Moto GP 2016.

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
F1NAC

Re: Moto GP 2016.

Still faster than pirelli

J.A.W.

Well, the Czech G.P. was another lottery, due to the wet weather/tyre choices.

But lo & behold, for the 1st time in ~35 years, a Brit stood on top of the box, so good effort there as winner, Cal Crutchlow.
Rossi's choice of rubber compound appeared to have let him down, but he persevered to take 2nd, from MM.. who looks good for the title.
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

GPR-A duplicate2

F1NAC wrote:Still faster than pirelli

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CqaOtrrWYAA1DPz.jpg
Importantly, despite such a high wear, it didn't blow out. That proves, it is possible to make tyres that grain, wear and what not, but still stay together.

henry

GPR-A wrote:

Importantly, despite such a high wear, it didn't blow out. That proves, it is possible to make tyres that grain, wear and what not, but still stay together.
Do you think that is an altogether fair comparison considering the difference in loads the two formulae apply to the tyres?
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

Juzh

J.A.W. wrote: Rossi's choice of rubber compound appeared to have let him down, but he persevered to take 2nd, from MM.. who looks good for the title.
Key word "appeared", as it was only the case at the start of the race. Same with cruclow. It quickly became clear when it didn't wanna dry out any sort of hard wet compund was vastly superior.

Jolle

GPR-A wrote:

"Stay together" is not something I think that applies to this front tire. It's missing some key elements that make up a tire. That it still holds air is more luck then design. If it would have lost a bit more rubber and the cords would have touched the tarmac he would have crashed (best case, front wheel wipeout, worst case, high speed crash)

Samraj_official

Pirelli must definitely learn atleast something from yesterdays motogp race, yes i know we should compare car compounds to bike compounds but still the Michelin wet tires raced gracefully despite the last 7-8 being quite dry!!

henry

Samraj_official wrote:Pirelli must definitely learn atleast something from yesterdays motogp race, yes i know we should compare car compounds to bike compounds but still the Michelin wet tires raced gracefully despite the last 7-8 being quite dry!!
If by "raced gracefully" you mean " finished with a third of the tread missing" you make a very good point.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

Samraj_official

henry wrote:
Samraj_official wrote:Pirelli must definitely learn atleast something from yesterdays motogp race, yes i know we should compare car compounds to bike compounds but still the Michelin wet tires raced gracefully despite the last 7-8 being quite dry!!
If by "raced gracefully" you mean " finished with a third of the tread missing" you make a very good point.
No, but the thing to be noted is, despite a third of the tread missing, the wet bikes were pretty competitive against hard runners on a drying track and it wasn't a free fall either...

henry

Samraj_official wrote:
henry wrote:
No, but the thing to be noted is, despite a third of the tread missing, the wet bikes were pretty competitive against hard runners on a drying track and it wasn't a free fall either...
And also to note that Lorenzo and Dovisioso both had to change bikes because they couldn't continue on chunked front tyres. But I am not critical of the tyres or their manufacturers but rather your, in my mind, wholly inappropriate comparison between anything in this MotoGP race and F1. It smacks of seizing any remotely appropriate stick and beating Pirelli with it.

Samraj_official

oops sorry instead of typing " we shouldn't compare tires between both championships" i typed " we should compare".....pretty big mistake on my side..... #-o ....case closed.....

Pierce89

Jolle wrote:
GPR-A wrote:

"Stay together" is not something I think that applies to this front tire. It's missing some key elements that make up a tire. That it still holds air is more luck then design. If it would have lost a bit more rubber and the cords would have touched the tarmac he would have crashed (best case, front wheel wipeout, worst case, high speed crash)
Yes this front tire is so horrible that on their first try Michelin is equal in pace to the Bridgestone tires developed for over a decade. You're the only person still complaining the riders finally realized these tires just have a different feel to get used to and got on with it. Overall though, my first statement says all that needs said.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

J.A.W.

Pirelli has been the World Superbike Championship series sole tyre supplier - for the past decade, as it happens..

If you want to compare the race times Michelin has managed vs Bridgestone last season, the Moto GP site has the data.

Pierce89

J.A.W. wrote:Pirelli has been the World Superbike Championship series sole tyre supplier - for the past decade, as it happens..

If you want to compare the race times Michelin has managed vs Bridgestone last season, the Moto GP site has the data.
I know and Michelin has actually already beat Bridgestone in some race times, yet people are slagging off Michelin. It's mind blowing to me.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

J.A.W.

Grid positions for pending British GP at Silverstone, (Q done in wet conditions, but a dry race forecast).

1, C C;
2, V.R.;
3, M.V;
4,D.P.;
5,M.M..