Formula 4

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Andres125sx

Formula 4

I´ve notice this is not new, it started this seasson, but since it´s new in Spain I´ve just discovered it...

First thought was... another one? Not enough with F3, WS, GP3, GP2...?

But after reading the characteristics, it looks like a way better first step into single seaters than any other existing option:

- Spec cars, 160hp engines that may differ from country to country, 4 cylinder mandatory, displacement not restricted, both turbo and atmospheric engines allowed. Spain will use Ford Ecoboost 1.6 turbo

- Cars are property of the championship, drivers will get it on friday, and will return it after last sunday race, so no transport costs for the teams.

- Friday tests are open for drivers who do not compete yet, but want to test the car

So it actually is some sort of most affordable F3, wich is too expensive to be a good option as first single seater championship

Spanish new with promo video

Wikipedia page

Steven
Owner

Re: Formula 4

Admitting that I know close to nothing about F4, I see "spec cars", but 2 different nose cones in the pictures.
Is that the chassis supplier trying out different stuff, or can drivers/teams alter some items?

George-Jung

Roll hoop or air intake also different on both cars..

radosav

Some great racing moves here, watch it, like playing game!

radosav

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oOEn3bw ... ata_player[/youtube]
And prettiest race engineer I've ever seen!

Andres125sx

Steven wrote:Admitting that I know close to nothing about F4, I see "spec cars", but 2 different nose cones in the pictures.
Is that the chassis supplier trying out different stuff, or can drivers/teams alter some items?
Cause british always have to do it their way? :mrgreen:

Seriously, no idea, maybe they´re different seasson cars

PS: Yes, Everts was and always will be the best :D

Raleigh

Andres125sx wrote:
Steven wrote:Admitting that I know close to nothing about F4, I see "spec cars", but 2 different nose cones in the pictures.

Few different series running under the Formula 4 banner and 4 different manufacturers of F4 cars, although each series only uses 1 manufacturer.

Pierce89

Andres125sx wrote:

Everts? If we're talking moto, Everts was afraid to come to the US, like so WMXC's had done before him and after. He wanted nothing to do with the GOAT.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Andres125sx

Blasphemy!! :mrgreen:

Seriously, Everts was so good he looked like cruising around when nobody else was able to chase him. His picture should be linked into wikipedia´s page about "riding technique"

Andres125sx

Raleigh wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:

Few different series running under the Formula 4 banner and 4 different manufacturers of F4 cars, although each series only uses 1 manufacturer.
True, different manufacturers, different engines.... each championship/country may choose what they prefer

Here is the list of manufacturers and each country selection

bill shoe

Price mentioned at Wikipedia is "trying to keep it under Euro100K per season", roughly $120K. This will break down to a little over $10K per race weekend. That's the price point for many arrive and drive series, whether they allow car competition or spec cars.

F4 would get my attention if they started making significant improvements to this price point. It would open the door to more drivers and therefore more/better talent. I don't see F4 as an advance in identifying and training talent. Why does it exist?

Raleigh

bill shoe wrote:Price mentioned at Wikipedia is "trying to keep it under Euro100K per season", roughly $120K. This will break down to a little over $10K per race weekend. That's the price point for many arrive and drive series, whether they allow car competition or spec cars.

F4 would get my attention if they started making significant improvements to this price point. It would open the door to more drivers and therefore more/better talent. I don't see F4 as an advance in identifying and training talent. Why does it exist?
F4 is competing on price point with other entry level series such as Formula Ford but unlike them offers a slicks-and-wings car, making experience gained there more directly translatable to higher formulae. It also heavily undercuts the price of series using cars comparable in performance, IE Formula Renault 1.6 or 2.0 which cost more in the region of 25-35K Euros per race weekend.