WRC 2015 season

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
MadMatt

Re: WRC 2015 season

Yes I have, it is ok, I expected more live action, but at least you get all the possible coverage you can get, plus onboard from all stages with different drivers, come on 40euros is nothing for the whole season I don't regret it. They should pay me back some money for the advertisement I am doing :D

Scorpaguy

....MadMatt

Yes, money always wins, but the lack of split times and not having perfect damping/traction control would at least bother Seb2 a bit. Its very interesting to watch the cars in tight corners...Fords are sliding like Formula Drift cars, Hyundai a bit less yaw, and VW is on rails like an F1 car. Seb2 carves corners like a surgeon...Tanak uses a chainsaw.

It'd be great if Kimi had stayed and went to VW...he would have found a way to scrape some rear quarter panels off those things.

MadMatt

Yea, and when you know that you get the best traction when the wheels are all pointing in the same direction (and I don't mean because of a crash haha), you know why VW always try to get the wheels back on their original position as soon as possible in corner exit.

As predicted, Toyota will be back in WRC in 2017, that is great news, but it is a bit late. Anyway, good for the sport!

http://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/news/january- ... 2-12-.html

MadMatt

Just a cool picture of Monte:

Suspension control is everything in WRC!

MadMatt

We are back in Corsica for this year's Rally de France, that is fantastic news! :D

http://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/news/february ... 2-12-.html

Funny the picture WRC.com posted (above), as I was there at this exact spot when the picture was taken back in 2006, check out my shot:

I will definitely return there in October!

MadMatt

Sweden Rally this weekend, conditions are perfect for a real snow rally, unlike last year which was awful.

Kubica's gonna be very fast with his Pirelli tyres (they are stunning on snow but very weak) so let's see if he can keep the car on the road.

MadMatt

VW boys hit drama again as Latvala went off the road and lost all chances to win. Ogier had a small off as well, giving us an interesting leaderboard, with Mikkelsen leading, in front of Neuville and Ostberg.

MadMatt

That's what 300mm+ of suspension travel looks like :D

MadMatt

Just before the last day we have an awesome battle at the front (for once), between Neuville (1st), Mikkelsen (2nd), and Ogier (3rd), all in 10 seconds, after 2 and a half hours of driving! Let's see if Neuville can get his first win on snow for Hyundai, or Mikkelsen his first win ever in the WRC!

Few videos:

[youtube]http://youtu.be/A0yl-HB156Q[/youtube]

They are all pushing like mad men!

zonk

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QF7RvCjhD7s[/youtube]

Colins Crest..
1. T. Neuville, 44m
2. A. Mikkelsen, 41m
3. R. Kubica, 40m
4. Y. Protasov, 40m
5. K. Meeke, 39m

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1oTwGvjFzs[/youtube]

zonk

MadMatt

Shame for Robert. I will post more about boost pressure next week, but basically the turbo pressure has to be controlled at low rpm as you can easily go way more than 2.5bar absolute. At high rpm you are limited by the restrictor.

The FIA has got a control box with few sensors connected to it (fuel rail pressure, turbo boost), and there is someone that is dedicated to check all cars during the rally at few points to see if the car didn't trigger any alarm (over boosting for example), but they are generally cool with it as long as you fix the problem quickly. Seems like here this problem stayed for a long time for it hence the penalty.

But now the top 3 is within 5 seconds, it cannot get any closer with 1 stage to go, it is insane! Will Mikkelsen get his first victory? Will Neuville be the only 3rd non-Scandinavian ever to win this rally? Will Ogier win again? 1 hour to go and we'll have the answer! :D

zonk

Malcolm Wilson said that the driver was not able to feel that excess, because it was very small ( and on one special stage ) :
" That's right . It's not that we crossed the limit throughout stage , only in some places , by fractions of a second , it was a little too high. It is what it is. Nothing can be done with it .
Certainly, it was not done on purpose . "

MadMatt

So there we have it, Ogier won. Neuville was just short of speed (his 2014 car VS the 2015 Polo was no match anyway), but Mikkelsen did a mistake on the last stage, ending his rally in 3rd, but that was a great fight through the last stage!

Next rally Mexico!

TzeiTzei

Hmph, it's kind of depressing to see the same guy winning all the time. All credit to Ogier, he is a great driver but lack of competition makes it more difficult for me appreciate his achievements. As a finn it is painful for me to admit that Latvala just isnt good enough. And the rest just dont have the machinery to challenge the VWs. I remember how I hated watching Loeb march from one victory to another, but looking back at it atleast he was a likeable character. Cant say the same about Ogier.

It's nice to see Toyota make a comeback...but I just cant get very excited about a Yaris WRC. I wish it was the GT86 instead. Anyway, enough with the moaning.