New Pikes Peak Record 2015 Electric cars wins overall PPIHC

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
flynfrog

New Pikes Peak Record 2015 Electric cars wins overall PPIHC

This thing is a beast. Congrats to Rhys.

mzivtins
mzivtins

Re: New Pikes Peak Record 2015 Electric cars wins overall PP

Love pikes peak, what is the siren noise? i can only guess its to warn officials etc that the car is 'live'?

SteveRacer

The siren is to warn spectators that a "silent" vehicle is coming. Often you will see spectators running off the track just before a vehicle comes off the course.

G-Rock
G-Rock

I made it to Pikes peak this year and had a great time. Great crowd, volunteers and a spectacular view. Reminded me of a European rally, only bigger and more American. Everything from electric cars to sidecars to ATV's. Any madman with wheels can go up, even a Sheikh from Quatar took a 918 up the mountain.
Electric cars a cool but from a spectators point of view, pales in comparison to hearing a big block V8 or screaming flat 6 hurtling towards you. IMO electric cars will kill motorsports.
--------------------------------------------------------

Andres125sx

I agree we´ll have to get used to electric cars, they´re too different

We´re used to screaming ICEs. Consciously or not, we make a correlation between sound and perfomance because that´s all we´ve known

The higher noise the better perfomance, there´s a direct relationship with ICEs, you can see that with any car or bike with an ICE. Regular communters, sporty vehicles, race vehicles, F1... perfomance increases the same way (more or less) than noise.

That´s the reason for so many complains with V6T and electric vehicles IMO

TzeiTzei
TzeiTzei

When a big V8 goes past you on track, you can feel it. And that is a sensation no electric car can ever match. Better enjoy it while it lasts.

machin

G-Rock wrote:IMO electric cars will kill motorsports.
When electric cars were slower than ICE-powered cars I could understand why some would have that point of view.. now they're faster (granted, this is very much circumstances/rules dependent), and the fact that quiet cars opens up the possibility of using venues that were previously off limits due to the NIMBY brigade, I must say I'm totally against this viewpoint... you could easily argue that electric cars are going to save motorsport....
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

They were fastest this year but they were still quite a long way from the outright record.

langwadt
langwadt

Cold Fussion wrote:They were fastest this year but they were still quite a long way from the outright record.
They were still around 40seconds faster than any record before Loeb, with only front wheel drive for half the course that
isn't bad

Andres125sx

Cold Fussion wrote:They were fastest this year but they were still quite a long way from the outright record.
Considering...

1- They lost half of their motors so half of power, and I guess a ton of driveability... How much time they lost because of this?

2- There´s a driver difference between Rhys Millen (regular rally, drifting and stunts driver) and Sebastian Loeb (probably best rally driver ever)

3- There´s a team and car difference between oficial Peugeot Sports team and a Latvian EV manufacturer

... I guess ICEs should be afraid about next editions

BTW, second overall also was an EV

Andres125sx

Didn´t know the car was such a beast :shock:
The eO PP03 is powered by six electric motors and produces a peak output of 1,368 horsepower and 1,593 pound-feet of torque
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1067 ... ower-video

Some pics of the winner:

And second was not a mild setup either...
Tajima’s new ride is called the Tajima Rimac E-Runner Concept One, and it’s powered by four independent electric motors that generate a combined output of 1,475 hp. There are no gearboxes or differentials on this car. The power of each independent motor is transferred to each wheel by an innovative chain drive system developed specifically for this project, a design that is said to save significant weight and space.

One of the highlights of the new race car is its torque vectoring system, which Rimac initially developed for its Concept One road car. The system controls the torque of each motor 100 times a second and adjusts the output depending on the steering angle, speed, longitudinal and lateral forces, yaw-rates and number of other variables. The ECU runs the collected sensor-data through complex mathematical algorithms which calculate the optimum torque distribution on a millisecond-level.

flynfrog

Also the usual two fastest drivers up the hill brought electric cars this year so there wasn't a full on ice unlimited car to race against. The Dallenbach car inst usually that fast.

langwadt
langwadt

flynfrog wrote:Also the usual two fastest drivers up the hill brought electric cars this year so there wasn't a full on ice unlimited car to race against. The Dallenbach car inst usually that fast.
I just had a quick look at results from previous years, they are faster or with in seconds of every one but the Loeb time

mrluke
mrluke

Formula E would be better with the 1,500 bhp motors from these cars rather than the 200bhp they use now.

Tim.Wright

Let not get too carried away with the fact that the car is electric. All this has shown is that you need 1300+Hp and lots of downforce to win pikes peak. Whether the car is electric, combustion or powered by duck farts is largely irellevant.
Not the engineer at Force India