ALMS: Petit Le Mans 2009

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
modbaraban

Re: ALMS: Petit Le Mans 2009

Scotracer wrote:Are the Pugs louder? They certainly sound different to the R15s...
Looks like. They're not admitting any related changes but many people that are actually at the track noticed that. Plus there's more visible exhaust smoke.

vyselegend

roost89 wrote:I've been following the where abouts of different cars on here: http://scoring.americanlemans.com/index_live2.php
Wht I noticed was that there were two seperate P2 headers. One was 'P2*' and the other 'P2'. Both were for the Dyson racing Lola-Mazdas. What makes the #16 so different to the #20 car?
#16 is running UNC (unclassified) because they use irregular fuel (Bio fuel from BP)

Wow Mac Nish just f*cked it up under safety car :!: Very unusual from him. The track must really be treacherous...

Speed TV's realisation sucks a lot. Sometimes there is a terrible battle for the damn race lead, with the first three cars in 1 sec, but they just keep showing a GT2 train, or even worse, a five minutes long onboard from a lonely GT2 car... =D> :roll:

modbaraban

It could be worse. At least we're not getting their commentary. :wink:

vyselegend

modbaraban wrote:It could be worse. At least we're not getting their commentary. :wink:
lol Actually we do hear 'em in the background on french Motors tv, as apparently they couldn't fade it totally.

Green flag again! Now the roles are reversed and Allan must show he's still the "Scottish Terminator".

modbaraban

Luckily we get Radio Le Mans as English commentary. Quite amusing :)

It looks like everyone's sailing again. One of the Corvettes will now lose a lot of time having dropped the anchor deep into the gravel.

Oh he's back? :shock:

vyselegend

Uhhh! Red Flag! :shock:

I remember we joked sometimes about the F1 cars being unable to cope in the rain, but PLM is turning like the Malaysian GP now. :? Problem is water won't leave the track if the cars aren't lapping it consistently.

Scotracer

Apparently it's not the rain that caused the red flag but there's lightning strikes on/near the circuit.
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

modbaraban

No worries. A man with a broom will do that in no time :mrgreen:

The water on the track is not their biggest problem however. I'm afraid it may rain some more and worse.

vyselegend

We are just at half the race distance (5hours). What are the IMSA rules about red flagged races? Is there a 70% race distance rule for the ranking to be valid? What about the points for the full time ALMS entrants? Would they get full points, half, or none if the race isn't reaching 70%?

In the case the race can't be finished (let's hope not), would there be no 2009 PLM winner :?:

modbaraban

The rules on stopped races are likely to be the same as the ones of LMS. But it's plenty of time left they're not going to 'end' the race early. According to the race director the cars won't come back out the next hour.

modbaraban

Hindy said "we're ready to race in about 20 minutes time"

Terrible3

The race was called off. I laughed when the speed tv host said they had to be off the air in time.... for what NASCAR..... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

What a shame that the race is over just like that. Allen would have made the race interesting in the rain.

modbaraban

Terrible3 wrote:The race was called off. I laughed when the speed tv host said they had to be off the air in time.... for what NASCAR..... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
The race wouldn't last more than 10 hours anyways.

I hoped for a 1 hour dash to the finish though.

vyselegend

Chekered flag! After more than three hours of waiting and promises, they decided to spoil the race. :evil:

What a shamefull end to a great race! I'm gutted, because I feel now the situation was ok for a restart, and with more than 1 hour to go, it would have been a very hard fight between Mc Nish & Montagny...

Just think about the people who broke their pig and traveled thousand miles to watch their race being cut half distance...

I'm not saying they were wrong to call the red flag, because everyone agrees there was no way they could race in those conditions, but two hours later it was possible IMO. Still a dangerous track, but practiceable.

Now Peugeot, Dyson and Risi can't even be proud of their wins...

Terrible3

modbaraban wrote:]he race wouldn't last more than 10 hours anyways.

I hoped for a 1 hour dash to the finish though.
nascar truck series is at 10pm :|