GP3 Series will be boring because of ART Grand Prix domination?

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
theriusDR3

GP3 Series will be boring because of ART Grand Prix domination?

last 2 seasons ART Grand Prix team in GP3 Series are dominating the team's championship and ART Grand Prix are no match against other GP3 Series teams. Esteban Ocon and Charles Leclerc were the GP3 Series champions from last 2 seasons. Another ART Grand Prix GP3 Series domination for this season and beyond will damage the sport like Mercedes F1 domination in F1 last 3 years. It's time for other than ART GP3 Series teams to stop ART domination to keep the GP3 healthy.

roon

Re: GP3 Series will be boring because of ART Grand Prix domination?

How to deal with the 'problem' of success. One way would be to have some sort of trust-busting anti-monopoly type of rules, as in commerce law. Another way could be to open up the rulebook to permit technical innovation, although I assume this to be a spec series. Technical experimentation I consider to be one of the few ways which can allow a smaller team with less money to compete with a larger, more well-funded team.

In F1 the rules are so limiting that it means there's almost no room for big differences between cars. Thus only the margins can be honed, which seems to be an expensive affair. If teams could show up and race with radically different hardware, this could permit a smaller team with a new or innovative approach to defeat a bigger team who might be spending much more money fine-tuning a design that has less potential.

I think of the older days of motorsport where this sort of thing was more common. I think it was viewed more as a sport, a competition, & a gamble; less like a business, or investment, with teams full of PR, HR, and retirement plans. Perhaps it's a reflection of general cultural shifts. Or maybe it's these rose tinted spectacles...

Stormy

So, is there a big difference between teams in GP3 and GP2 performance wise? I thought those were spec-series.

NathanOlder

Stormy wrote:
29 Jul 2017, 01:15
So, is there a big difference between teams in GP3 and GP2 performance wise? I thought those were spec-series.
Yeah, GP3 is a support series to F1. GP2 is nothing.

Sorry couldn't resist

Edit: Just saw the sprint race. 1 ART in the points. And a Trident 1st 2nd 3rd 4th. Keep complaining about it and it mixes the results up :lol:
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

SuperDrummer

Wasn't GP3 boring right from the start in 2010?
IMHO ART are just doing a great job, thus attracting the best drivers which makes their advantage even bigger. Free testing could probably let other teams and driver chase ART closer, but the series' bosses will hardly allow this - they claim that harsh limit on testing which doesn't let the drivers learn cuts the budgets down.

In general, GP3 is not a proper sport anyway. It's a business project with good income for Bruno Michel and Co being its main objective. So if "boring series" still does generate income, everyone in the series management can be happy.