difference f3, wtcc, btcc production engines?

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
roninho

difference f3, wtcc, btcc production engines?

Hi there,
as a technical noob i was wondering what the differences are/were between the 2.0l engines in british F3, BTCC and WTCC (the ones used up till a year ago). They are all production engines if i am not mistaken, however they seem to perform quite different:

British F3: Volkswagen 2.0L 4 cylinder, 215 hp @ 5800 rpm.
BTCC 2014: Honda NGTC Civic 2.0L, 300+hp @ ?
WTCC 2009: Chevrolet Cruze 2.0L 4 cylinder, 285 hp @ 8400 rpm.

So significant different hp output and rpm range. Are these the same type of engines? What is different? Could you use a BTCC/WTCC in a formula car?

Not a specific reason for the question, just wondering how production based racing engines of the same capacity seem to have such different outputs.

Thanks.

andylaurence

Re: difference f3, wtcc, btcc production engines?

The F3 has a restrictor, the BTCC has a (boost limited) turbo and the WTCC has a rev limit. Different rules = different power outputs. People do use touring car engines in single seaters and it used to be popular for the pre-turbo engines from the BTCC to be used in club level single seaters.

wesley123

Re: difference f3, wtcc, btcc production engines?

I believe this engine is part of the "world engine". Anyways, as Andy said, engines have different power outputs in the different scenarios, the most obvious one being the F3 engine, which has an intake restrictor.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender