Tony Stewart involved in fatal sprint car incident

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
turbof1

Re: Tony Stewart involved in fatal sprint car incident

richard_leeds wrote:
SectorOne wrote:That is just mental.

"A toxicology report revealed that the marijuana was “enough to impair judgment” for Ward"

It´s scary how ignorant people are who writes reports. Just shows a complete lack of understanding.
If it wasn't mentioned then people would complain of a cover up.

Surely a driver with enough marijuana to impair judgement is relevant? It tells the world that this is a race series with drivers smoking dope. It also features drivers regularly walking on track. One fact does not excuse the other, both are stupid.
Should indeed have been mentioned, but surely with a bit more tact then that. Drivers also walked on the track without drugs in their bodies (well, assumingly). Now you might get the message across in a wrong way, saying you can get on the track as long as you don't have any drugs in your body.
#AeroFrodo

SectorOne

richard_leeds wrote:Surely a driver with enough marijuana to impair judgement is relevant?
That´s the whole issue, it just stinks of pseudoscience to blatantly blame marijuana for him walking out on track among cars when so many drivers in American racing series has done this.

I honestly don´t think you can make that sort of statement.
It´s one thing to say that he did have marijuana in his blood but to just blame that for his actions is just mental.

It´s like reefer madness all over again.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Phil

Maybe the article is focusing too much on the toxicology report. The article also mentions that...

"Among other evidence viewed by the jury were two videos of the accident, both of which Ontario County (N.Y.) District Attorney Michael Tantillo said showed “no aberrational driving” on Stewart’s part."

"Tantillo added that more than two-dozen witnesses gave evidence over the best part of two days, after which the jury took less than an hour to make it call."

From that, to me, it doesn't sound as if the jury only focused on the toxicology report, but other factors as well. Probably came down to; 1.) Stewart didn't have much time to react or pull something stupid and 2.) Ward was walking the track in a dangerous manner 3.) the toxicology report may indicate why Ward was walking the track in the first place.

The conclusion doesn't seem that outrageous to me personally.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Richard
Richard

@sectorone

Alternative message - Only dope heads would walk on track.

Let's see how things play out. Maybe it'll bring people to their senses and track walking will be seen as stupid in future. Or maybe they'll be more cynical and use the dope results to say its OK if you're sober.

Hobbs04
Hobbs04

Phil wrote:
Hobbs04 wrote:Depending on the time of the sample a reading above 3 ng could be deemed over the legal limit per se in most scientific research.
Just a minor point, but wouldn't the time of the sample be irrelevant, given its a post mortem toxicology report?
There us still chemical processes going on through the body after death which can greatly skew the results. Unfortunately the truth is no one will ever know the true sobriety of Ward and I can't imagine what the family is going through considering this recent autopsy report.

I think based on the articles I have read there are two possible scenarios of the tox report which neither put Ward in a good light.

First scenario- Ward smoked just prior to racing and had a high active metabolite.

Or

Second - Ward smokes a decent amount everyday which creates a base of the inactive metabolite so high it can be detected for several weeks, which may not indicate he was high but best case scenario he is labeled as a pot head/ heavy user.

MOWOG

Back in the days between WW I and WW II, gentlemen racers were known to partake of "the red infuriator" to sharpen their competitive urges. I myself always believed I was a better driver after a drink or two than I was sober (a common misconception). It was only when I gave up drinking that I realized how idiotic that notion was. :oops:

A significant percentage of the population is high on something or other - often something prescribed by a physician - on a regular basis.

"A clean mind in a clean body" is a laudable ideal but one that is only rarely achieved. :?
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.

xpensive
xpensive

I've read somewhere that Phil Hill was at his best with a smashing hangover?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

SectorOne

I´m sure there are alot of myths from that era :)
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

xpensive
xpensive

Yeah...

"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Minusprevious

^^^Pic taken prior to staging on grid :lol:

Tony is a hot head & tried to intimidate Ward by burping his throttle into an oversteer condition. Thats what I believe happened. Doesnt matter whether Ward had marijuana in his system. They should have checked Tonys blood. Im sure he did as well :lol:
E85 Powered 400 WHP Mitsubishi EVO Track Day Car

Pro Jesus / John 9:25 Though I was blind, Now I See

SectorOne

The image unfortunately does not show any facts of a driver performing better while having been sh*tfaced the day prior to it.

The fact that they smoke or drank is well established though.

Moxie
Moxie

It was stated that levels of marijuana were high enough to impair judgement. It did not say that the presence of marijuana was causal. Clearly he ran onto the track because he was pissed off.

Many times over the years I have seen people, and have been guilty myself, of failing to restrain emotions while under the influence of drugs or alcohol. It is perfectly reasonable to believe that the presence of this "soft drug". Contributed to the tragedy.

strad

Minusprevious wrote:^^^ :lol:

. They should have checked Tonys blood. Im sure he did as well :lol:
And just HOW did you leap to that conclusion?
You know Tony personally?
You can attest to his use of weed?
I seriously doubt either. :x
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

strad

Moxie:
I have been known to blow my top and over react without having touch pot or alcohol.
Sometimes people just get pissed off.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

strad

Hunt also snorted cocaine. So What.
They give USAF pilots amphetamines and they function just fine.
Sir Stirling Moss