Alonso, McLaren, and Indycar

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
erlik

Re: Alonso, McLaren, and Indycar

The worst Alonso can be is 5th... worth outing at Indy so far :)

nevill3

So 5th it is for Nando :D
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

notsofast

Alonso P5, where have I seen that before... :D

a1b2i3r45

Alon5o

erlik

But if start were like one in F1 he would be leading after turn 1 :)

ESPImperium

Am i the only one that is thinking that if F1 was to take a concept from IndyCar, that it be the concept for Q3 where the drivers are lined up at the end of the pit lane, fastest in Q2 last, and then every 10 seconds released into the track for a 3 or 4 lap balls to the wall session of who sets the 3 fastest times they get pole?

It would certainly beat the bloody monotony of Run 1/Run 2, and therefor the truly fastest driver gets pole? And would push Pirelli to produce the 3 softest compounds to be ones that can be pushed for at least 10 laps before they start to degrade, and also the two hardest ones for ones that can last a race distance for those with less downforce on their car?

Love the fact that Indy has a great format that gives the drivers, teams and sponsors.

Come On Alonso.

GoranF1

ESPImperium wrote:
22 May 2017, 00:10
Am i the only one that is thinking that if F1 was to take a concept from IndyCar, that it be the concept for Q3 where the drivers are lined up at the end of the pit lane, fastest in Q2 last, and then every 10 seconds released into the track for a 3 or 4 lap balls to the wall session of who sets the 3 fastest times they get pole?

It would certainly beat the bloody monotony of Run 1/Run 2, and therefor the truly fastest driver gets pole? And would push Pirelli to produce the 3 softest compounds to be ones that can be pushed for at least 10 laps before they start to degrade, and also the two hardest ones for ones that can last a race distance for those with less downforce on their car?

Love the fact that Indy has a great format that gives the drivers, teams and sponsors.

Come On Alonso.
F1 tryed that before....f1 cars alot more sensitive to track changes( temp,wind ETC.) so it was not fair to all drivers and it was scraped....i agree its best format to watch.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

WaikeCU

erlik wrote:
21 May 2017, 23:49
But if start were like one in F1 he would be leading after turn 1 :)
Who knows he'll be leading after lap 1.

dans79

Just remember that at Indy, each row of the grid is three cars wide and Alonso's in the middle of Row 2.
197 104 103 7

Cold Fussion

ESPImperium wrote:
22 May 2017, 00:10

Come On Alonso.
F1's qualifying format is the best part of the F1 circus.

Chuckjr

It's fantastic he is starting at the sharp end. Sometimes there are pile up's at the start of the 500 and if you're midfield or back in the pack it's easy to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

So much of the Indy 500 is simply surviving the many accidents that happen around you (there usually are a few), and not getting caught out on a pit stop and going a lap down. Tho you can win from a lap down (J.V.) it takes a bit of luck to pull it off. If he can stay on the lead lap and can pass, he will have a shot. Every driver I've ever heard talk about Indy says it really is about getting the car dialed all during the race during the pit stops, and then be near the front for the shoot out at the end. There's no need to lead during 90% of the race and it actually saves fuel to not lead so your pit stops are faster due to needing less fuel.

I heard Mike Andretti say once that if you see a car passing high or low lines easily, that car will be at or near the front in the last laps (barring bad luck). So I'll be watching to see if Fred can pass anywhere high or low over the first 50 laps. If his car is dialed, he will have a real shot at this.

Fred said in the post quali interview the car had a lot left and he was not pushing because the engine was limiting out. Shame that.

What is it with engines and Alonso?
Watching F1 since 1986.

bucker

Engine change before Quali. Nothing has changed for Alonso :P

j2004p

bucker wrote:
22 May 2017, 07:37
Engine change before Quali. Nothing has changed for Alonso :P
"Indy Lights Engine, Indy Lights Engine!"

Andres125sx

Jokes aside, p5 for a rookie who suffered some boost problems (that´s what he said after qualy) is simply amazing =D> =D>

WaikeCU

It's going to be a long race and any yellow flag caution situation can cause the field to reshuffle. The race isn't won in turn 1, unlike how F1 can be, but it's probably the most stressful situation of the race when the cars a three wide and bunched up. It's vital to get off to a good start, survive the first few laps and settle in a good rhythm within the pack. After that, it's managing the car/race early on and move up with the leading cars when the window is there. 5th is a good position to start and the win is within grabs. We all know Fernando's capabilities: He's one on of the best/fastest racers out there, probably one of the most intelligent racers as well. Looking at his outings on IMS, he really makes use of the whole width of the track, almost brushing barriers. I just hope his oval inexperience doesn't cost him the race win, when it matters.