GP2

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
bernard

GP2

Anybody seen the new GP2 cars that will replace the ancient F3000?
I have here a picture of the prototype
I think it's great that F1 gets a decent junior series, in which the upcoming drivers can be put to test and gain experience. Especially since the GP2 races are driven in the same tracks and in the same weekends as the big formulas.
The current F3000 isn't all that glamorous, and the cars look stupid. I think this one is nice. Looks decent. Looks nearly like a real F1.

sharkie17

looks like champ cars!!!!! :D

TechF1
TechF1

Re: GP2

why does GP2 replaces F3000?

Steven
Owner

Because the FIA and Bernie Ecclestone felt F3000 was not capable anymore of being a decent step up series to F1.

A press release by GP2 said at the time:
"An agreement has been reached at Formula One events to replace F3000 Championship from 2005 with the new Formula GP2 Series, which will take place at the European Formula One events.

This will be a stepping-stone into Formula One. The chassis and the engine will be more sophisticated than the current F3000 and the engine will produce 600 HP. This formula is supported by Renault with the chassis produced by Dallara and the engine to be designed, built and serviced by Renault.

Bernie Ecclestone has been helpful in this new formula and said that this will be a very good way for drivers, engineers and mechanics into Formula One. As with F3000, the FIA will be the technical and sporting regulator of the series as they are in Formula One."