IndyCar 2015

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Scorpaguy

Re: IndyCar 2015

2015 engines....not sure about the Honda...but the "chevy" units are built by Ilmor...they have a long and storied history at the brickyard. As for the Honda units...I seem to remember reading an article about them that traced their DNA to a department within their R@D that was different than the "norm" (but I cant find it now).

Sombrero
Sombrero

http://www.enginelabs.com/engine-tech/e ... ine-crown/

Some "less formal" news item about IndyCar engine (2014).

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

Scorpaguy wrote:2015 engines....not sure about the Honda...but the "chevy" units are built by Ilmor...they have a long and storied history at the brickyard. As for the Honda units...I seem to remember reading an article about them that traced their DNA to a department within their R@D that was different than the "norm" (but I cant find it now).
Sombrero wrote:http://www.enginelabs.com/engine-tech/e ... ine-crown/

Really intrusting things, but why one of the biggest automotive firm in USA supply his V6 with Illmor, they were scary by HPD ?

Pierce89

Scorpaguy wrote:2015 engines....not sure about the Honda...but the "chevy" units are built by Ilmor...they have a long and storied history at the brickyard. As for the Honda units...I seem to remember reading an article about them that traced their DNA to a department within their R@D that was different than the "norm" (but I cant find it now).
The Honda is built by Honda Performance Development. Its a small racing focused engineering and r&d company owned by Honda America.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Pierce89

Spoutnik wrote:

Really intrusting things, but why one of the biggest automotive firm in USA supply his V6 with Illmor, they were scary by HPD ?
Are you serious? There's no company in the world that uses their standard road car people to build top level race motors. Hell ,MBHPD is just the old Ilmor. HPD is only "Honda" because that's who owns them.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

Pierce89 wrote:
Spoutnik wrote:

Are you serious? There's no company in the world that uses their standard road car people to build top level race motors. Hell ,MBHPD is just the old Ilmor. HPD is only "Honda" because that's who owns them.
I know, but there is some difference between the Honda case and the Chevrolet case

Scorpaguy

This weekend was the dual "duel in Detroit" races. Maybe not the pinnacle of open wheel motorsport... but they did put on two entertaining races (although it did seem a bit "sissy" to shorten a race on account of a bit of thunder/lightning). Indy Car seems to have a package that allows for the drivers, cars, and strategists to determine the outcome of a race... and it seems the Honda engines are closer on road courses. Not as fast as F1...but quite enjoyable to watch.

TzeiTzei
TzeiTzei

Enjoyable to watch... when they are actually racing. But when they use FCYs for every single hot dog paper on the track, I usually stop watching.

hpras
hpras

Scorpaguy wrote:(although it did seem a bit "sissy" to shorten a race on account of a bit of thunder/lightning).
I, for one, would be rather adverse to be sitting in the metal temporary stands during active lightning. Or on the pitwall, or near the fuel rig, or as a marshall holding onto a flag. Just plain safety. That said, entertaining races.

hpras
hpras

Spoutnik wrote:
I know, but there is some difference between the Honda case and the Chevrolet case
Badge Engineering has always gone on. It's interesting to see who has built engines for who. In Indycar (and CART) Chevy's favourite dance partner has been Ilmor. When Chevy pulled out of CART, the engines were rebranded as Ilmor until the deal with Mercedes was done. When IndyCar (IRL) started having lease engines again, Chevy went in-house but quickly became uncompetitive. For a season, they then switched to a Cosworth developed engine before pulling out again until 2012. The previous spec Honda engine used from 2003 to 2011 was mostly developed by Ilmor, then was taken in-house by HPD in 2006. The ill-fated "Lotus" engine came out of John Judd's shop. I still wonder if he ever got paid for them.

Edit - mistake on timeline. Chevy was in-house before it joined with Cosworth until 2005.

djos

It's also worth noting that Roger Penske still owns a big stake in ilmor USA.
"In downforce we trust"

sgth0mas
sgth0mas

In motor racing, winning should always come first. And chevys specialty is road cars for mass production. They did the right thing by contracting experts for a design that requires such expertise. Im not sure what the exact engine is on the corvette WEC cars (lt/ls series or other), but thats an example of a situation where it makes sense for the car to use more actual chevy road car parts or at least similar to unlike indy.

And judging by chevys results in IRL, they made the right call on engine and aero.

This goes on in all walks of engineering especially on the edge of performance. Consultants and specialized shops carry out their respective element of work while the contracting company acts as the system integrator.

djos

sgth0mas wrote:In motor racing, winning should always come first. And chevys specialty is road cars for mass production. They did the right thing by contracting experts for a design that requires such expertise. Im not sure what the exact engine is on the corvette WEC cars (lt/ls series or other), but thats an example of a situation where it makes sense for the car to use more actual chevy road car parts or at least similar to unlike indy.

And judging by chevys results in IRL, they made the right call on engine and aero.

This goes on in all walks of engineering especially on the edge of performance. Consultants and specialized shops carry out their respective element of work while the contracting company acts as the system integrator.
It hasn't stopped Ford kicking But with their production based EcoBoost V6 in various racing series.....

http://news.boldride.com/2015/02/ford-g ... -v6/71003/
"In downforce we trust"

sgth0mas
sgth0mas

djos wrote:
sgth0mas wrote:In motor racing, winning should always come first. And chevys specialty is road cars for mass production. They did the right thing by contracting experts for a design that requires such expertise. Im not sure what the exact engine is on the corvette WEC cars (lt/ls series or other), but thats an example of a situation where it makes sense for the car to use more actual chevy road car parts or at least similar to unlike indy.

It hasn't stopped Ford kicking But with their production based EcoBoost V6 in various racing series.....

http://news.boldride.com/2015/02/ford-g ... -v6/71003/

I am a ford guy...and ill have to admit that ive been dreaming of ford entering f1 or indy. But i cant see that happening.

It does appear they may try the WEC with the new GT.

But a ford ecoboost indycar would just fit so well.

djos

IndyCar 2015

I'd be great to see them back in IndyCar but it'd prolly have to be a bespoke v6 as it's currently a 3.5 litre mill vs the IndyCar limit of 2.2 litres.
"In downforce we trust"