Next Generation of World Rally Cars

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
br21
0
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:23 pm

Re: Next Generation of World Rally Cars

Postby br21 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:33 pm

Very interesting season in front of us. Cars will be really powerful, with similar (already big) amount of torque like they had this season. Active diffs will make big difference in handling, also much more advanced aero will be big and important factor.

roon
4
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:04 pm

Re: Next Generation of World Rally Cars

Postby roon » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:31 pm

br21 wrote:Very interesting season in front of us. Cars will be really powerful, with similar (already big) amount of torque like they had this season. Active diffs will make big difference in handling, also much more advanced aero will be big and important factor.


I agree, should be interesting. I wonder how much aero will make a difference in this new formula, considering the big mechanical changes. Toyota looks to have taken fullest advantage of the new dimensional/aerodynamic rules—compact radiator ducting, side mirror wings, huge rear wheel extractors, center exhaust blowing over top the diffuser. The diffuser itself is remarkably well integrated. From the rear it looks like a contorted LMP.

Image

BanMeToo
12
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:26 pm
Location: USA

Re: Next Generation of World Rally Cars

Postby BanMeToo » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:21 pm

Wow. These things are going to fly :shock:

Pierce89
81
User avatar
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:38 pm

Re: Next Generation of World Rally Cars

Postby Pierce89 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:38 am

roon wrote:
br21 wrote:Very interesting season in front of us. Cars will be really powerful, with similar (already big) amount of torque like they had this season. Active diffs will make big difference in handling, also much more advanced aero will be big and important factor.


I agree, should be interesting. I wonder how much aero will make a difference in this new formula, considering the big mechanical changes. Toyota looks to have taken fullest advantage of the new dimensional/aerodynamic rules—compact radiator ducting, side mirror wings, huge rear wheel extractors, center exhaust blowing over top the diffuser. The diffuser itself is remarkably well integrated. From the rear it looks like a contorted LMP.

http://hanabi.autoweek.com/sites/default/files/styles/gen-1200-675/public/2017-toyota-yaris-wrc_3.jpg?itok=GksIcwzZ

The Citroen has a HUGE diffuser also.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

roon
4
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:04 pm

Re: Next Generation of World Rally Cars

Postby roon » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:15 am

True, and dive planes up front. Something I don't recall seeing on a WRC car before.

I noticed the diffusers on the Citroen, Ford, VW, & Hyundai all jut out past the rear bumper. The Toyota's is flush. So maybe their rear suspension/chassis/drivetrain accommodates this in a way which the others don't. I would think minimal overhangs would be beneficial in rally.

Another thought is yaw. These cars spend a lot of time in it. How much downforce dropoff might there be when pivoting these cars at high speeds? Was that ever an issue in Group B?

br21
0
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:23 pm

Re: Next Generation of World Rally Cars

Postby br21 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:55 pm

For sure those aero things were developed to work when car going sideways also.
For me main thing is how those big aero packages will last, especially during gravel rallies.
Interesting as active diff will mainly affect tight corners and aero will affect high speed corners.

sonnybobiche
0
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:00 pm

Re: Next Generation of World Rally Cars

Postby sonnybobiche » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:22 am

roon wrote:Another thought is yaw. These cars spend a lot of time in it. How much downforce dropoff might there be when pivoting these cars at high speeds?


Good question. I would think that wings with lots of vertical fins like some of the iterations of Toyota's design would cause stalling when going anything but forward. But the thing that really leaves me scratching my head is how they get around the pitch problem with the rear diffuser. These cars necessarily have huge suspension travel and pitch up and down like crazy. Wouldn't that cause big instability in downforce as well?

Please be gentle guys, it's my first post and I haven't studied aerospace engineering in more than a decade.

MadMatt
148
User avatar
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:04 pm

Re: Next Generation of World Rally Cars

Postby MadMatt » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:36 pm

Rallycars make more downforce sideways than in straight line, which make sense. Why would you need that much downforce (and drag) going in a straight line! :)




Return to “Other racing series”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CCBot [Bot] and 0 guests