MotoGP 2015

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Andres125sx

Re: MotoGP 2015

I watched the race yesterday and wow, what a battle! =D>

I can´t remind Pedrosa being so agressive in his whole career, that had always been his weakest point, he can be damn fast, but when he´s into a group and need to overtake, close doors, etc. he had always had problems

Not this time, and with none other than Rossi, impressive

Hopefully this will increase his confidence and will be a better rival for the other 3 big boys

bdr529

Anyone catch this little mishap the other day Gino Rea CBR600RR

https://video-yyz1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hvide ... e=561150CF

J.A.W.
J.A.W.

Was he hurt? ( Its not a Moto GP race).

M-M & George recently suffered training crash injuries, so, we'll have to see if it affects their fitness for the Nippon race.
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

bdr529

No he was OK from what I saw, he got up and walk away
I know it's not motogp I just thought it best to put it here instead of starting a thread for motorcycles other then motogp.
I don't think the 4 wheel fans care if it's Motogp, WSBK, BSB, it's all 2 wheels to them :D

Márquez had surgery on his left hand, and I read some were last week that he may miss the next race, Who knows, just have to wait and see on Marquez, and Lorenzo has a shoulder injury after a mini bike crash... :shock:

ChrisF1
ChrisF1

They're hard men, they'll brush those injuries off like a mortal would brush off a papercut.

J.A.W.
J.A.W.

Indeed, to see a rider ( as i have) lose the front at the superfast turn 1 at Phillip Island - in practice..
- & at well over 250km/h - skid down off the asphalt.
..then to be checked for fitness & go back out on the spare machine.. full kudos..

Like-wise real hard-men such as Mick Doohan, who eschewed the use of pain-killers as he daily turned the spanner..
..on his threaded-extensible external-fixation leg bone cage-work so as to ensure both healing & equalize length of his legs.

On a technical note, I see that Moto GP race direction has admitted that fuel consumption rules are discarded..
..in a wet race/bike switcheroo scenario..

bdr529

Lorenzo takes pole ahead of Rossi and Marquez, Japanese GP, Motegi

I noticed that Ducati added a second pair of wings to the bike for this weekend race at Motegi.
I'm starting to wounder if Ducati raided the Ferrari F1 parts bin before Audi bought them :lol:

Silent Storm
Silent Storm

Is that bottom winglet a dual element wing or a illusion? I doubt these winglets add downforce they are used like a monkey seat is used in F1.

Better stability and balance is what comes to mind when I look at those winglets.
The ones with the least to say always want to be heard the most…

bdr529

It's not an illusion.
"Better stability and balance" I would've thought the same, but just how bad was the handling that it needed a second pair?
I watched qualifying online with no sound because I was watching the Petit Le Mans on tv again, so I didn't hear the reason, and I haven't read anything as to why they added them

J.A.W.
J.A.W.

Well done Dani-boi, in scring a 50th GP victory..

Otherwise a fairly tippy-toe wet-but-drying processional race, with a few passes but apart from from V.R taaking 2nd from
a cautious George.. not much action.. M-M rode carefully to 4th.. on to Phillip Island then..

ChrisF1
ChrisF1

Every race comes around and I think "Lorenzo will take the win, Rossi will be 3rd, Lorenzo will close up and by Valencia he will either be level or ahead"

Every race finishes, and Rossi is still there or thereabouts! Knowing how poor Rossi is around Valencia it wouldn't surprise me to see him 4th behind the Spaniards and maybe even Dovi could demote him to 5th.

He'll want a decent lead before that final race...

turbof1

Well Rossi is still in the seat there. Sepang might just be another oppertunity to open the gap to Lorenzo if it rains, so Lorenzo must make Philip Island count.
#AeroFrodo

joseff

The wings on the Ducati and Lorenzo's Yamaha are said to reduce wheelies coming out of corners, so they can get on the gas earlier.

However, when they're leaning into a corner... wouldn't it be producing lift to the OUTSIDE of the turn? i.e. understeer generator?

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

we might think that as such DF has a neutral effect on cornering ......

assuming the DF component is in the plane of the motorcycle (ie there's no asymmetrical effect eg due to slip angles/AoA etc )
and that the rider leans to the same angle as the bike is leaned, and that angle is equivalent to maximum possible cornering .....
the component of DF normal to the road surface increases the contact load and so increases (potentially) total centripetal force
enough to compensate exactly for total centrifugal force being increased by the centrifugal component of the DF

but with the bike/wing lean angle being less than the combined bike/rider lean angle there is a cornering benefit .....

because then DF will then increase total centripetal cornering force more than it increases total centrifugal cornering force
(imagine if a very lightweight bike was upright and very heavy rider was leaning horizontally, the DF would be rather beneficial)

and even without DF the bike will at speed be front light due to the moment from the aero drag etc
so yes, the time is right for a bit of DF

btw - I have not seen on the TV values of lean angle data over 61deg
Last edited by Tommy Cookers on 12 Oct 2015, 20:38, edited 1 time in total.

ChrisF1
ChrisF1

Three races back we were all thinking Marquez would be getting between the Yamaha's, but in the last two races it's been Dani from nowhere.

It's great to see him back at the front end, but I wish he wasn't taking points away from Rossi :lol:

If I were to bet now it would be that the final race wins are shared between Jorge and Marquez.