IndyCar 2015

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
cossie

Re: IndyCar 2015

And that's a joke. This $$ is their so called leaders program.however IMS contols who gets it the money get has nothing todo with any of the teams so performance the prior year. Penskie,ganassi and andretti get 1.5 mil for each car, now ims cannot tell any of those teams they are only going to get only overall 1.5 mil. So you have 3 teams controling the series. they combine to make up 12 out of 22 cars. Now IMS says the are going to take on Bernie and f1 overseas in Europe and south america. The cars are still unsafe and was not even close the fia standards because Indy car wanted a cheap chassis. Now Bernie is sending f1 on the same track. This is a car that has 50:lbs.in the nose of the cars because of the weight distribution.

lizardfolk

The start of the season yesterday

strad

This had to some kind of record for the most wings and winglets torn off in one race.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Huntresa

strad wrote:
This had to some kind of record for the most wings and winglets torn off in one race.
Its not the wings faults tho, i mean its pretty lame having circuits like St Peterburgs and using these cars on it. Its to tight and slow and tbh boring. America should build more "normal" tracks and stop using these kinds of tracks.

bdr529

They really don't need to build anymore tracks, they already have road courses they don't use in Indycar,
Tracks like Watkins Glen, Road America, Laguna Seca, Portland Int.Raceway, I'd even add Cleveland Lakefront Airport to that list wide open you could see everything from every were

Moxie

This years Indy 500 ratings might be a bit low.

http://memedad.com/memes/551072.jpg

cossie

Spectator was seriously injured at St.Pete. A end plate flew off a car Over the grand stand 100 yards over the stands near the concession area and a woman recieved a skull fracture and large gash in her head still in hospital recovering alright. They had 13 wing failures the entire race starting lap1. Took 4 caution laps just to clear that incident. wings breaking even without contact. Almost 1/2 of the field had broken body work. No crash testing of the areo kits were ever done. Not even the front wing or new nose. What a joke.
BTW they claimed this piece of crap car set a new track record by bettering Seabass record in 2003 in the old Lola's and also failed to mention that the current configuration is shorter by up to 1/2 sec. yet it took 12 years to better that mark. AOW is officially DOA.

Scorpaguy

AOW officially DOA???

...we are certainly not in the good ole CART days. However, there was a crowded field, competitive racing, and entertaining (yes...a bit sophomoric) tech. I enjoyed the race.

True, the Prancing Horse brought a bit of spice back to F1 of late. However, it was still just a few competitive cars, sounding like lawnmowers, circumventing a track sans any real racing. I'd say F1 is far sicker than AOWR.

My 2 cents.

lizardfolk

cossie wrote:Spectator was seriously injured at St.Pete. A end plate flew off a car Over the grand stand 100 yards over the stands near the concession area and a woman recieved a skull fracture and large gash in her head still in hospital recovering alright.
Yes sometimes spectators get hit with debris. Happens in tight circuits where people are very close to the track.
cossie wrote: They had 13 wing failures the entire race starting lap1. Took 4 caution laps just to clear that incident. wings breaking even without contact. Almost 1/2 of the field had broken body work. No crash testing of the areo kits were ever done. Not even the front wing or new nose. What a joke.
There's no new nose for the cars. The only thing that's different from this aerokit to the old car is that the aero bodywork is completely reworked. The Dallara cell is still the same and they crashtested the cell. Do they crashtest a new wing that's put on the same chassis in F1?

As for the wing failures, all of the "failures" were due to contact. Exactly who had a wing failure that didn't result from contact?

cossie wrote: BTW they claimed this piece of crap car set a new track record by bettering Seabass record in 2003 in the old Lola's and also failed to mention that the current configuration is shorter by up to 1/2 sec.

It looks like the same track to me with the same number of turns. How is this track "half a second" longer than the current one they use?
cossie wrote:yet it took 12 years to better that mark. AOW is officially DOA.
Yes the IR03-07 that the IRL used were absolutely crap, especially on road courses. The DW12 had less downforce than Super Formula and only had 650hp when it first debut in 2012. A lot of that is changed now. Stefano Coletti said the current IndyCar has more power than GP2, but slightly less downforce. Which is a big improvement in downforce than the default DW12 body
Huntresa wrote:
strad wrote:
Its not the wings faults tho, i mean its pretty lame having circuits like St Peterburgs and using these cars on it. Its to tight and slow and tbh boring. America should build more "normal" tracks and stop using these kinds of tracks.
It's not really anymore tight than Monaco. Although I think St. Pete is a pretty bad track to open at. It's not the best track to showcase racing. Traditionally racing on St. Pete isn't that great and was an absolute bore in the IRL days with passing only happening during pitsops.

I will fully admit that IndyCar drivers need to drive far careful, they are a little spoiled by the simple DW12 where there's not a ton of aero at stake when they make contact. A bit like how DTM races.

cossie

That end plate flew OVER THE GRAND stand and 100 yards further the hit the spectator. The carbon fiber was breaking off without contact. The Dallarra DW12 would fail a FIA crash test. They increased down force 25 percent with only 650,bhp. The Price of the areo kits was capped at 75 grand per kit looks like spare parts are going to bust budgets. Indy car now is a joke. 3 teams field over 1/2 the cars. It's really sad

lizardfolk

cossie wrote:That end plate flew OVER THE GRAND stand and 100 yards further the hit the spectator.
Yes, it flew over the grand stand. Why can't that happen from contact? The area that the spectator was hit had a lot of people hitting each other in. The Munoz and de Silvestro incident comes to mind.
cossie wrote: The carbon fiber was breaking off without contact.
I didn't see any carbon fiber breaking off without contact. Which car did that happen to? Because we would have seen that in the broadcast on the account of the cars needing to pit when they lose their wings. So who needed to pit who didn't hit someone?
cossie wrote: The Dallarra DW12 would fail a FIA crash test.
This is based on what?

cossie wrote: They increased down force 25 percent with only 650,bhp.
And? IndyCar has more horsepower than GP2 and GP2 still has more downforce than IndyCar
cossie wrote: The Price of the areo kits was capped at 75 grand per kit looks like spare parts are going to bust budgets.
Sure, that might happen. But development busting budgets is nothing new. Look at F1.
cossie wrote: Indy car now is a joke. 3 teams field over 1/2 the cars. It's really sad
3 teams fill 12 cars, the field is 24 cars.

In DTM 2014 there were a 5 car team (HWA team for Mercedes) and a 4 car team (Abt Sportline for Audi) in a 23 car grid.

Not exactly far off from current IndyCar.

cossie

cossie

lizardfolk

None of that supports what you stated in your posts.

It's also ironic that the blogger points to MotoGP as a shining light of racing when not a lot of people watch MotoGP either and MotoGP has declining ratings overall. MotoGP in 2014 has been dominated by Marc Marques with 13 wins throughout the season. Honestly, I found the 2014 IndyCar season to be better and far closer than MotoGP even if "3 teams field half the grid". Atleast the grid is close.

I see issues with IndyCar. But I don't see IndyCar as the bottom of the barrel like the IRL. Whether the new aerokits look ugly or not is kinda beyond the point. They made the cars faster and you can still see Will Power countersteering and fighting the car in his world record lap. That's really all I could ask. As far as ugly race cars go history has had far worse examples and racing has survived (and thrived in some examples) and now those ugly cars are seen as "beautiful" just because they are old for nostalgia's sake.

Looks familiar? How about this?

Most of what's in that post is opinion (and not very well supported ones at that. Quote: "It was like that back in the "old" USAC days and it still is today. It's not an easy pill to swallow for people who are immersed in the sport of Indy-style racing, but it's the High-Octane Truth." Ok wise guy, what's your solution to changing that? Because Miles is atleast trying something different where as the IRL was content with grinding gears until it fell). What I see in that post is a lot of complaining about how IndyCar is not like the old days and that's why it's failing and if it got back to it's old days it won't. Except even if you literally bring back your favorite era of IndyCar racing verbatim right now, it'll be in about as bad of a shape as it is now. Copying what worked before is not going to work now. Atleast the cars aren't spec anymore.

It's funny how the "old timers" complain left and right about the problems of current racing when they themselves don't seem to remember the issues of those old days. This is not the first time IndyCar has had fenders. This is also not the first time IndyCar has had problems. But atleast it's far better than the 2000s IRL era. Being better than that is a step in the right direction and IndyCar now is more CART-like than either IRL or ChampCar since ChampCar essentially became just an American GP2 in its final years.
Last edited by lizardfolk on 02 Apr 2015, 01:03, edited 5 times in total.

Cuky

cossie wrote:The Dallarra DW12 would fail a FIA crash test
Even if that is true, so what? Indy Car is not racing to the F1 safety rules, they have their own rules which car has passed