2017-2020 Aerodynamic Regulations Thread

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
godlameroso

Re: Proposed 2017 F1 Aerodynamic Changes

stevesingo wrote:I think the waste heat produced by these engines is reducing all the time due to the ICE combustion technology improvements.
But conversely exhaust density is also increasing, and density has a bigger impact than temperature to create a pressure differential in a working fluid. Hence why hydraulic beats pneumatic.
Saishū kōnā

FPV GTHO

flickerf1 wrote:Does anyone know why the cars don't have a lower weight?
Next year it's going up to accommodate the heavier tyres. It went up in 2014 to accommodate the bigger batteries, previously they made adjustments to limit the drivers needing to lose weight.

stevesingo

godlameroso wrote:
stevesingo wrote:I think the waste heat produced by these engines is reducing all the time due to the ICE combustion technology improvements.
But conversely exhaust density is also increasing, and density has a bigger impact than temperature to create a pressure differential in a working fluid. Hence why hydraulic beats pneumatic.
As I understand it exhaust density is increasing through leaner mixtures driven by higher boost pressures. Boost pressure which is generated by the turbo, driven by the exhaust gasses. There is a limit as to how much higher the density can go when it s a result of the density itself. There is only so much energy that can be squeezed from 100kg (105kg) of fuel.

Judging by the (probably no too accurate) figures supplied by the FiA to Pirelli, teams are predicting 8% lower top speeds, despite the increase in power predicted of 10-17% (ignoring the 22% outlier) . It seems the 13% increase in top speed (30kph) predicted by on team is also an outlier.

"It will be adventurous with the top speed, the conclusion to the air resistance. The lowest value of 92 percent compared to the end of 2015 is realistic. The wider cars with the wider tires produce more air resistance. However, a team wants to be 13 percent faster on the straight line in 2017. "If that's true, we've all missed something," Pat Symonds jokes."

Juzh

13% higher straight line speed could either be honda who were absolute garbage in 2015 and thus HP increase will in fact offset higher drag.
Or it could be manor who ran 2014 ferrari PU in 2015 and were also nowhere on the straights that year.

miqi23

Are these down force increase numbers relative to one single number or every team is presenting their numbers relative to their own car?

You can have a rubbish car in 2016 and all of sudden find a way to make massive gains in 2017 and relative to your 2016 number you could be up 30% and at the same time you could be having a really good 2016 car and your 2017 gain relative to your 2016 car could be a lot less, say another 10%. Moreover, your 110% could possibly be more (in absolute terms) than the team quoting 130%.

Formula Wrong

Juzh wrote:13% higher straight line speed could either be honda who were absolute garbage in 2015 and thus HP increase will in fact offset higher drag.
Or it could be manor who ran 2014 ferrari PU in 2015 and were also nowhere on the straights that year.
That actually is a really good explanation of what might cause the huge differences
If you no longer go for the space someone always has to leave, you're no longer a racing driver

SR71

After seeing the 2017 tires on the test cars so many times, am I the only one who's sick of looking at this years cars?

They already look old and outdated, bring on 2017!

Gaz.

Formula Wrong wrote:
Juzh wrote:13% higher straight line speed could either be honda who were absolute garbage in 2015 and thus HP increase will in fact offset higher drag.
That actually is a really good explanation of what might cause the huge differences
13% is significant. For example in Barcelona 2015 FP2 Button did 327kph, vs Hamilton's 337kph on his pole lap this year. To achieve such an increase the Mclaren would have to hit 369kph in Catalunya. That's faster than Baku (Rosberg 348kph) with a shorter straight and far more drag. I'd say something has got lost in translation in regards to the 13% increase.
Forza Jules

Juzh

Gaz. wrote:
Formula Wrong wrote:
13% is significant. For example in Barcelona 2015 FP2 Button did 327kph, vs Hamilton's 337kph on his pole lap this year. To achieve such an increase the Mclaren would have to hit 369kph in Catalunya. That's faster than Baku (Rosberg 348kph) with a shorter straight and far more drag. I'd say something has got lost in translation in regards to the 13% increase.
Even the manors would have to get up to 360 which it just too much for barcelona. I agree the numbers are all just smoke and mirrors with no real face value.

andone89

Got one question, I saw some articles and pictures suggesting that we are going to see the return of the beam wing? Is it true?

djos

andone89 wrote:Got one question, I saw some articles and pictures suggesting that we are going to see the return of the beam wing? Is it true?
yes.
"In downforce we trust"

rscsr

djos wrote:
andone89 wrote:Got one question, I saw some articles and pictures suggesting that we are going to see the return of the beam wing? Is it true?
yes.
The technical regulations I saw suggest otherwise.

FPV GTHO

Beam wing might’ve been part of the Red Bull proposal that was supposed to bring 5s gain, but was dropped as part of the plan to just have 3s gain.

andone89

It seems to me that the red bull proposal and the fia proposal have been mixed up. Because 2017 will have a rearwards tilted rear wing but, it was part of the original red bull proposal, no the part of the fia's one. A weird one.

andone89

I wonder what the lap times have been for the mule cars so far? Any possiblity for us to know or any rumours?