World Endurance Championship 2015

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
djos

Re: World Endurance Championship 2015

WilliamsF1 wrote:
markp wrote: Pirelli are doing what has been asked of them if they wete told to

I wouldn't jump off a cliff even if my contract asked me to
Agreed, their F1 tires don't seem to be much better than their gp2 ties.
"In downforce we trust"

Cuky

djos wrote:
WilliamsF1 wrote:
markp wrote: Pirelli are doing what has been asked of them if they wete told to

I wouldn't jump off a cliff even if my contract asked me to
I may be mistaken, but tires in GP2 and F1 are of same specification

FW17

Cuky wrote:
djos wrote:
I may be mistaken, but tires in GP2 and F1 are of same specification
No.

Pirelli supplies GP2 tyres to F1

djos

Jonnycraig wrote: At the risk of dumbing down too much for you, Pirelli came into the sport with a statute from the teams & FOM to provide tyres that fell apart like Canada 2010. The teams & FOM want tyres that provide an engineering challenge and produce unpredictability. Pirelli provided that.

Pirelli are only still the tyre manufacturer for F1 because they provide tyres that the teams & FOM want.

Pirelli can and would happily provide tyres that could be pushed flat out for an entire F1 distance without the need for any pitstops, but those who actually have a say in the matter dont want that.

On a sidenote, if Pirelli provided the tyres you requested that could be driven for a flat out 3 stopper, teams would still try and eke them out for a two stop race :wink:
Mate, I've been a huge F1 fan (and Le Mans) since I was 10 years old (started with the 1986 Adelaide GP - my old home town) and I've also been around this forum for about 6 years longer than you have so I know exactly how we got to where we are - FWIW it was the Canadian GP (2010 iirc) where conditions caused extremely high tire deg with the bridgestones and the tools in the FIA demanded that Pirelli produce short lived tires for all races when they won the F1 control tire contract.

I still think another OEM like Michelin could produce a tire that lasts for 1/3rd the race but could still be run flat-out on - heck the red side-wall tires (super-soft) FireStone (aka Bridgestone) make for the IndyCar series seem to have better racing characteristics, despite their short life-span, than the F1 Pirelli tires.
Last edited by djos on 06 May 2015, 08:30, edited 1 time in total.
"In downforce we trust"

djos

hollus wrote:You mean Melbourne 2015 was about 1.5 seconds per lap faster than Melbourne 2014?
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2014/03/16/2 ... test-laps/
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2015/03/15/c ... an-anyone/
Hmm, I must have got my wires crossed on that one. 8)
"In downforce we trust"

Artur Craft

djos, I think there was a race, this year, in which they were like a second slower per lap, if I'm not mistaken(sorry, I'm not following F1 anymore), so I guess you mistaken Melbourne's GP for that one(Sepang?)

On topic, Nissan have been testing with 2 cars in the past two days. Hope they perform decently at Le Mans

djos

Artur Craft wrote:djos, I think there was a race, this year, in which they were like a second slower per lap, if I'm not mistaken(sorry, I'm not following F1 anymore), so I guess you mistaken Melbourne's GP for that one(Sepang?)

On topic, Nissan have been testing with 2 cars in the past two days. Hope they perform decently at Le Mans
Cheers, doesnt look that much different tho:

2014:
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2014/03/30/2 ... test-laps/

2015:
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2015/03/29/m ... t-ferrari/

The Nissan LMP1 is going to be very interesting, although I have fairly low expectations of them for their 1st year back - hopefully they'll be fully competitive next year.
"In downforce we trust"

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

WilliamsF1 wrote:
But we knew that the drivers were on the limit so even though it was mind numbingly boring, it was spectacular.

DRS with refueling would have been good, but DRS with bad tyres are not so good. (I am always for refueling)
How can it be spectacular and mind numbingly boring? They were not on the limit during those days either (far less so than LMP1), your pace was dictated by the person in front because unless there was a significant difference in pace, overtaking was impossible. Instead we saw follow the leader races with people following 2 seconds behind everyone to preserve tyres. Remember the infamous Truli trains?

RicME85

djos wrote:
Artur Craft wrote:djos, I think there was a race, this year, in which they were like a second slower per lap, if I'm not mistaken(sorry, I'm not following F1 anymore), so I guess you mistaken Melbourne's GP for that one(Sepang?)
Cheers, doesnt look that much different tho:

2014:
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2014/03/30/2 ... test-laps/

2015:
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2015/03/29/m ... t-ferrari/
Look at the lap the time was set on, there is 10 laps between them so different strategies etc etc

Jonnycraig
Jonnycraig

djos wrote:I still think another OEM like Michelin could produce a tire that lasts for 1/3rd the race but could still be run flat-out on - heck the red side-wall tires (super-soft) FireStone (aka Bridgestone) make for the IndyCar series seem to have better racing characteristics, despite their short life-span, than the F1 Pirelli tires.
But you seem to be (deliberately?) missing the point that Pirelli can and would happily make that exact tyre. The teams and FOM don't want that though.

It doesn't matter if it's Pirelli, Michelin, Bridgestone, Kumho, or Ditchfinder, whoever supplies F1 at the current time will do so under the same mandate of unpredictable tyres. It's also worth pointing out that the current Pirellis can be run flat out on, they just don't last as long and teams unsurprisingly are always striving for as few pitstop said as possible.

djos

Jonnycraig wrote: But you seem to be (deliberately?) missing the point that Pirelli can and would happily make that exact tyre.
And what do you base this on?
Jonnycraig wrote:It doesn't matter if it's Pirelli, Michelin, Bridgestone, Kumho, or Ditchfinder, whoever supplies F1 at the current time will do so under the same mandate of unpredictable tyres. It's also worth pointing out that the current Pirellis can be run flat out on, they just don't last as long and teams unsurprisingly are always striving for as few pitstop said as possible.
Bridgestone (aka Firestone) make great short-life "red wall" tires for IndyCar, just shows that Pirelli arent trying hard enough!
"In downforce we trust"

mrluke
mrluke

The whole point is that new tyres are much quicker than old tyres, that creates a big enough lap time difference to lead to overtaking. If the tyres were bullet proof for 20 laps then died there would be no time differential and therefore no overtaking, it would all come down to pit stop strategy (again).

Jonnycraig
Jonnycraig

djos wrote:
Jonnycraig wrote: But you seem to be (deliberately?) missing the point that Pirelli can and would happily make that exact tyre.
And what do you base this on?
Paul Hembery has stated countless times that they are merely doing as they have been asked. They even replaced the Kevlar belts with Metal for 2013, at the request if FOM, to help a certain team that narrowly missed out on the WDC with tyre warmup, eventually leading to Silverstone that year.

Last year they were asked to provide rocks to go with the untried new engines and did exactly that.
djos wrote:
Jonnycraig wrote:It doesn't matter if it's Pirelli, Michelin, Bridgestone, Kumho, or Ditchfinder, whoever supplies F1 at the current time will do so under the same mandate of unpredictable tyres. It's also worth pointing out that the current Pirellis can be run flat out on, they just don't last as long and teams unsurprisingly are always striving for as few pitstop said as possible.
Bridgestone (aka Firestone) make great short-life "red wall" tires for IndyCar, just shows that Pirelli arent trying hard enough!
What any other tyre provider does in any other series is utterly irrelevant. If Bridgestone had stayed in F1 they would be producing the same tyres as Pirelli are now. Fans and drivers may want flat out 2 stop races, but then there is no strategy options for the teams and the 'show'.

FW17

Wonder why BYKOLLES, REBELLION or anyone other privateer did not try an F1 power unit in the LMP1 class

Budget the only constrain?

Biggest surprise was Nissan not using the Renault engine, I quiet dont understand this company and their marketing angles

wesley123
wesley123

definitely budget. There might be other disadvantages as well.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender