World Endurance Championship 2016

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Morteza

Re: World Endurance Championship 2016

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Sevach

Porsche is looking unbeatable here, but it's a long race.

TzeiTzei

Surprisingly Toyota probably could have won this on pure pace. Audi were nowhere. The low downforce package didn't seem to work in the race. I don't think I've ever seen so much unreliability from factory LMP1 cars. It was great to have Rebellion on podium, but I wish that somehow through BoP they could atleast halve the gap. It was actually quite interesting to watch their lap times compared to the hybridless Porsche. Very similar. LMP2 was, as is the norm these days, just great. So many good teams with good driver line-ups. And also it was interesting to see how the Oreca (fast on straights) and Ligier (fast in sector 2) have completely different characteristics.

Arunas

What car Alpina-Signatech LMP2 team is using this year?

TzeiTzei

Arunas wrote:What car Alpina-Signatech LMP2 team is using this year?
Oreca 05

Gerhardsa

Guys.
Does the FIA define track limits different for GT cars as oppose to Open wheel cars?
AKA.
"Drivers must use the track at all times. For the avoidance of doubt the white lines defining the track edges are considered to be part of the track but the kerbs are not.
A driver will be judged to have left the track if no part of the car remains in contact with the track.
Should a car leave the track for any reason the driver may rejoin. However, this may only be done when it is safe to do so and without gaining any advantage. At the absolute discretion of the Race Director a driver may be given the opportunity to give back the whole of any advantage he gained by leaving the track"

Cold Fussion

If it is your intention to understand track limit rules across various categories it is probably best to give up to avoid giving yourself a headache. There's very little consistency within class let alone across classes.

Jolle

I think, in general it's very simple. The track is that piece of grey stuff between the white lines. Wether or not and how it's enforced is up to the stewards of the meeting.

Sevach

http://www.motorsport.com/wec/news/webb ... 16-838165/

Mark Webber is retiring from motorsport. =D>

Is Button sure he wants to be a backup?

Sevach

http://www.motorsport.com/wec/news/audi ... 16-843080/

Terrible news, Audi will leave the WEC at the end of the year, there was some speculation, but now it's confirmed.

Sevach

Shame car 1 had such a bad start to the season, they should be the ones winning the drivers championship.
4 wins to 2 rather lucky ones from car 2, one for 8 and one for 6.

Sevach

http://www.motorsport.com/wec/news/lott ... on-850197/

Lotterer and Tandy will be part of the Porsche line up for 2017, Bamber still under suspense.

Speculation on who besides Webber will leave.

Cold Fussion

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/11/16/2017 ... id-engine/

So is the 911 moving to a mid engine config more related to aerodynamics or dynamics?

bdr529

Cold Fussion wrote:http://www.autoblog.com/2016/11/16/2017 ... id-engine/

So is the 911 moving to a mid engine config more related to aerodynamics or dynamics?
It's hard to say, either one on their own would certainly have a big effect on the handling,
and in the 911 case moving the engine from rear to mid they will get the benefit of both
But just based on the cost to do something like this, I would have to think the driving force behind the decision was vehicle dynamics,

Then I look at that rear diffuser, and I change my mind :D

What ever the reason for this change, it will be interesting to see how the car stacks up with the competition
they've done pretty good up till now with the engine hanging off the ass end of the car.

Tim.Wright

I think there are big advantages in both aerodynamics and tyre use.

I remember a few years ago they weren't able to double stint their tyres because the rears wore/degraded faster than their competitors due to the higher inertial loadings. I don't know if the situation has changed since then.

The tyres are a avilable only in a single measure which is more suited to mid-engine vehicles in my opinion.
Not the engineer at Force India