[WEC 2015]Nissan GT-R LM NISMO

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Cold Fussion

Re: [WEC 2015]Nissan GT-R LM NISMO

If you're inside the minimum weight limit then it doesn't matter. I very much doubt additional ballast would ever give a bigger performance benefit than an extra 746 kW.

FW17

:(
Wonder why they would leave the car outside, slap on the face to those who worked on it.

Facts Only

FW17 wrote:http://i.imgur.com/1N9BhX8.png
Wonder why they would leave the car outside, slap on the face to those who worked on it.

Where's that picture from?
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

FW17

Facts Only wrote:
FW17 wrote:http://i.imgur.com/1N9BhX8.png

Where's that picture from?

I think it is a pic from the Le Mans race

Facts Only

Oh, I thought it was now, likely that they have just been shoved somewhere knowing how old unsuccesful race cars are generally treated by teams.
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

noname

FW17 wrote:Wonder why they would leave the car outside, slap on the face to those who worked on it.
That's where the cars broken/crashed/damaged during the race are kept. They are being released to the teams once the race is over.
You can put it back into the garage only through the pit lane, not an option when the race is on.

However, not the best neighbourhood for this one, indeed.

dmjunqueira

Very good read about the Nissan GT-R LM Nismo "history", with information from a former designer from the team.
It's in portuguese...So you can give a try on google translate:
https://translate.google.com/translate? ... t=&act=url

Main points I get from it:
- The designer said they didn't had the necessary time to test the car. The team leadership underestimated the necessary time/resources.
- The flywheel KERS and ABS system never worked properly, and consequently the brakes were overloaded.
- The Michelin tires they used (or tested) were not perfect for the car.
- The team knew the car wasn't ready to Le Mans, but they were obligated to race. So the fiasco was no surprise.
- Nevertheless, Nissan is satisfied with the media return they have had in 2015.
- They tried to change supplier of this problematic system for the 2016 car (to an undisclosed F1 team). But this new supplier delayed the project and therefore they would miss the start of 2016 season anyway.
- Since there will be a regulation change in 2018, they canceled the project for 2016 and 2017 seasons, because the chassi would have a short life span.
- Apparently, there is hope that they will return in 2018 with a new car.

TzeiTzei

dmjunqueira wrote: Main points I get from it:
- The designer said they didn't had the necessary time to test the car. The team leadership underestimated the necessary time/resources.
- The flywheel KERS and ABS system never worked properly, and consequently the brakes were overloaded.
- The Michelin tires they used (or tested) were not perfect for the car.
- The team knew the car wasn't ready to Le Mans, but they were obligated to race. So the fiasco was no surprise.
- Nevertheless, Nissan is satisfied with the media return they have had in 2015.
- They tried to change supplier of this problematic system for the 2016 car (to an undisclosed F1 team). But this new supplier delayed the project and therefore they would miss the start of 2016 season anyway.
- Since there will be a regulation change in 2018, they canceled the project for 2016 and 2017 seasons, because the chassi would have a short life span.
- Apparently, there is hope that they will return in 2018 with a new car.
Thanks for the translation. At Le Mans the handling looked absolutely horrible, and I think it was the slowest car in the corners.

Looking back at this project, it was nothing but PR. They made a lot of noise and got a lot of attention before the car ever hit the track. And after Le Mans we never really heard of them anymore. I suppose it was sold to Nissan Japan as a new revolutionary design that will allow them to be successful and different and cheap. And as that didn't happen, they really just didn't want to start spending some real money to build a proper race car. But it's no wonder that they are happy the media return. They got probably more attention than any other manufacturer, and all that without doing any racing.

There was talk of Nissan getting a hybrid system from Renault. The delayed project and what happened at Enstone would suggest that it might be true. I think the new regulations are about changing driver's seating position and raising the hybrid energy class. Shouldn't be a problem for a manufacturer team, but I don't think they're interested. It's just a convenient excuse. I think if we're going to see a Nissan prototype in the near future, it will be at IMSA where everything is BoPed and therefore it's cheap.

machin

Every time someone makes a "revolutionary" car that doesn't work they always blame the tyres =D> :lol:
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

Sevach

The complaint about tires is simple, they were using the rear tires from the other teams as their front tires, they wanted a stiffer structure for their 70% front weight distribution. Lateral, vertical and carcass.

Besides that waaaaay to many complaints about suppliers, everything that went wrong... suppliers.