Japanese Super formula 2015

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
PlatinumZealot

Japanese Super formula 2015

Was browsing F1 fanatic and came across this post by Kieth. The cars look pretty quick and racing looks good.

Anyway, the championship final is coming up with 18 points on the line and four drivers who can mathematically win it. I so want to watch it. Anyone know when can I watch it live?

๐Ÿ–๏ธโœŒ๏ธโ˜๏ธ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œโœ๏ธ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ™

BanMeToo

Re: Japanese Super formula 2015

iirc these cars are quite fast, GP2 speeds or even faster. It would be nice to find coverage, yea, I've never seen any floating around...

PlatinumZealot

Here is the final.

These cars look fast!

I heard their cornering speeds are very high. Lotterer for one came to grips very fast with the Caterham last year destroying Ericson on the first outing. So the cars must be close to F1 speed.

Nakajima and Kobayashi have improved greatly over the years. The champion winner Hiroaki Ishiura looks solid. It would be interesting to see one of these top Japanse drivers in F1.

๐Ÿ–๏ธโœŒ๏ธโ˜๏ธ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œโœ๏ธ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ™

ian_s

i just looked up the pole times for both the F1 and Super Formula for Suzaka.
as far as i can tell they run the same course, it's not shortened at all, so should be a good direct comparison:
Rosberg: 1โ€™32.584
Lotterer: 1'38.354

so less than 6 seconds between them. Lotterer was inside the 107% rule :lol:

Jonnycraig

The SF cars have far more downforce than an F1 car. The 2014 SF was a second faster through the Suzuka esses than the 2014 Merc.

ME4ME

Either that or better tires.. :)

turbof1

The cars have less engine power then GP2, but the downforce created from the floor is enormous. They run very big diffusers:

They do have a legality plank, but it looks to be a lot flatter then the one in F1:
A lot less ride height then in F1. The floor is also sealed from tyre squirt.

I would like to know the D/L ratio on that beast!
#AeroFrodo

Writinglife

Definitely a nice looking car with a decent sound.

Might be worth a watch next season.

Carbon

Very nice looking and sounding cars - reminds me of the old Formula Atlantic to some degree.

For those interested, more tech specs here http://superformula.net/sf/en/about/

Pierce89

It's easy to make a ton of downforce when Dallara just gets to design whatever they want with no actual regulations governing what they can do.
โ€œTo be able to actually make something is awfully niceโ€
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

โ€œI've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger goโ€
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

FW17

Pierce89 wrote:It's easy to make a ton of downforce when Dallara just gets to design whatever they want with no actual regulations governing what they can do.

Wonder why they used a step in the Chassis?

Just a 10 mm plank (for safety) on a flat bottom would Have been easier

Andres125sx

So more downforce and less power.....

I canยดt stop myself thinking about some people who told me in other thread how boring would be F1 with more downforce and less power, when I presented an idea about reducing PU displacement, and implement active aero to reduce drag and keep similar top speeds with more efficient cars and aero :mrgreen:

sgth0mas

Andres125sx wrote:So more downforce and less power.....

I canยดt stop myself thinking about some people who told me in other thread how boring would be F1 with more downforce and less power, when I presented an idea about reducing PU displacement, and implement active aero to reduce drag and keep similar top speeds with more efficient cars and aero :mrgreen:
Super formula is pretty similar to indy in that its near a spec series...which are typically better races to watch. I dont recall who told you that f1 would be boring with more aero and less power, but i would venture to say its because of the difficulty in following a car with more reliance on DF and using bubble gum tires.

mrluke

The interesting thing would be whether they find it easier to follow one another <1 second as a comparison for the increased GE discussion for F1 2017

ME4ME

sgth0mas wrote:Super formula is pretty similar to indy in that its near a spec series...which are typically better races to watch. I dont recall who told you that f1 would be boring with more aero and less power, but i would venture to say its because of the difficulty in following a car with more reliance on DF and using bubble gum tires.
I for one would like to see more power, lot's more. 1200+ if possible.
It's not only the racing between cars that attract me, I enjoy watching the cars go fast probably even more. Especially onboard laps in tricky conditions.

Would love to see F1 keep the same power units but increase fuel flow rate a bit 8)