World Endurance Championship 2015

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
MadMatt

Re: World Endurance Championship 2015

It looks like a bit like the imaginary cars in the video game series Ridge Racer (for those who know)! :D

matt21

Sebp

I'm getting a distinct batmobile vibe here.

No smartphone was involved in creating this message.

dmjunqueira

If google translate isn't cheating on me, AMUS said that Nissan LMP1 uses a Cosworth V6 turbo engine originally developed for F1...
http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/moto ... 64579.html

aleks_ader

As i read the rules, there are no ways to unlimitedt tank energy from ERSA-H into ERSA-K. That is beacuse the any MGU usage is limmited each MJ class accordigly. So porche decision to run "Heat" part of ERSA standalonne on wastegate makes sense.

Overall its the shame that the rules prevent some tricks as F1 does.

Anyway the Mullsannes rumor mill seem had quite right in some radical aspects about new Nissan Nismo contender.

So when i look pictures i could almost (90%) "comfirm":

-long design (F-ICE, drag compromise)
-huge front air intakes (front rads maybe)
-smaller rear tire (no need for bigger beacuse there are not the primary propeled axis, plus narower tires allow bigger difuzor -more clean downforce, lees drag)
-it seems they use no outwash flow at the moment (the guide vanes cold be errased or simply on that poor pics unwisible)
-driving position is pretty back (look the driver helmet), but the canopy is positioned pretty foward (rules about size and Aero coke bottle for difuzor demand comromise)

PU train rummors:
@ICE: v6 bi turbo (recycled F1 design)
@ERSA: reverse Toyota of 2 Mgu-K
@ES: Torotrak (buyed Williams licence) eletric flywheel
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

stefan_

A few more shots with the new Nissan

Source
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

dmjunqueira

A radically new approach...IMHO not very aesthetically pleasant...But I always cheer for this kind of innovation.

stefan_

Lotus team re-named ByKolles Racing

ByKOLLES Racing, the team formerly known as Lotus, has recently announced that it has submitted an entry for the 2015 World Endurance Championship in LMP1 with the newly developed 2015 CLM P1. The entries for the championship, plus its third round the 24 Hours of Le Mans, will be announced in Paris on Thursday, 5th February and live coverage of the press conference will be streamed on the WEC’s website.

With a new gear box, new front and rear suspension, aerodynamic modifications and performance upgrades throughout, including significant weight reductions, the team has made real progress on the CLM P1.

Commenting on the season ahead, ByKOLLES Director of Operations, Boris Bermes said: “We learnt a lot last year, we faced many challenges but we made very good progress against the odds however we were aware that significant improvements needed to be made for the 2015 season. The team has worked hard since the end of last season to produce what I believe to be a highly competitive car. As always, I’m cautiously optimistic about this year but let’s see what testing brings.”

From ByKOLLES Racing
Source
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Sombrero

Dive into the HYBRID

zonk

Stolen from mulsannescorner; no rear wing

wesley123

"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Pandamasque

Nissan-Cosworth 3.0L V6 Turbo petrol engine, front-mid longitudinal with exhaust exits in front of the windshied (backfire should look quite entertaining from the cockpit!)

The ICE drives the front wheels, electric motors (motor?) drive the rears powered by two flywheels (still a rumour)

2 massive tunnels from the "mouth" all the way to the exits above the rear diffuser, as Mike Fuller predicted, provide both the cooling and the front diffuser air extraction.

Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3rBtzrgIEg[/youtube]

djos

Wow, super impressive work by Nissan!
"In downforce we trust"