ALMS: Petit Le Mans 2009

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Ray
3
User avatar
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:33 am
Location: Atlanta

Re: ALMS: Petit Le Mans 2009

Postby Ray » Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:24 am

vyselegend wrote:Chekered flag! After more than three hours of waiting and promises, they decided to spoil the race. :evil:

What a shamefull end to a great race! I'm gutted, because I feel now the situation was ok for a restart, and with more than 1 hour to go, it would have been a very hard fight between Mc Nish & Montagny...

Just think about the people who broke their pig and traveled thousand miles to watch their race being cut half distance...

I'm not saying they were wrong to call the red flag, because everyone agrees there was no way they could race in those conditions, but two hours later it was possible IMO. Still a dangerous track, but practiceable.

Now Peugeot, Dyson and Risi can't even be proud of their wins...


Um, the area that track is in has been battered with rain for the past two weeks. There were massive puddles all over the track and McNish himself said they needed to throw the full course caution two hours ago when it had just started raining and it hasn't stopped raining since. When Scott Sharp flipped his car in practice the ground was so soft the rollbars dug in far enough that his helmet touched the grass and it left mud on it. That's plenty enough reason to stop the race. You could wait until tomorrow and the water wouldn't have disappeared. It was the right decision given the circumstances.

Image

modbaraban
0
User avatar
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:44 pm
Location: Kyiv, Ukraine

Re: ALMS: Petit Le Mans 2009

Postby modbaraban » Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:19 am

Have a look at this channel for some vids from the race.

vyselegend
0
User avatar
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:05 pm
Location: Paris, France

Re: ALMS: Petit Le Mans 2009

Postby vyselegend » Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:45 pm

Ray wrote:
vyselegend wrote:Chekered flag! After more than three hours of waiting and promises, they decided to spoil the race. :evil:

What a shamefull end to a great race! I'm gutted, because I feel now the situation was ok for a restart, and with more than 1 hour to go, it would have been a very hard fight between Mc Nish & Montagny...

Just think about the people who broke their pig and traveled thousand miles to watch their race being cut half distance...

I'm not saying they were wrong to call the red flag, because everyone agrees there was no way they could race in those conditions, but two hours later it was possible IMO. Still a dangerous track, but practiceable.

Now Peugeot, Dyson and Risi can't even be proud of their wins...


Um, the area that track is in has been battered with rain for the past two weeks. There were massive puddles all over the track and McNish himself said they needed to throw the full course caution two hours ago when it had just started raining and it hasn't stopped raining since. When Scott Sharp flipped his car in practice the ground was so soft the rollbars dug in far enough that his helmet touched the grass and it left mud on it. That's plenty enough reason to stop the race. You could wait until tomorrow and the water wouldn't have disappeared. It was the right decision given the circumstances.


Well, I can understand that. I was just gutted because I had waited up to 2 am (which pissed my wife) for nothing :| , and PLM was a race I was dreaming of for months, so it turned out to be a disapointment. Let's say it also, the timming of the storm was really bad: It had been a race under Mc Nish & Capello's domination for hours, but we were having a great return of Montagny & Sarrazin which was promising a terrible fight! I know inside of me it would have been very intense.

That's why I felt something was spoiled, has did probably most of the spectators on the track.

Now all I hope is they consider the possibility of this problem happening again, and start investing in a draining system. I know it is a very difficult place for natural draining, with all the elevation changes, but I bet an artificial draining network could do the job. The only question is: Can they afford it?...

Ray
3
User avatar
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:33 am
Location: Atlanta

Re: ALMS: Petit Le Mans 2009

Postby Ray » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:59 pm

The Highcroft team rebuilding the car after Sharps huge crash

modbaraban
0
User avatar
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:44 pm
Location: Kyiv, Ukraine

Re: ALMS: Petit Le Mans 2009

Postby modbaraban » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:08 am

=D>

RacingManiac
8
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:29 am

Re: ALMS: Petit Le Mans 2009

Postby RacingManiac » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:31 pm

vyselegend wrote:
Now all I hope is they consider the possibility of this problem happening again, and start investing in a draining system. I know it is a very difficult place for natural draining, with all the elevation changes, but I bet an artificial draining network could do the job. The only question is: Can they afford it?...


Well it has happened to F1(03 Brazil, 09 Malaysia, almost as bad in 07 Fuji too) before and when you hit with a storm like that no draining in the world can save you....

Ray
3
User avatar
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:33 am
Location: Atlanta

Re: ALMS: Petit Le Mans 2009

Postby Ray » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:29 pm

vyselegend wrote:Now all I hope is they consider the possibility of this problem happening again, and start investing in a draining system. I know it is a very difficult place for natural draining, with all the elevation changes, but I bet an artificial draining network could do the job. The only question is: Can they afford it?...


My parents live in northeast Atlanta and the rain gauge in the front yard indicated 16 inches of rain but it measures 5 inches at a time, and that was only being dumped out in between massive rainstorms. There were many many parts on north Georgia that got over 24 inches of rainfall in about 10 days. There was absolutely nothing they could do, no matter what they spend. It's not that big a deal, it was too much rain to be drained off the track. No reason to spend lots of money for something that really gets no real benefit.

mx_tifoso
5
User avatar
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:01 am
Location: North America

Re: ALMS: Petit Le Mans 2009

Postby mx_tifoso » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:04 pm

It's extremely depressing that my city only gets about 3-4 inches of rain per year. :(

And this year has been one of the driest in a while.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Scotracer
2
User avatar
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:09 pm
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland, UK

Re: ALMS: Petit Le Mans 2009

Postby Scotracer » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:12 pm

mx_tifosi wrote:It's extremely depressing that my city only gets about 3-4 inches of rain per year. :(

And this year has been one of the driest in a while.


You can have some of mine :x
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

Shrek
0
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:11 am
Location: right here

Re: ALMS: Petit Le Mans 2009

Postby Shrek » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:31 am

It's been raining like crazy all last week, and i guess some of that went to Georgia
Spencer

Ray
3
User avatar
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:33 am
Location: Atlanta

Re: ALMS: Petit Le Mans 2009

Postby Ray » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:32 am

Shrek wrote:It's been raining like crazy all last week, and i guess some of that went to Georgia


Yep, literally about 2-2.5 feet of it.

Giblet
2
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:47 am
Location: Downtown Canada

Re: ALMS: Petit Le Mans 2009

Postby Giblet » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:27 am

Scotracer wrote:
mx_tifosi wrote:It's extremely depressing that my city only gets about 3-4 inches of rain per year. :(

And this year has been one of the driest in a while.


You can have some of mine :x



+1.. The Vancouver rainy season is benging on the door. You can smell the ions, and feel the cool ocean breeze.

Not seeing direct sunlight for more than two weeks at a time is actually pretty depressing, you don't notice your funk until the clouds break and you energize like a solar panel.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

mx_tifoso
5
User avatar
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:01 am
Location: North America

Re: ALMS: Petit Le Mans 2009

Postby mx_tifoso » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:12 pm

I understand you guys, as neither extreme is welcome. But I sure wouldn't mind some extra few inches of rain per year. And some clouds every now and then would be nice, especially in the summer.

Oddly enough last year was the 10th wettest on record, but this year was the 10th driest on record. :wtf: I think the same goes for temperature, but I'm not sure about that.

And I should add that we have more than 100 days of 100degree weather a year. But yesterday we finally got down into the 90's, so hopefully it will only go down from now on. *Knock on wood*
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

roost89
0
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:34 pm
Location: Highlands, Scotland

Re: ALMS: Petit Le Mans 2009

Postby roost89 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:25 pm

mx_tifosi wrote:And I should add that we have more than 100 days of 100degree weather a year. But yesterday we finally got down into the 90's, so hopefully it will only go down from now on. *Knock on wood*

One hopes you're in farenheit, 'cos if you were in celsius it would be rather dangerous at 100C.
"It could be done manually. It would take quite a while, but it could be done. There is however a much more efficient and accurate way of getting the data. Men with lasers." Wing Commander Andy Green

mx_tifoso
5
User avatar
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:01 am
Location: North America

Re: ALMS: Petit Le Mans 2009

Postby mx_tifoso » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:34 pm

Of course it's in Fahrenheit. :lol:

I live in the US.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.




Return to “Other racing series”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CCBot [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Magpie [Feed] and 1 guest