World Endurance Championship 2016

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Sevach
Sevach

Re: World Endurance Championship 2016

Pierce89

bdr529 wrote:
Cold Fussion wrote:http://www.autoblog.com/2016/11/16/2017 ... id-engine/

So is the 911 moving to a mid engine config more related to aerodynamics or dynamics?
It's hard to say, either one on their own would certainly have a big effect on the handling,
and in the 911 case moving the engine from rear to mid they will get the benefit of both
But just based on the cost to do something like this, I would have to think the driving force behind the decision was vehicle dynamics,

Then I look at that rear diffuser, and I change my mind :D
http://o.aolcdn.com/dims-global/dims3/G ... r-la-1.jpg

What ever the reason for this change, it will be interesting to see how the car stacks up with the competition
they've done pretty good up till now with the engine hanging off the ass end of the car.
It was all aero. Porsche couldn't fit a large enough diffuser under the engine to optimize the new for 2016 aero regs.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Pierce89

Tim.Wright wrote:I think there are big advantages in both aerodynamics and tyre use.

I remember a few years ago they weren't able to double stint their tyres because the rears wore/degraded faster than their competitors due to the higher inertial loadings. I don't know if the situation has changed since then.

The tyres are a avilable only in a single measure which is more suited to mid-engine vehicles in my opinion.
Ehh I don't think its to do with tires so much as aero. If the 2 front engined cars can use the same tires as Ferrari and Ford, then so can Porsche. They were great right up until the new aero regs came in effect.

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Tim.Wright

Pierce89 wrote:
Tim.Wright wrote:I think there are big advantages in both aerodynamics and tyre use.

I remember a few years ago they weren't able to double stint their tyres because the rears wore/degraded faster than their competitors due to the higher inertial loadings. I don't know if the situation has changed since then.

The tyres are a avilable only in a single measure which is more suited to mid-engine vehicles in my opinion.
Ehh I don't think its to do with tires so much as aero. If the 2 front engined cars can use the same tires as Ferrari and Ford, then so can Porsche. They were great right up until the new aero regs came in effect.
As far as I know there aren't any real front engined cars in GTE. They all have the engine behind the front axle line.

The 911 was the only one with the engine outside of the wheelbase.
Not the engineer at Force India

Pierce89

Tim.Wright wrote:
Pierce89 wrote:

As far as I know there aren't any real front engined cars in GTE. They all have the engine behind the front axle line.

The 911 was the only one with the engine outside of the wheelbase.
Corvette and Beemer. Im talking about the US championship though Corvette races Le Mans and will do the full WEC from next year.

Sevach
Sevach

I think they both have "front-mid engine" as opposed to pure front engine... could be wrong.

Pierce89

Sevach wrote:I think they both have "front-mid engine" as opposed to pure front engine... could be wrong.
I know the BMW engine is not contained behind the front axle, the Corvette is a tougher call as the front of the engine is roughly on the axle line.

Tim.Wright

If by BMW you mean the Z4 thats definately mid front. The engine is a long way behind the axle. From what I've seen of the Corvette the engine is a long way back. Not as far as the Z4 but I definately wouldn't class it as front engined.

Sevach
Sevach

http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/durh ... eer-hands/

This could help WEC for a couple of years, however who is in a position to actually try it?
Spend huge money and probably still outgunned by Porsche.

TzeiTzei
TzeiTzei

Sevach wrote:http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/durh ... eer-hands/

This could help WEC for a couple of years, however who is in a position to actually try it?
Spend huge money and probably still outgunned by Porsche.
If some privateer had the money to do it, I think they would only do Le Mans and maybe Spa + Silverstone to get up to speed. At LM you don't necessarily have to be the fastest. IMO the rest of the season would be a waste of money.

Sevach
Sevach

What the Audi 2017 was meant to be.

Porsche is testing their 2017 contender as well.

Pierce89

Tim.Wright wrote:If by BMW you mean the Z4 thats definately mid front. The engine is a long way behind the axle. From what I've seen of the Corvette the engine is a long way back. Not as far as the Z4 but I definately wouldn't class it as front engined.
I mean the new IMSA m6, which is a gt3 BOPed to gte.

Tim.Wright

This one?

Pierce89

Dat be's da one. I would call it front engined as it looks like she noses across that front axle pretty substantially.

Tim.Wright

You cant even see where the engine starts in that picture though. Looking at the road car it looks like the engine block probably starts right at the front axle so the majority of the engine would be inside the wheelbase.
There is no way the racecar would have the engine more forward than the production car.

Still looks like a pretty clear front-mid installation to me.