2017-2020 Aerodynamic Regulations Thread

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
wuzak

Re: Proposed 2017 F1 Aerodynamic Changes

rscsr wrote:
godlameroso wrote:
bhall II wrote: Would it make things easier if I told you that the shapes of the components - not just the increased size - will bring performance gains? That it's entirely possible, if not probable, that the new rules are going to make the cars significantly quicker than anyone bargained for?
Downforce is already at the levels seen in 2012, the changes are going to take downforce levels past 2010 cars, which means cars will have more downforce than ever.
And not to forget the tyres will be 22% wider as well. Which means tyres almost as wide as before the grooved tyres have been introduced.
And probably, knowing Pirelli, running 25-30psi tyre pressures....

gandharva

flickerf1 wrote:So, 2010 cars had the most downforce? I'm just curious because I thought cars circa 2004 had the most downforce.
Yes. According to Adrian Newey RB6 was the car with the most DF so far in F1.
“The RB6 was probably the car with the most downforce in the history of F1, more even than the legendary spoiler cars of the 1980s. We measured up to 5.5G of lateral acceleration.

“It could go flat out through Copse at Silverstone, and on the sharp bend on the back straight at Barcelona [Campsa].”
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2014/03/11/w ... 014-newey/

https://vimeo.com/167577913

2017 will beat everything we have seen in F1 history regarding DF. Very exiting!

Andres125sx

wuzak wrote:
bhall II wrote:
djos wrote:Good point, the slanted rear wing is still ugly but I'd forgotten how good the McLaren looked with those barge boards. The Ferrari does look good too but I'm not convinced yet that the 2017 solutions with be as nice. Happy to be wrong tho.
Would it make things easier if I told you that the shapes of the components - not just the increased size - will bring performance gains? That it's entirely possible, if not probable, that the new rules are going to make the cars significantly quicker than anyone bargained for?
It is the usual way of things that the teams will find more downforce than the regulators expect them to have. It has happened every time they reduced downforce, so I expect it to be the same with increased downforce.
Good point.

I´m looking forward to see how fast are 2017 cars, but I´m afraid with current modifications, cars might be too fast!

Wings, floor, diffusers, tires, PU.... there are too many changes for anyone (let alone FIA) to guess what will be the real improvement. Engineers always go much further than legislators and that´s with simple modifications, but 2017 modifications will be massive.

Take 2016 times as an example. No rule modifications, and laptimes have been reduced significantly. Now imagine without development restrictions for the PU, add to that higher diffusers, wider tires, wider and lower RW, wider FW....

Knowing FIA, FOM, etc. I´d bet they will understimate the modifications dramatically, and cars will be much much faster than they expect. But that would be great for us, so for first time I´m hoping they really mess it up :mrgreen:

Juzh

gandharva wrote:
flickerf1 wrote:So, 2010 cars had the most downforce? I'm just curious because I thought cars circa 2004 had the most downforce.
Yes. According to Adrian Newey RB6 was the car with the most DF so far in F1.
“The RB6 was probably the car with the most downforce in the history of F1, more even than the legendary spoiler cars of the 1980s. We measured up to 5.5G of lateral acceleration.

“It could go flat out through Copse at Silverstone, and on the sharp bend on the back straight at Barcelona [Campsa].”
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2014/03/11/w ... 014-newey/

https://vimeo.com/167577913

2017 will beat everything we have seen in F1 history regarding DF. Very exiting!
While downforce will go up significantly next year I'm still in doubt double diffusers and RB6 in particularly will ever be beat in that area. They will be beat on laptimes, but those laptimes will come from other avenues such as engine power, suspension kinematics, larger tires and so on.

domh245

Juzh wrote:They will be beat on laptimes, but those laptimes will come from other avenues such as engine power, suspension kinematics, larger tires and so on.
TBH, I think one of the largest reasons that the RB6 was so quick was because of the tyres. It ran on the Bridgestones that were designed to be pushed on for the entire race, so taking a corner flat out like that wasn't an issue. The Pirellis that came in 2011 weren't, so you couldn't corner as fast.

Juzh

domh245 wrote:
Juzh wrote:They will be beat on laptimes, but those laptimes will come from other avenues such as engine power, suspension kinematics, larger tires and so on.
TBH, I think one of the largest reasons that the RB6 was so quick was because of the tyres. It ran on the Bridgestones that were designed to be pushed on for the entire race, so taking a corner flat out like that wasn't an issue. The Pirellis that came in 2011 weren't, so you couldn't corner as fast.
You could for 1 lap. And we are talking one lap maximum pace. If anything, RB6 is at a disadvantage in the tire department for 1 lap attack mode because bridgestones are much harder tires (probably) compared to pirellis.

F1NAC

We could see a glimpse of 2017 in July this year
https://twitter.com/tgruener/status/735890565712248832

flickerf1

The Wicked + The Divine.

djos

flickerf1 wrote:Not sure how legit this is: https://twitter.com/alanbaldwinf1/statu ... 1101590528
Seems to be missing the big barge boards, delta wing and tilted back rear wing, other than that it looks good.
"In downforce we trust"

Tauri_J

Thats not a 2017 car. Only 2017 tyres fitted to pirelli's test car.

SectorOne

Pirelli, however, has given the first indication of how the 2017-spec tyres will look by equipping a branded showcar with them, as pictured above.

The car - which is developed from an old Toyota F1 car - has been updated to include the wider 2000mm track that they will be next year.

The front and wear wings have been tweaked to simulate what 2017 concepts could look like, but were not created to the exact dimensions of the regulations.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/pirel ... es-741126/
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Sevach

Visually, the fat tires look good imo.

n_anirudh

A bit pessimistic over the wider tires..more mechanical grip, yes, but it would created a wider wake esp with the roatating tires in addition to the wake from the lowered rear wings and diffuser.

djos

Sevach wrote:Visually, the fat tires look good imo.

Very old school, I love it!
"In downforce we trust"

Sevach

An Ferrari SF15-T edited to look like an 2017 car.