Le Mans 24 hours 2009

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
bhall

Re: Le Mans 24 hours 2009

roost89 wrote:Something they kept repeating was that to be classified you had to finish the last lap. Which got me thinking, if you covered say 400 laps but only lasted 20hrs yet the car in 2nd had 399 and crossed the line, would that mean the 400 lap car doesn't win?
I thought races by time were you went as far in a set period and the person that got the furthest in that time period won.
In that highly unlikely scenario, I believe the 399-lap car would indeed win. The requirements for classification at Le Mans are that you must be running at the 24-hour mark, and you must complete 70% (or 75%; I can't remember exactly) of the laps of the leading car.

sstanescu

modbaraban wrote:The race is amazing though. Such a different atmosphere, enthusiasm and sportsmanship compared to what we see in F1.
Well, 2009 was for sure the race I've watched the longest, thanks to the Eurosport broadcast, but also streaming speedtv, radio lemans, live timing. But this struck me most: felt like really a men's competition with guys sleeping in the cramped pits, team managers keeping eyes on their "armies" like true generals, really sweat and tears (fortunately no blood), and, in the end, sportsmanship, with rival team members congratulating each other. Really impressive and so "no like F1". Good job by everybody providing the racing back to the origins. =D>

Whoever missed the broadcast, 2009 is a good one to be watched.

ubrben

roost89 wrote:
Something they kept repeating was that to be classified you had to finish the last lap. Which got me thinking, if you covered say 400 laps but only lasted 20hrs yet the car in 2nd had 399 and crossed the line, would that mean the 400 lap car doesn't win?
Yes. To finish first, first you have to finish...

Ben

L.H.D

allan wrote:
modbaraban wrote:
L.H.D wrote:The rain is comming
Cancelled.

The race is amazing though. Such a different atmosphere, enthusiasm and sportsmanship compared to what we see in F1.
I totally agree!
not to mentions the wonderfully designed, and good looking cars
There were accidents, drama, retirements, and competition! classic racing =D>
I haven't enjoyed a race this much in a while (probably since Fuji 07)
Thats why i'm going next year, looking forward too it already

jon-mullen

Really solid race, bravo Peugeot! The Audis didn't really have anything for them this time around, did they? Now would be a good time for Bourdais to announce he's going to ALMS...
Loud idiot in red since 2010
United States Grand Prix Club, because there's more to racing than NASCAR

Steven
Owner

jon-mullen wrote:Really solid race, bravo Peugeot! The Audis didn't really have anything for them this time around, did they? Now would be a good time for Bourdais to announce he's going to ALMS...
I agree. Bourdais is a good driver, if not great, he dominated CART for several years and was now very very well on the pace in the Peugeot. I think F1 just doesn't fit his driving style or his expectations maybe, I don't know, but it could be better to go for something else alltogether.

Or maybe he has high hopes for whatever comes next year. He might be in another series without having to switch teams :D

Michiba

Can someone point me to any site that discusses the technical elements of the LM cars?

or perhaps we can get some threads going here?

joseff

Michiba, please take the time to read previous pages of this thread.
There are several links to LM fansites already mentioned.

modbaraban

Fantastic race!!! I watched the whole race and then slept for about 12 hours 8)
I'm very happy for Peugeot who finally made it and especially for Brabs!!

Audi seem to have shot themselves in the foot with that illegal aero that created more problems on the track than during scrutineering.

The works C6.R sang its 7.0L V8 swan song beautifully. :twisted: The private DBR9 managed to finish on the podium after having all the possible mishaps :shock: Spyker finally finished at Le Mans. Risi F430 won its class for the second time in a row (imagine it's auction value by now!)

Aston Martin Racing... amateurish? 4th with 7 superior diesels on the grid (+2 slower diesels that just work) :P

It seems that the next year can be even better, if that's possible.

Looking forward to vyselegend coming back with loads of pictures and videos.

ESPImperium

Tomba wrote:
jon-mullen wrote:Really solid race, bravo Peugeot! The Audis didn't really have anything for them this time around, did they? Now would be a good time for Bourdais to announce he's going to ALMS...
I agree. Bourdais is a good driver, if not great, he dominated CART for several years and was now very very well on the pace in the Peugeot. I think F1 just doesn't fit his driving style or his expectations maybe, I don't know, but it could be better to go for something else alltogether.

Or maybe he has high hopes for whatever comes next year. He might be in another series without having to switch teams :D
I aggree with those comments as well, i feel that the RB5/STR4 chassis dosnt suit his driving style, there may be other chassis out there in F1 that would better suit him. I feel that he could be a front runner to go to either Williams ot Renault next year if Rosberg moves to BMW Sauber and or Renault loose Alonso, id say the Williams team may be where he finds himself to be.

There were many good drives in this Le Mans race, but one driver that i though would do better would be Senna, but he just didnt impress me, and i now feel that Brawns decision was vindicated in choosing Rubens for this season.

RacingManiac

modbaraban wrote:Fantastic race!!! I watched the whole race and then slept for about 12 hours 8)
I'm very happy for Peugeot who finally made it and especially for Brabs!!

Audi seem to have shot themselves in the foot with that illegal aero that created more problems on the track than during scrutineering.

The works C6.R sang its 7.0L V8 swan song beautifully. :twisted: The private DBR9 managed to finish on the podium after having all the possible mishaps :shock: Spyker finally finished at Le Mans. Risi F430 won its class for the second time in a row (imagine it's auction value by now!)

Aston Martin Racing... amateurish? 4th with 7 superior diesels on the grid (+2 slower diesels that just work) :P

It seems that the next year can be even better, if that's possible.

Looking forward to vyselegend coming back with loads of pictures and videos.

AMR is still amateur-ish....the way that their pitcrew works on car in garage, without chassis dollies to roll the car in, casually work on the broken components....that wasn't a team that wants to win....You'd never see Audi do that, not even for their #3 car that was long out of contention....and not the Peugeot team now(last year maybe though). For sure they will need more than a supposedly equal rule to try to beat either Audi or Peugeot next time around still...

Audi's car is as illegal as Brawn GP or any of the DDD car before FIA declared it. It was a rule technicality, and it conformed to the wording of the rule. Simple as that. The car is just too new, and the lack of Le Mans pre-test hurt them a lot more than I think they thought it would. Much of the problem would've been dealt with if they had the usual test 2 weeks before the race itself. Running a new car with no baseline at the track and it shows. I think its not until maybe 8-10 hours in that #1 car was finally hitting the sweet spot in setup.

Peugeot easily is the most improved team over a year. The crew now looks well drilled and better prepared. Somethings like the awkwardly attached nosecone is still a head scratcher(especially considering how competitive the Pesca car with the old aero was), but I guess it pays off if you have no problem like the #9 car. I am happy that Braham car won and it sorta continued a family tradition for them.

wesley123

I loved the race, Peugeot was the unexpected winner here and they really did their homework well.

Audi made a completely new car(we can state that the R10 had some design flaws from the R8) wich havent got enough kilomters, and it was noticable. Audi failed miserably here due to the lack of testing and the cars understeer problem. 1 car was already out of the race(they actually mad eit three laps behind back on the track) for a unknown reason, on the onboard shots there wasnt any view of balance problems and it wnet straight in the gravel pit. The second car i believed was defeated in a crash after then 8th hour or so. It is clear that the car is having balance problems, the cars were far off the pace wich was pretty unexpected imo.

Afterall nice to see that Peugeot defeated audi with their illegal car, although audi made lots of mistakes.

The petrol powered cars were way behind the pace but where driving solid.

IMO the Kolles audis can be called the lauhgs of the race, the car won le mans multiple times but they cant push anything out of it, pretty much like it was expected.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

dumrick

I propose a nomination for stars and rejects of the race.

My picks:

STAR OF THE RACE
- Olivier Quesnel, for transforming a team that was able to lose against all odds in a Le Mans winner. I suspect the crash in the pits between #17 and #7 also helped in a no-bullshit approach from then on.

REJECT OF THE RACE
- Bruno Senna, for what was an appaling show of why often single seater sprint racers are considered unable of racing in more complex disciplines. I even suspect that Mr. De Chaunac retired the car to keep the costs of #10 from going even higher. Actually, team-mate Ortelli, a former Le Mans winner, also did had his share of unforced crashing. Only Tiago Monteiro seemed focused on what he was doing, in that car.

HONOURABLE MENTIONS
[+]
- the OAK Racing Pescarolo-Mazda #24 driver team (NICOLET Jacques/HEIN Richard/YVON Jean-Francois) for a category podium, all drivers being aged 50+.
- Team Kolles, for finishing the race, when it seemed their drivers were unable to finish even the 1st hour.

[-]
- Aston-Martin Racing drivers, for their dangerous behaviour in track, resulting in the elimination of two other cars, a driver exclusion from driving (first time I remember) and 4 minute stop-and-go penalties.
- Narain Karthikeyan for being able to injure himself severely just before the start, jumping a wall in its way to car and constraining his 2 team mates to share all driving duties.

joseff

dumrick wrote:Narain Karthikeyan for being able to injure himself severely just before the start, jumping a wall in its way to car and constraining his 2 team mates to share all driving duties.
According to another team member, he was going to the toilet... when you gotta go, you gotta go...

Timomies

I planned to watch the whole race but unfortunately my couch was too comfortable and I slept 2am-9am. I'm glad that Peuget won 8)

Now I'm thinking should I go to F1 race or Le Mans next year. Hopefully Alonso will be in LM next year, then I don't even have to think about it :)