IndyCar 2015

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
J.A.W.

Re: IndyCar 2015

Looking a bit "Golden Arrow" LSR-like - to me..
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

wesley123

And the real thing;

"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

fawe4

Completely different philosophy. Regular endplates on FW and a wings overload elsewhere.

It'll be interesting to see what works better. But, as I understand it, these are only high downforce configurations. Street courses and slower ovals. I'm not sure how their rules work, are they allowed completely different designs for high speed courses, or can they only strip down what they already have?

dren

The front wing looks a lot more F1 than the Chevy. The Chevy looks years behind in wing development when compared with the direction F1 went from 2009 to 2013.

The Honda sidepod intakes are so tiny. I am guessing the lower duct is for the brakes. Honda is diverting all rear flow around the rear tires. The Chevy looks to take some of that flow inward. That's an odd direction given the shape of the sidepods they are working with.

Does the actual Honda have slots in the rear wing endplates?
Honda!

RicME85

Difference between the Chevy and Honda is staggering.
You can tell the influence Wirth Research has had on the Honda (along with Honda's F1 experience)

turbof1

I figure the endplates are more to support those gigantic cascades then anything else.
#AeroFrodo

scuderiafan

We know the Dallara chassis has a rearward weight bias, which shows up on Honda's model with their insane front wing. The rest of Honda's car from the sidepod back looks relatively conventional to me. It doesn't have as many downforce-producing elements as the Chevrolet model which I noticed has a small channel to feed air towards the rear/diffuser area.

Honda looks F1
Chevrolet looks CART
"You're so angry that you throw your gloves down, and the worst part is; you have to pick them up again." - Steve Matchett

Patiently waiting...

cossie

Lego's anyone. Fugly

dren

scuderiafan wrote:We know the Dallara chassis has a rearward weight bias, which shows up on Honda's model with their insane front wing. The rest of Honda's car from the sidepod back looks relatively conventional to me. It doesn't have as many downforce-producing elements as the Chevrolet model which I noticed has a small channel to feed air towards the rear/diffuser area.

Honda looks F1
Chevrolet looks CART
Yeah, the Chevy has some airflow around the pods at the rear. The Honda looks to get its flow from over the top of the pods and down between the cockpit and rear tire.

The Honda has dual plane elements before and aft of the rear tires. The Chevy are just single elements. No slots in the Honda rear wing endplate.
Honda!

lizardfolk

fawe4

That Chevrolet is missing those winglets on top of the sidepods.

dren

I like the looks of the Chevy better, but the Honda looks to have a better design.
Honda!

countersteer

Simona De Silvestro joins Andretti Autosport

And, in the best Indy news of the season, Simona is back behind the wheel for Andretti Autosport! Yay !!! =D> =D> =D>

IndyCar: Andretti confirms de Silvestro for St. Petersburg Opener

As RACER revealed in February, Simona de Silvestro will make her return to the Verizon IndyCar Series with Andretti Autosport in the team's fourth Honda-powered entry.
The Thun, Switzerland native is currently confirmed for the season opener with the four-time IndyCar Championship winning team later this month.
"I am very excited to be joining Andretti Autosport and to become part of a team with such a successful history," de Silvestro said. "It feels really special to have been given this opportunity to drive for them. I also want to thank Michael for believing in me and I can't wait to start working with the team. Also, I am looking forward to get back behind the wheel of an Indy car."
The 26-year-old competed in Formula Renault 2.0 Italia, Formula BMW USA and the Atlantic Championship prior to moving to IndyCar full time in 2010. de Silvestro has 65 IndyCar starts under her belt that include one podium finish (Houston: Race One, 2013), five laps led and 14 top-10 finishes along with being named the 2010 Indianapolis 500 Rookie of the Year and Tony Renna Rising Star award recipient. The Swiss racer is one of only three women who have recorded a podium finish in IndyCar competition (Sarah Fisher, Danica Patrick).
"We are really excited to have Simona come on board with the team for St. Pete," added team owner Michael Andretti. "She will be a great fit for the team, and hopefully we'll be able to build on the program, eventually taking it from this race to future events and maybe even a full-season relationship. Fans should stay connected with the team to hear more about our potential future with Simona."

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/11427 ... urg-opener

lizardfolk