Kubica might leave M-Sport to go back to Citroën, as he's not happy with the British team!

stefan_

With all the respect for Kubica, but I think he might want to change a bit more than the team because that car doesn't keep crashing by itself.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

MadMatt

And without much of a surprise, Ogier wings the 2014 WRC title! Congratulations to him and to VW, I really doubt they will be beaten next year.

MadMatt

Hyundai tested their new i20 WRC few weeks ago:

Its got 2 extra doors!

Pierce89

MadMatt wrote:
Scorpaguy wrote:Been in Sardinia for the Rally, VW is spending a fortune on this. They will not be beat. It's a shame as Mikko could challenge given equal dollars. Ogier has a car tailor made for him with unlimited spares and development. Citroen seem to have cut their budget significantly. Hyundai seem serious. I wish MSport had more Ford support. All of the teams have great staff and drivers, it's just down to money.

Yes, working for one of these teams, you gave a good view on what is happening. Last year was pretty much the same, then no wonder Hyundai bought Neuville when you see he finished 2nd in his first year with the Fiesta in a team not supported by any manufacturer. :)

Next rally Poland, we will see if Robert holds the pressure!
Hopefully the Toyota challenge will materialize soon, but they spend less on Lemans than the other manufacturers and might do the same in WRC.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher