Jacques Villeneuve returns to Indy 500

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
fritticaldi

The '97 F1 champion will join the Schmidt-Peterson team for the Indy 500. A press conference is scheduled for Wednesday, Feb. 26. Villeneuve won the classic race in '95 as well as the IndyCar title. This will be a return to open wheel racing for JV . He has had largely disppointing results in other series since then.

BoomBoom
BoomBoom

Re: Jacques Villeneuve returns to Indy 500

who? :)

Steven
Owner

Really? And he will also compete in Rallycross this year, an entire season from what I have read. Busy bee

fritticaldi

What is remarkable is that JV won the event a staggering 19 years ago. He returns at 42 yrs old. =D>

xDama
xDama

fritticaldi wrote:What is remarkable is that JV won the event a staggering 19 years ago. He returns at 42 yrs old. =D>
It's because of things like this, I'm really starting to notice I'm getting older... I remember when I was watching this race when I was about 7... Time flies.

But, very excited to see him back! Same with Montoya. Can't wait for this one!
"I race to win, and if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver." - Ayrton Senna

Sebp

I'm still pissed he didn't win his first race for Williams. :lol: Feels like yesterday and ages ago at the same time.
Sooooooo close!!!
No smartphone was involved in creating this message.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Memories .......

I was a huge fan of Jacques, adored his dad and uncle, and remember when he had hair down to his ass. I watched his climb through Formula Atlantic, then to CART. In racing terms, that was forever ago, some of the current drivers were Mario, Fittipaldi, Mansell, Al Unser Jr, Bobby Rahal, wow, those were the glory days of CART and it was incredibly competitive. He broke in with a bang, won rookie of the year then the following year was nothing short of incredibly spectacular. I have to say that if his nationality had been British or from the USA, someone would have probably made a movie about his performance and drama of the Indy 500. Two laps down and he still won the race, incredible.

His Formula One career was spectacular, and of course controversial, I'm sure most are aware of his exploits with Williams and BAR.

So let's examine his Indy 500 record .. two starts, the first resulted in a second place, and the second a win. So although the old dog is long in the tooth and he's had many interesting years in between, just like Montoya, he offers excitement and interest.

So I guess the organizers achieved their goals, because I will definitely tune in for the race and watch to see what happens.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

cossie
cossie

He slams f1, now wants to go spec racing in a back breaker,wonder how much the hulman clan is footing this bill

bdr529

xDama wrote:
fritticaldi wrote:What is remarkable is that JV won the event a staggering 19 years ago. He returns at 42 yrs old. =D>
It's because of things like this, I'm really starting to notice I'm getting older... I remember when I was watching this race when I was about 7... Time flies.
It's comments like this, that make me feel old, I was 30 when he won that Indy 500
I'm not expecting much, but I will look foward to seeing how he makes out,
I'll still be pushing forJames Hinchcliffe to win the race though

xDama
xDama

DaveKillens wrote:So I guess the organizers achieved their goals, because I will definitely tune in for the race and watch to see what happens.
+1!
bdr529 wrote:It's comments like this, that make me feel old, I was 30 when he won that Indy 500
Sorry for that :D
"I race to win, and if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver." - Ayrton Senna

gogionido
gogionido

is there a 2CV group in Penzance or surrounding area,

also a recommended indy
as a friend of mine has moved there and would like to find someone for repairers as and when required

regards malcolm