Tony Stewart involved in fatal sprint car incident

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
FW17

Re: Tony Stewart involved in fatal sprint car incident

bdr529 wrote:
strad wrote:I can see who knows something about Sprint cars and who doesn't. :roll:
I was thinking the samething,
http://youtu.be/L6AHPvhe3NM

I know nothing of sprint cars, but i fail to understand claims that the car is so heavy to steer, turn, control etc at low speeds, while in the video posted the the driver is driving around with one hand until the race starts. No use of throttle to control the car, so pls explain those events and why tony had to slide the car while others did not, if he was faster, why was he faster in a caution period.

As for limited visibility of the track, that thing as per the video has as much visibility as a bus, i see no reason complain about it.

cma
cma

No "criminal behaviour" uncovered as yet

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/motorsport/28752073

Moxie
Moxie

WilliamsF1 wrote:
I know nothing of sprint cars, but i fail to understand claims that the car is so heavy to steer, turn, control etc at low speeds, while in the video posted the the driver is driving around with one hand until the race starts. No use of throttle to control the car, so pls explain those events and why tony had to slide the car while others did not, if he was faster, why was he faster in a caution period.

As for limited visibility of the track, that thing as per the video has as much visibility as a bus, i see no reason complain about it.
Return to an earlier post:

Was he trying to scare Ward?
Was he trying to throw dirt at Ward?
Was he trying to harm Ward?
Was he trying to take evasive action?

FW17

Moxie wrote:
Return to an earlier post:

Was he trying to scare Ward?
Was he trying to throw dirt at Ward?
Was he trying to harm Ward?
Was he trying to take evasive action?
In some countries you can get away with hitting a jaywalker, while in others it is debatable. Wonder what the law in US.

MOWOG

Wonder what the law in US
By and large, the law takes a very dim view of hitting pedestrians with a motor vehicle - unless they are sky diving and land in front of you quite suddenly! :P

But I don't think the law EVER contemplates someone taking a stroll on a hot race track. But in America, the legal system is based upon the "deep pockets theory" and has little if anything to do with justice. Methinks Mr. Stewart will have an opportunity to experience that system at close range and in intimate detail. :wtf:
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.

theblackangus
theblackangus

I think another thing that some people are forgetting is that when you participate in an event like this you sign a form that pretty much says: If you die, that's your fault. Even if someone else hits you.

I'm sure if there was intent proven somehow, this may not stand up strongly. But with no intent.... that's jut racing.

FW17

theblackangus wrote:I think another thing that some people are forgetting is that when you participate in an event like this you sign a form that pretty much says: If you die, that's your fault. Even if someone else hits you.

I'm sure if there was intent proven somehow, this may not stand up strongly. But with no intent.... that's jut racing.

don't need intent for criminally negligent

Moxie
Moxie

WilliamsF1 wrote:
theblackangus wrote:I think another thing that some people are forgetting is that when you participate in an event like this you sign a form that pretty much says: If you die, that's your fault. Even if someone else hits you.

don't need intent for criminally negligent
There would be several legal principles involved here:

Assumption of the risk. If you play golf then you accept the risk that you may be hit by an errant golf ball. However assumption of the risk does not give golfers freedom to intentionally target each other. The same would hold true in racing despite the waivers. If one driver intentionally hits and kills another driver, a crime has been committed. The legal difficulty is proving intent. Can it be PROVEN beyond a reasonable doubt that Tony Stewart INTENDED to do anything other than avoid the approaching Mr. Ward?

The deep pockets theory does apply in civil law, where the family can sue Mr. Stewart for wrongful death. Those kinds of cases are like a free for all with a lot of subjective decisions made by juries. Many times the accused will pay just make the case go away.

FW17

Moxie wrote: The deep pockets theory does apply in civil law, where the family can sue Mr. Stewart for wrongful death. Those kinds of cases are like a free for all with a lot of subjective decisions made by juries. Many times the accused will pay just make the case go away.
Out of court settlement, sooner the better for tony.

No way this is going away despite the facts (strong) like sprint cars don't turn, black overalls, low visibility etc.

MOWOG

some people are forgetting is that when you participate in an event like this you sign a form that pretty much says: If you die, that's your fault. Even if someone else hits you.
That's true. However, in the US, anyone can sue anyone else at any time about anything. (And frequently do... :roll: ) Perhaps the best example of this happened after the death of Mark Donahue. His executor filed suit against Goodyear and won, even though Donahue was on record as saying "If I ever die in a race car, blame me, not the car." The jury awarded his estate a fairly sizable sum of money anyway. :cry:

Some insurance company somewhere will pay a nice chunk of change to the deceased's heirs to make this go away because they are terrified of what "12 jurors tried and true" might do. Also, in most jurisdictions, civil jury decisions can be by majority vote. All the jurors do not have to agree. That's double trouble for defendants. :?
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.

FW17

MOWOG wrote:"12 jurors tried and true"
and everyone who loves jury duty...........

strad

I know nothing of sprint cars
That says it all, thank you very much.
This from a sprint car site
With a power-to-weight ratio comparable to a Formula 1 racer's, and a short, tippy frame, a sprint car spends most of its time scrabbling for traction, broadsliding around the corners, wheelstanding on the straights, and throwing clay into the stands, while the driver wrestles frantically with the steering wheel.
You can see out in front of you, you can see the cars and everything but you have a rock screen too in front of your face,” “But on the right side of the car, the wing kind of hangs low and it's hard to see right in the front corner.”

sprint cars are different than normal cars because they don’t turn with just the steering wheel. He said a driver has to give the car gas.

“Once you give it gas, the car kind of does pull to the left a little bit,” .

Former racer Rodney White said, “Those cars turn on the throttle. You'll hear that a lot and basically what that means is to get the car to turn, you have to hit the gas. They don't necessarily turn with the steering wheel.”
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

FW17

strad wrote:
I know nothing of sprint cars
That says it all, thank you very much.
This from a sprint car site
With a power-to-weight ratio comparable to a Formula 1 racer's, and a short, tippy frame, a sprint car spends most of its time scrabbling for traction, broadsliding around the corners, wheelstanding on the straights, and throwing clay into the stands, while the driver wrestles frantically with the steering wheel.
You can see out in front of you, you can see the cars and everything but you have a rock screen too in front of your face,” “But on the right side of the car, the wing kind of hangs low and it's hard to see right in the front corner.”

sprint cars are different than normal cars because they don’t turn with just the steering wheel. He said a driver has to give the car gas.

“Once you give it gas, the car kind of does pull to the left a little bit,” .

Former racer Rodney White said, “Those cars turn on the throttle. You'll hear that a lot and basically what that means is to get the car to turn, you have to hit the gas. They don't necessarily turn with the steering wheel.”

So whats your point? you copy and paste some BS from their from their PR dept and use that as referance. Anyway what is your point on the turning the car during a non racing period? there is noting on it.

Does not matter about the wing end plate, you can still see what is in front of you, there is no blind spot in front of the car.

marcush.
marcush.

guys ,i have campaigned a car with a locked diff in competition and to be honest the beast was just unsuitable for :
going slow in the paddock or trying to push around by humanpower (and we had to ...to save the expensive parts)
All it wanted to do was go straight ahead ..
This all changed as soon as you went up to speed -it was perfectly compensating for its chassis deficiencies through the locked diff but you needed to be committed to drive it as the more you gave it second thoughts and hesitateted to floor it the more it understeered .

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

marcush. wrote:guys ,i have campaigned a car with a locked diff in competition [...] All it wanted to do was go straight ahead
And how much stagger did you have on the rear tires? Zero?
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.