IndyCar 2015

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
lizardfolk

Re: IndyCar 2015

IndyCar Testing Shots:

scuderiafan

None of the teams are running that mid-sidepod winglet. I wonder if it's a street course-only item.
"You're so angry that you throw your gloves down, and the worst part is; you have to pick them up again." - Steve Matchett

Patiently waiting...

lizardfolk

scuderiafan wrote:None of the teams are running that mid-sidepod winglet. I wonder if it's a street course-only item.
Teams are actually allowed to decide what to run and exactly how. We're already seeing different aero in the same team with the same kit.

Andretti with Honda Kit

lizardfolk

Munoz's front wing is different than the other Hondas right now. Seems that the IndyCar aerokits are pretty open and teams can tweak them however they want.

dren

Well so far in testing the Chevy is kicking the sh!t out of the Honda kit. Supposedly the Honda kit took the existing aero in a different direction, so set-up is different. The Chevy kit is similar to the old kit. The Chevy teams are better teams, too. Hopefully the Honda teams figure it out.

Munoz's wing is pretty ugly looking.
Honda!

Facts Only

Honda are not having a good week by the looks of it. I bet they wish a meteorite would hit Brixworth, England, it would wipe out Mercedes HPP who are caning them in F1 and Ilmor Engineering across the road who are doing the same in Indycar.

Yes I know not necessarily true but its funny how a tiny area around a village roundabout is causing them so much pain.

Anyway I'm looking forward to getting back into some Indycar viewing this year. Are there anymore manufacturers (of engines or aero kits) on the horizon?
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

dren

I haven't heard of anyone interested on the engine side. I wish there was more competition. I don't see any aero kit providers, either, since it requires a large investment.

The racing last year wasn't bad at all.
Honda!

countersteer

I attended the test at Barber yesterday and had the chance to take a long look at the suspension design on the Dallara DW12. It appears to be identical front to rear. The question I have is...How do they adjust the roll stiffness? I don't see any adjustment built into the system. I recognize the torsion roll bar can be swapped but I didn't see any incremental adjustment. Second question... Is the "heave spring" nothing but a rubber bump stop on these cars?
Thanks...

Sombrero

The racing is very strong since several seasons now. I really enjoy IndyCar racing again.

RicME85

That front wing looks a bit overkill!
There's a lot of space in front of the main flaps taken up by the cascades, wouldn't it of been better to tune the elements rather than throwing more and more cascades at it?

It's like a kids take on aero when building a racing car out of Lego, "just add more wings" :D

Jersey Tom

countersteer wrote:How do they adjust the roll stiffness? I don't see any adjustment built into the system. I recognize the torsion roll bar can be swapped but I didn't see any incremental adjustment.
I can't confirm whether or not this is the case for this particular chassis and manufacturer, but it's not uncommon on that type of ARB setup to have the adjustment built into the lower, pivoting mount. Instead of making it rigid on a tube shape, it can be mounted on a blade which the driver can adjust from stiff to soft as the bar rotates. I don't have a diagram, but you may be able to find something Googling "blade adjustable anti roll" or something similar.

Also, where those links attach to the "T" section at the top there might be several mount spots available from outboard to inboard. That would change the overall motion ratio and roll stiffness as a result.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

wesley123

RicME85 wrote:That front wing looks a bit overkill!
There's a lot of space in front of the main flaps taken up by the cascades, wouldn't it of been better to tune the elements rather than throwing more and more cascades at it?

It's like a kids take on aero when building a racing car out of Lego, "just add more wings" :D
These kits have to be sold at affordable prices, thus, you can't spend millions fine-tuning a design.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Scorpaguy

Overkill?

Maybe...but I bet they will have more than 16 cars on the grid :lol:

lizardfolk

Good on track comparison between the old kit and the new Honda kit

turbof1

Indy car organisation is raising team revenue with 25% this year. None of the short term madness in that sport!
#AeroFrodo