IndyCar 2015

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
cossie

Re: IndyCar 2015

http://www.autoextremist.com/fumes1/201 ... nable.html

Read this this then, their own saftey rules have't worked for 20 years remember Vegas. At least the Dp01 did pass FIA crash tests.
Last edited by cossie on 02 Apr 2015, 01:18, edited 1 time in total.

wesley123

Not sure what the problem is with 2 teams fielding a lot of cars. In the US the drivers mostly(with a few exceptions) pay for their seat and bring their own sponsors on the car. They pretty much race for their own chances anyways so what does it matter where their car comes from? It's a Dallara DW12 either way.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

cossie

http://www.autoextremist.com/fumes1/201 ... nable.html

Linky works now when chip says it's one big FUBAR and Miles is a idiot it's pretty much a cluster F###

lizardfolk

cossie wrote:http://www.autoextremist.com/fumes1/201 ... nable.html

Linky works now when chip says it's one big FUBAR and Miles is a idiot it's pretty much a cluster F###
Are you worried that people will like IndyCar? You (and the blogger incidentally enough) seem to be bending over backwards to get people to agree with your negative sentiment. If you spend so much energy trying to convince people that IndyCar is doomed (when crapwagon has been doing that for the past 10 years) maybe you should stop paying attention to IndyCar and what people who watch it considers it.'

I'd also like to point out that repeating yourself doesnt make you more convincing it just makes you see desperate for others to agree with your opinion

lizardfolk

cossie wrote:I really don't care if you agree or not, however when people say this is a series that is better than it ever was are deluded. We had something that was great racing, great series and that was flushed down the drain. For any saying that IMS and the Human family have been responsible stewards and are the answer are deluded. For this series to grow IMS needs the 500 as a stand alone race. Find someone else to run the series at the other venues. BTW crap wagon site blows
So the series now isn't better than 2000 IRL? It's not better than 90s CART when Mansell went over but it's a lot better than 2000 IRL. Whether it's better than ChampCar is debatable because there were no ovals in most of ChampCar, the ChampCar grid was of questionable quality with the exception of Bourdais, Power, Wilson, Tracy, Carpentier, Glock, and maybe Jani and Monteiro. The field wasn't close at all and if you weren't in a top team you mostly just toot around 2 seconds off pace. And the cars still had stick shifters and were gradually becoming dinosaurs (even if they looked good for their time and were much better and faster than IR03 cars. IR03 cars suck, period). Honestly, if you were to watch the old ChampCar races versus the race now I'd rather watch the racing now.

I don't see anyone here saying that IndyCar was better than it ever was. I don't see anyone here really defending Tony George and the Hulman family. I just see people watching the current IndyCar because the racing is closer than it has ever been since CART and the cars are finally not 8 seconds off Super Formula. You're bringing up a lot of muck from the split era that's not really that relevant to most of this discussion and just ranting. We get it. CART was destroyed by Tony George and AOW hasn't recovered since. Ok. But right now, I kinda like the selection of tracks (cause I like street circuits), it's FINALLY not a completely spec series anymore, we're done with both the IR03 and the ill-handling DW12 and the grid is pretty close. I'm just going to enjoy that in of itself and ignore the politics. It's been two decades since the split and IndyCar now is looking far more like CART than IRL.

As a former ChampCar fan, current ICS is nowhere near perfect. But neither was ChampCar, and I've seen enough IRL evolved out of the current IndyCar's DNA to move on.

turbof1

Please try to stay objective. Are we really burning the series down after just one race, which was not that bad at all? Atleast give it a few races, including ones on small and big ovals, to objectively judge the new platform.
#AeroFrodo

Jonnycraig

turbof1 wrote:Please try to stay objective. Are we really burning the series down after just one race, which was not that bad at all? Atleast give it a few races, including ones on small and big ovals, to objectively judge the new platform.
Quite. Ironically, St Pete is usually a crap race every year, and the same moaning is had every 12 months before the rest of the season throws up the wacky races that we love and adore.

TommyWTF1

St. Pete wasn't the great race but it's never been a classic. Bring in the 500 :D

lizardfolk

Jonnycraig wrote:
turbof1 wrote:Please try to stay objective. Are we really burning the series down after just one race, which was not that bad at all? Atleast give it a few races, including ones on small and big ovals, to objectively judge the new platform.
Quite. Ironically, St Pete is usually a crap race every year, and the same moaning is had every 12 months before the rest of the season throws up the wacky races that we love and adore.
Hopefully this coming year there will be some good international tracks that Miles can find for IndyCar to make the opener a little more positive.

Can't wait until NOLA in two weeks however. Never seen that track before. Fingers crossed it'll be good.

djos

I haven't seen much "IndyCar" racing since CART imploded (Hope you rot in hell Tony George!), is there much decent road course racing or is it boring still like NASCAR with 2 token road course races per season?
"In downforce we trust"

lizardfolk

djos wrote:I haven't seen much "IndyCar" racing since CART imploded (Hope you rot in hell Tony George!), is there much decent road course racing or is it boring still like NASCAR with 2 token road course races per season?
Actually out of 16 rounds (1 double header) there's only 6 ovals including the 500. IndyCar might actually lose an oval next year (Fontana) and put it to 5 so it's pretty much looking similar to a CART schedule.

If you haven't watched IndyCar since CART now's a pretty good time to start imo

djos

Ok thanks for the info, now i just need to find a source as i don't think it's on Aussie tv.
"In downforce we trust"

lizardfolk

djos wrote:Ok thanks for the info, now i just need to find a source as i don't think it's on Aussie tv.
I will keep uploading IndyCar races and sharing it in this thread.

djos

Cheers, do you upload to Usenet?
"In downforce we trust"

Artur Craft

djos wrote:I haven't seen much "IndyCar" racing since CART imploded (Hope you rot in hell Tony George!), is there much decent road course racing or is it boring still like NASCAR with 2 token road course races per season?
you have lost way better racing than f1, for instance, then, imho :|

The only thing that I would like to change is less improvised street races or on places on which straights are too short and, thus, overtaking is very difficult.

A race of this cars on COTA would be fantastic, I reckon. I guess Bernie has an agreement with the track organizers for that not to happen, which is a big pitty.
Cuky wrote: Those images are 3D renders...but that car was already tested at CoTA earlier this year. Here is a picture of it on the track in camouflage livery
I wonder if unofficial laptimes were mentioned somewhere. Given how much downforce these cars now have(likely quite more than F1), I think they wouldn't be far from F1, albeit having only 700HP and no DRS.

GP2 also had no DRS last year and I think their power is around 600HP. IIRC, the typical gap between F1 and GP2 poles was around 5s. Bridgestone/Firestone tires, used in Indycar, can also be faster than Pirellis, so a 2s gap would seem feasible, I guess.
lizardfolk wrote:
cossie wrote: They increased down force 25 percent with only 650,bhp.
And? IndyCar has more horsepower than GP2 and GP2 still has more downforce than IndyCar
I doubt that considering the current FW is a multi element monster with very high AoA and should generate way more downforce than even F1's. Can't see the rear of Indycar's being down on GP2(or F1) either. And tbh, these cars even look(when cornering) faster than F1s