Isle of Man TT needs a rethink?

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
strad

Re: Isle of Man TT needs a rethink?

To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

strad

To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

it was said that the TT fatality rate relative to mileage was less than the public road motorcycling fatality rate eg in Germany
annually there's about 500 TT entries each riding maybe 500 miles ?

SectorOne

i would not be surprised, professional drivers knowing what they are doing despite going faster.
Everyone goes the same way and usually if you fall off (here in Europe at least) we have some guardrails that looks like they were designed to decapitate motorcyclists.
Even if you fall of at relatively slow speed those pillars will cause some serious damage if you get tangled in them.

These yellow ones probably saves a tonne of drivers every year.

this would never have happened with guardrails designed for both cars and bikes.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

strad

OK, one last TT video. Another look at the Seniors race, but with some different footage. However what I thought was important is their comments before and after. They love and live for this race and they sure don't sound crazy to me. Hard for an American to understand, but not crazy. I should add that the TT was part of the Moto GP championship for years and years.
http://www.stradsplace.com/VIDEOS/2014- ... panded.wmv
Last edited by strad on 15 Aug 2014, 19:09, edited 3 times in total.
Sir Stirling Moss

Gatecrasher
Gatecrasher

Loved watching the Mark Higgins Vid in a 2011 production STI at 19mins 37 secs with ave 115mph over the 37 mile course. Before I post race results which may be different to what Mark can to with a WRC car I would like you to think about where electric powered vehicles will be in the future at the IOM and other race tracks.

MotoCzysz: Ave Lap Speed
2010 96.8 mph
2011 99.6 mph
2012 104.1 mph
2013 109.7 mph

The IOMTT today is both 2 weeks where racers are pushed the limit and and for machines that are new and innovative.

That is what true racing started as.

I grew up with Rally cars and have huge respect for the GRP B drivers