MotoGP 2017

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Ana

Re: MotoGP 2017

I guess the most exciting battle at the Assen TT was for the third position Marc, Cruchclow did all they could. Glad Rossi won the race.
Fingers crossed for this weekend. As today's practice Rossi is on 16th the last result i saw.

J.A.W.

G.P. Germania at the Sachsenring: M.M. duly took his 8th straight victory from pole, & the Championship lead,
but had to defeat a challenge from hard-riding local J. Folger, on the Tech 3 - 2nd string Yamaha - to do it..

Factory Honda teammate Dani earned 3rd, followed by the factory Yamaha pair while the Ducati efforts faded away over race distance.. on the freshly resealed/hard on rubber, track surface..

Yet at one point, ' bout mid-race, there were 5 different makes of machine - in the top 8!
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

Ana

I could not understand the point system. Like when Rossi was 4th and Vinales was 5th they were both at the same points that was 121. When either of the two changed the position, they should have remained at the same point. At least for Rossi it was 121 and 8 points behind Marquez.
By the end of the race Rossi stands 10 points behind. How is that possible? May be i am missing something.

rscsr

Ana wrote:
03 Jul 2017, 16:11
I could not understand the point system. Like when Rossi was 4th and Vinales was 5th they were both at the same points that was 121. When either of the two changed the position, they should have remained at the same point. At least for Rossi it was 121 and 8 points behind Marquez.
By the end of the race Rossi stands 10 points behind. How is that possible? May be i am missing something.
They use a different points system:
25-20-16-13-11-10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1

Rossi was 4th (13points) at first and 8 points behind Marquez and finished 5th (11points). Therefore his distance to Marquez increased by 2 points.

Ana

I know the point system for the positions, but i guess i mistook Rossi's position to 4th the reason i had this in mind how could he be 10 points behind.
Now it is quite clear. Thank you. :)

Andres125sx

Nice race in Germany, Marc is stablishing some impresive records, 8 victories in a row in Sachsenring including all categories... wow!! :wtf:

Not sure what happened with the oficial Ducati bikes, but Bautista did it great to finish 6th, first ducati, with his GP16 from past season

What´s happening with Viñales past two GPs? Tires?

J.A.W.

Andres125sx wrote:
04 Jul 2017, 10:28
Nice race in Germany, Marc is establishing some impressive records...
Agreed, M.M. has been justly rewarded for showing an excellent level of riding maturity & a strategic approach..
..necessary to overcome the deficits of DNF's - largely caused by out-riding the technical capabilities of his mount..

Andres125sx

Agree, he´s always on the limit with his bike, but that´s risky if the bike is not perfectly setup for that riding style and it looks like the tire change had some effect on this, wich adds to the problems Honda had at the beginning of the season with the new bike

J.A.W.

Indeed, & yet it remains to be seen if Maverick can regain his confidence & match his early season form..
..after the long summer hiatus..

It must be galling for Team Factory Yamaha to be shown up - by the 'young upstarts' on the Tech 3 machines..

Andres125sx

True, as Ducati, both Yamaha and Ducati official riders got beaten by Yamaha Tech3 and Ducati Pull&Bear Aspar Team with Folger and Bautista

Imagine in F1 Haas beating Ferrari and Williams or Force India beating Mercedes in same race, a dry race without any problem... Unthinkable :roll:

mycadcae

Not difficult to see the 'wing' in the Ducati fairing-vane. Even the upper fairing is shaped for creating aero load

- source Craig Scarborough
Regard,
Nik Wan, Mechanical Designer, CATIA V5/ Solidworks/Autodesk Inventor/ AutoCAD

f1316

It's funny how Rossi was leading the championship when struggling with the bike, but now he's got some pace he's dropped back!

Sometimes that can be the way - and obviously the off on the last lap when fighting Vinales for the win accounts for most of the gap (albeit others have also had offs) - but a strange set of circumstances.

Unless one guy strings together an unusually consistent run of wins, I can't see MM being overturned, given his current percentage game when uncompetitive - I think it's much like last year in that many riders should be challenging for the championship but Marc will end up taking it relatively comfortably through maximising his results.

Hope I'm wrong.

GPR-A duplicate2

It was so ridiculous of Rossi to carry on for 3 extra laps compared to MM. Now that they can receive text message on their dash, he could have respected what the team is advising him to do. Totally rookie mistake there.

Master stroke by MM. I am not sure if it was intentional, but it felt like that to me that, he dropped back from the leaders and they had no clue he was set to do an early stop and he gained massively by keeping them in dark.

J.A.W.

The factory HRC squad sure showed efficacious organisational merits - in that annoyingly 'fluky' race situation..

Ducati, by comparison, were veritable 'Keystone Cops' - seemingly flummoxed, in the worst tradition of Italiano drama..

nacho

Most had their second bike in the same setup as the one they started, they do this incase there's a problem before the start.

Marquez had his second bike in dry setting so he could come back as soon as possible.

Those who stayed out longest probably could have pitted a bit earlier.