FSAE

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
KeithYoung

FSAE

Anyone have pictures of FSAE cars? Post them here I'd like to see them. I have some as well if I could only dig them up.[/img]

Monstrobolaxa

heheheh.... FSAE.....probably that's going to be my end of degrre project...I'm in aeronautics.....and I'm planning to build a FSAE for my project!....or develop my own F1 car!

KeithYoung

i would love to build my own, between me and my freinds we have everything but the money :wink: i finally found my fsae pictures from this year at the silverdome(where was also this week for the metallica concert!!!!!!!) but i am having trouble uploading to my website due to company takeover, hopefully some pictures will be up soon.

KeithYoung

here we go, 1st picture lets describe what we see here...
Ok, here you can see the pedals, gas, brake, and clutch. They rotate about the bottom as this keeps the mechanical parts low. Moving back you see the brake lines simply zip tied down toe the wishbones, simple and cheap yet not very aerodynamic, there are ways to route that through the wishbones for better flow. Pushrod suspension, notice the pushrod travels between the upper wishbone and the steering arm, I hope they tested with all possible scenarios (bump, steering, etc). Next is the bellcrank or rocker whatever you like to call it, note the lack of antiroll or torsion bars of any kind, yet they designed the rockers to handle them. You can see the radiator on the right side of the car, it is tilted forward to get more cooling area while reducing the frontal cross section-reducing drag. The other side lacks a radiator as this is where the fire extinguisher and most of the electronics apear to be. Any idea what the red object under the left lower wish bone is? Perhaps some sort of sensor but it is odly placed. There also seems to be some sort of display on the dash, and the wires appear to go forward, to what I am not sure. Anyway this is enough for the first post my fingers are sore hehe. I hope the picture comes in right so you can at least see what I am describing.[/img]

Monstrobolaxa

The red object that is under the wishbone seems to be a timing becon! It's a really strange place to put one......but it really looks like the ones used at go-kart circuits.

KeithYoung

I have more similar pictures but i should consult the webmaster as the image came in bigger than i had expected and takes up alot of his available memory i am sure. What do you make of that distributer?

Monstrobolaxa

I don't know to much about distributers....I'm more into aerodynamics, suspensions and a little bit about engines and gearboxes!

But it seems to me that they have 2 distributers.....correct me if I'm wrong....but it looks to me that they are using a 4 cylinder engine.....and they are using a distributer for each 2 cylinders....probably a distributer for each oposite cylinders....cause if one of the distributers malfunctions it isn't to good to keep the engine running with only one bank working!

About your first post about the car....in spite the fact that you don't see the torsion bar....it might have one....in some cases the torsion bar is conected to the chassis....what I mean is that in some cases the torsion bar is the area were the rocker is connected to the chassis....is this case in the area of the biggest bolt/nut on the rockers.....but unless we take a look at the car without the rocker it's impossible to know.

About the suspension geometry, I also think it was poorly thought....

Even though it's seems to be a very simple car...with not too many briliant minds behind it!!!! :lol:

Notice the upwrights....it seems to me that they're made from aluminum!.....and notice that they're also very simple.....I believe this car might win the simplicity award!!! hahaha :lol:

Smeerak

As far as I know, aero really doesn't play a major a role in FSAE simply because of the speed limitations. The main hurdle with FSAE is getting the power out of a restricted air intake.

have fun !

old_ timer
old_ timer

Distributer

The yellow object is (are) the ignition coils for the electronic ignition. There is no distributoer as such since the timing is controled by the black box.

NickT

Hey Guys,

Race Tech magazine have done loads of articles on FSAE, definately worth the investment on that front and they have a prety good back ordering system to

Cheers
NickT