Accident at Nürburgring race

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
absbeginner

Accident at Nürburgring race

According to Jalopnik :

http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/nissan-gt ... thardigree

there was an accident today at Nurburgring race, a Nissan Nismo flipped into spectactor area.

Ava Pug

Re: Accident at Nürburgring race

scary

Just_a_fan

A horrible reminder of how dangerous our sport can be. Hopefully those who were injured will make a full recovery. Condolences to the family of the person killed.

It does make me wonder how much longer the Nordschleife will be used for racing. The circuit is struggling already and this won't help.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

MadMatt

Sad accident. I hope they won't flatten that crest like they did at LeMans after the Mercedes accidents. :(

mep

Let`s look at it from a different point of view: What is unsafe here; the track or the car?

-Felix-

When you look closely it looks like the front of the car is already airborn approaching the top of the crest. Of course the crest makes it worse then but I doubt it was solely the track..
I was there by the way, the atmosphere afterwards was horrible :cry:

MadMatt

mep wrote:Let`s look at it from a different point of view: What is unsafe here; the track or the car?
Neither or both. If the crest hadn't been there the Nissan would have stayed on the ground, but no other car flew like this there so it has to be the Nissan. Mercedes added dive planes on their LeMans car 16 years ago and the ACO modified the track, but I would find it a shame they touch this track.

Maybe these GT3 cars need a bit of rethink considering they have always been on the edge at that place due to their aero package.

void

-Felix- wrote:When you look closely it looks like the front of the car is already airborn approaching the top of the crest. Of course the crest makes it worse then but I doubt it was solely the track..
I was there by the way, the atmosphere afterwards was horrible :cry:
I think the same. Ths video shows it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL-srTS63lY

MadMatt

No. This is not a straight forward crest/jump. In fact, the car always leaves the ground before the top of the crest where the slope is the steepest, then it flattens again, so basically you have the initial ramp, then a short flatter part, and finally the flat track, so the cars always lift off before they reach the top of the crest. Take a look at this shot, it clearly shows what I am talking about:

The car is airborne before the top of the crest. Few more pictures of flying cars there. Its just an unfortunate accident.

MadMatt

It seems that VLN categories SP7 to SP10 and SP-Pro and SP-X are now not allowed. Basically all the top cars. This will effectively kill the VLN. :(

Cold Fussion

That seems like a bit of over kill. Couldn't they have just made a longer spectator inclusion zone until better safety barriers are installed?

RicME85

To back up what Matt is saying ,there is a second angle of the incident - https://youtu.be/5quxhNEio_g

Oh and the ban is temporary whilst they investigate.

WaikeCU

Has the Nordschleife trackside ever been changed throughout the years? I don't see any tire walls at all. I only see barriers. Also, the cars have gone faster throughout the years.

andylaurence

WaikeCU wrote:Has the Nordschleife trackside ever been changed throughout the years? I don't see any tire walls at all. I only see barriers. Also, the cars have gone faster throughout the years.
They flattened some of the crests back in the 70s and it's lined with Armco these days, which it wasn't back then. They've been putting up Armco in new locations even in the last few years. The track is constantly evolving as it's in constant daily use and sections are resurfaced over time. The catch fencing that the car went over only went up about 5 years ago, I think. I don't remember much catch fencing anywhere the first time I went.

-Felix-

MadMatt wrote:It seems that VLN categories SP7 to SP10 and SP-Pro and SP-X are now not allowed. Basically all the top cars. This will effectively kill the VLN. :(
I don't think the ban is forever. It will just last until the first wave of press and media Attention is gone.