What gas is used to fill F1 tyres?

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
hardingfv32

Re: What gas is used to fill F1 tyres?

"12.7.2 Any process the intent of which is to reduce the amount of moisture in the tyre and/or in its inflation gas is forbidden."

This is to prevent complex purging machines that use a vacuum pump. They also don't want the use of air chillers for the purpose of moisture removal. The teams probably wanted this to reduce the amount of equipment they carry.

Brian

hollowBallistix

Ciro Pabón wrote:Could it be the brake pads? I mean, the cause of the fireball you saw. They are red hot and they will pulverize easier than rims.

Or maybe it was dihydrogen monoxide.

This is a very dangerous substance. Colorless, odorless, tasteless, it kills uncounted thousands of people every year by accidental inhalation. When slightly heated, it transforms into a gas that can burn a human being in seconds.

DHMO is also the MAJOR component of acid rain and causes electrical failures and decrease the efficiency of brakes AND tyres. DHMO has been found in both.

Worse yet, when gasoline and DHMO are put in contact, it has the power to spread the fire. I fail to comprehend why FIA has not put regulations in place to get rid of it. Some teams even use it to enhance the effectiveness of refrigeration systems! A substance that when inhaled in small quantities is mortal, is kept hot and inches away from the driver.

Even more dangerous is the fact that DHMO is an universal solvent, as the mythical "alkahest" of alchemists. It can dissolve anything!

FIA actually forbid people to use gases helpful in extracting DHMO from tyres. I say we should organize a protest, specially because CONTAMINATION OF DHMO IS REACHING EPIDEMIC PROPORTIONS!

As DHMO has been detected in Red Bull, I suspect a conspiracy between them and FIA.

It has also been detected in Monaco in large quantities, even around the track.

Huge amounts of dihydrogen monoxide have been found in almost every pool, stream, lake, and reservoir in Monaco today. This pollution is global, and the contaminant has even been found in Antarctic ice. Few persons are free of DHMO in their bodies and it even can be transmitted by nursing a baby.

If ingested by an engine it can break a block or crack a piston in less than a second.

So, I suspect DHMO.

Companies dump waste DHMO into rivers and the ocean, and nothing can be done to stop them because this practice is still legal!

The number of addicts to DHMO is incredibly large. Say no to DHMO. Let's stop the DHMO cycle!

It's worst that a can of farts.
Got to love a clever joke :)

Ciro Pabón

Alejandro, I've heard DHMO can gasify when its temperature raises less than a thousand of a degree.

In special circumstances (I don't remember the exact conditions) it can gasify when heated less than a MILLIONTH of a degree. Isn't that absurd?

Thanks, hollowBallistix.

Belatti, read Dune. Mr. Burns is innocent this time.
Ciro

alelanza

Hey Ciro,

Not sure if our definition of 'gasify' is the same, but anyways i was referring to the part in bold
Ciro Pabón wrote: When slightly heated, it transforms into a gas that can burn a human being in seconds.
Alejandro L.

Mr Alcatraz

Ciro Pabón wrote:Alejandro, I've heard DHMO can gasify when its temperature raises less than a thousand of a degree.

In special circumstances (I don't remember the exact conditions) it can gasify when heated less than a MILLIONTH of a degree. Isn't that absurd?

Thanks, hollowBallistix.

Belatti, read Dune. Mr. Burns is innocent this time.
Donne is better reading IMO
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

Giblet

On the subject of magnesium, there is a ~1.5 inch wide rod of magnesium in the cores of water heaters. A friend and I as kids slowly sawed off a log about 5 inches long, and threw it in a stone fireplace in a big gazeebo type thing where a fire was already roaring

30 minutes later the forgotten log ignited we were running out of the room as the heat and light was too intense. It was solid. It looked like a chunk of soft stainless steel or aluminium.

Maybe the heat broke it down to a powder before it ignited, I am not sure.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

hollus

Shrek wrote:i read somewhere that Ferrari put 52% Tetrafluoroethane, 44% Pentafluoroethane and 4 % Trifluoroethane in the tire, don't know if it is really true though.
That was in the early 2000s, I believe. After that they wrote a rule asking for common gasses to crank down on that.

As for the expansion of "moisture" I see no reason why it would be much different from that of Nitrogen and Oxygen (as long as it does not condensate). Chemically it can store energy internally in a different way, but the effects should be quite negligible, with ideal gas behavior being a good enough approximation for most purposes.

As for Magnesium, and even Aluminum, they are reasonably inert when solid because the surface is already oxidized, but the elemental (non oxidized) material underneath is quite flammable. Both Magnesium and Aluminum powder will actually self-ignite when exposed to air simply if they are ground finely enough and devoid of the protective oxide layer.
So touching the wall, by grinding the wheel rim a bit, is more than enough to create flames and sparks of Magnesium and Aluminum, that will self ignite and then also burn any rubber or paint they managed to scrape along.
Rivals, not enemies.

jasc

Ciro Pabón wrote:Could it be the brake pads? I mean, the cause of the fireball you saw. They are red hot and they will pulverize easier than rims.

Or maybe it was dihydrogen monoxide.

This is a very dangerous substance. Colorless, odorless, tasteless, it kills uncounted thousands of people every year by accidental inhalation. When slightly heated, it transforms into a gas that can burn a human being in seconds.

DHMO is also the MAJOR component of acid rain and causes electrical failures and decrease the efficiency of brakes AND tyres. DHMO has been found in both.

Worse yet, when gasoline and DHMO are put in contact, it has the power to spread the fire. I fail to comprehend why FIA has not put regulations in place to get rid of it. Some teams even use it to enhance the effectiveness of refrigeration systems! A substance that when inhaled in small quantities is mortal, is kept hot and inches away from the driver.

Even more dangerous is the fact that DHMO is an universal solvent, as the mythical "alkahest" of alchemists. It can dissolve anything!

FIA actually forbid people to use gases helpful in extracting DHMO from tyres. I say we should organize a protest, specially because CONTAMINATION OF DHMO IS REACHING EPIDEMIC PROPORTIONS!

As DHMO has been detected in Red Bull, I suspect a conspiracy between them and FIA.

It has also been detected in Monaco in large quantities, even around the track.

Huge amounts of dihydrogen monoxide have been found in almost every pool, stream, lake, and reservoir in Monaco today. This pollution is global, and the contaminant has even been found in Antarctic ice. Few persons are free of DHMO in their bodies and it even can be transmitted by nursing a baby.

If ingested by an engine it can break a block or crack a piston in less than a second.

So, I suspect DHMO.

Companies dump waste DHMO into rivers and the ocean, and nothing can be done to stop them because this practice is still legal!

The number of addicts to DHMO is incredibly large. Say no to DHMO. Let's stop the DHMO cycle!

It's worst that a can of farts.
Dihydrogen is H2, Monoxide is O. So DHMO is H2O or water
Just for info of non chemists.
Well written anyway lol.