World Endurance Championship 2015

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
DaveW
DaveW

Re: World Endurance Championship 2015

Tim.Wright wrote:I don't think the driveshaft runs through the tunnel. It's rumoured to be either some sort of drop gear arrangement or the motor is embedded into the wall of the chassis.
Achieving an adequate rear installation stiffness looks a bit of a challenge...and the angle of the rear drive shaft seems a bit extreme.

acosmichippo
acosmichippo

this is insane:

Tim.Wright

DaveW wrote:
Tim.Wright wrote:I don't think the driveshaft runs through the tunnel. It's rumoured to be either some sort of drop gear arrangement or the motor is embedded into the wall of the chassis.
Achieving an adequate rear installation stiffness looks a bit of a challenge...and the angle of the rear drive shaft seems a bit extreme.
Where do you see the issue? The spindly rocker arm?
Not the engineer at Force India

DaveW
DaveW

Tim.Wright wrote:Where do you see the issue? The spindly rocker arm?
Not really. I am a little surprised by what appears to be large unbraced rectangular sections carrying the suspension loads across the tunnels. Strong it may be, but stiff? Probably not.

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

DaveW wrote:
Tim.Wright wrote:Where do you see the issue? The spindly rocker arm?
Not really. I am a little surprised by what appears to be large unbraced rectangular sections carrying the suspension loads across the tunnels. Strong it may be, but stiff? Probably not.

Thats why I'm wondering it that ends up being actually a part of the tub....Although at the same token here the rear load might be quite a lot less, with not much weight, not much drive torque, not much brake force, not much downforce transmitted by less tire grip...

DaveW
DaveW

RacingManiac wrote:Thats why I'm wondering it that ends up being actually a part of the tub....
You are probably right.

However, my first thought was that it looked very like an F1 vehicle traveling backwards - apart from steering. If the analogy holds (& it doesn't quite), then the roll moment of this vehicle would be carried mainly by the rear axle.....

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

That is probably true actually, and since I think that is how most FWD car are setup. But I think the difference being that in F1 the front also will be carrying a lot of the load under braking, which would probably be your primary design load input in terms of max force, and combine that with cornering that'll be significant. But with W/D being so far forward and the rear end not contributing to much of the braking and such I feel like the load going through there will be more limited. It might be just designed to be "stiff enough".

I am still curious though if that gets damaged if they can replace it or that is just a write off chassis....

Belatti
Belatti

DaveW wrote:Not really. I am a little surprised by what appears to be large unbraced rectangular sections carrying the suspension loads across the tunnels. Strong it may be, but stiff? Probably not.
Me too, and anything that may add stiffness like "triangulating" the rectangle would spoil the tunnel... or maybe crossing it with a wing profile? No, then they would have a wing profile fairing the drivesaft...
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/the-nissa ... 1683946630

The pic there made it look like there might be a bit more complex curve on the box to maybe add a bit more stiffness to the flat pancake shape of that box area.

dmjunqueira

RacingManiac wrote:http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/the-nissa ... 1683946630

The pic there made it look like there might be a bit more complex curve on the box to maybe add a bit more stiffness to the flat pancake shape of that box area.
Fantastic picture!
It seems that the shafts that power the rear wheels are running inside the bottom horizontal structures that support the rear suspension (because they are thicker than the top ones...)

Edit: It's my new desktop wallpaper. 8) =D>

acosmichippo
acosmichippo

I love how open they are about this now. Imagine how much more fun F1 would be if we could see inside every car like that.

aleks_ader

acosmichippo wrote:I love how open they are about this now. Imagine how much more fun F1 would be if we could see inside every car like that.
Please not! I'm going to get heart attack. =D>
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

langwadt
langwadt

acosmichippo wrote:I love how open they are about this now. Imagine how much more fun F1 would be if we could see inside every car like that.
If the can require drivers to show up for certain interviews etc. before and after the race as part of the deals with the media, they could easily require that the teams show of their hardware, they already have rules that they are not allowed to cover parts of the car or spare wings etc.

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

F1 also stopped teams from putting those walls in front of garages. But still, a lot of details are "spyed" in F1, not given. Though I think Nissan has less to lose just because they are so different from anyone else...

langwadt
langwadt

RacingManiac wrote:F1 also stopped teams from putting those walls in front of garages. But still, a lot of details are "spyed" in F1, not given. Though I think Nissan has less to lose just because they are so different from anyone else...
and it gives them lots of media attention, they love to have something real to show and write about instead of having to come up with speculation and or just repeat press releases