New Suspension For Formula1 - This may change the race?

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
747heavy

Re: New Suspension For Formula1 - This may change the race?

........................ not the rigth place - sorry
Last edited by 747heavy on 15 Jul 2011, 14:15, edited 1 time in total.
"Make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust it wrong ......
look what they can do to a carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver."
- Colin Chapman

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” - Leonardo da Vinci

DIM-ON

Last edited by DIM-ON on 14 Jul 2011, 01:06, edited 2 times in total.

HungryHebbo

Why would you need more contact area in a straight line, surely that would just increase the drag? The negative camber already allows most/all of the tire to contact the ground during cornering...surely?

DIM-ON

About the F400.
anyone has seen a more detailed design of suspension Mercedes F400 Carving?
None ...... And it's true. This photo - it's the best there since 2001.
I spent 3 years in search of the Internet information about Mercedes F400 Carving suspension. And more detailed photos I have not found the suspension.
The reason is - that the control mechanism of this suspension is very huge. It is not suitable for the serial cars.Image

Yes. Mercedes Benz provided a good test and correct information. In my work I relied on this information. I found confirmation of this in the calculations. But the problem is - where to put all the details of the management system? For it is not enough space. F400 CARVING so was available only for a small group of engineers.
I know that I am not the first who spent 10 years on this task. I know that many companies are thinking about it. And it will be a shame if FORMULA 1 not be the first where it will be applied. BOSE SUSPENSION is not taken into account - this suspension has no future. Where can I get a lot of energy to work? Reliability ......... etc.

Jersey Tom

Why would it be a shame if F1 wasn't the proving ground of a new suspension? F1 budgets are chump change, tiny compared to OEM's.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

747heavy

Last edited by 747heavy on 15 Jul 2011, 14:15, edited 1 time in total.
look what they can do to a carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver."
- Colin Chapman

DIM-ON

If any automaker introduces a new system that improves the stability, speed, and reliability - that this sets a trend automaker. The recent announcement by the head of the team FERRARI - if Formula1 not allow us to make SERIAL SPORT CARS better then we will leave Formula1. (I'm not sure that it was true - but it was articulated).

The time has come - when all the technology upgraded by 92 %.... 98%. Progress occurs when there is an alternative form of technology that absorbs something from the different types of existing technologies. Example - gearbox DSG, SMG. Suspensions - AIRMATIC, P.A.S.M. - this is an interim solution on the way to the suspension which will force to change the negative ROLL

And if Formula 1 does not provide the automotive world the new trends - this means Formula 1 - NOT THE QUEEN MOTORSPORT

DIM-ON

If it just flat - it turns sliding in a turn. It is now a big problem Michael Schumacher

DIM-ON

I forgot about MICHELIN.
This company in the late 90s and until 2007 was actively developed with the active suspension roll into the turn. But all the samples could not be taken into production. Very large controls and a very complex kinematics of the suspension.

747heavy

Last edited by 747heavy on 15 Jul 2011, 14:16, edited 1 time in total.
- Colin Chapman

Ciro Pabón

As you surely know, down force developed by front wing and floor is very sensitive to height. As Heavy noted, active suspensions are a no-no for FIA, given history.

The idea is very good, but I think the mechanical side of F1 is as important for the sport as the driver ability.

Full mechanization of all the imbalances in the car gives you safety under normal conditions, but in a sport, where parts and materials are taken to the limit, the consequences of a failure in suspension are catastrophic, as Bruce McLaren, Mark Donohue and Ayrton Senna fates amply proved. Of course there are two sides to any story, so, who knows? I don't, for sure.

I think you're right, the idea, again, is good, as its implementation by leading edge brands proves, but simplicity is also important (maybe not, but that's why I love karts: bare bones car and your feelings, together, that's what I call karting the racing sport and not F1 nor NHRA).

Funny both concepts (the Chapman quote you gave, and the stress on simplicity by Leonardo) are embedded in 747Heavy signature...

DIM-ON, by all means, welcome. (I forgot, sorry, I usually say that in first place). I believe it's going to be a pleasure to have you around. This thread should attract more people, I guess they are busy right now.

Finally, what does "Otritsastelny collapse" mean?

Wow. Thanks for the beautiful link, 747. Gracias, macho.
Ciro

DIM-ON

I understand. :D Everyone who reads this is difficult to understand - how does it work? :?: :?: :?: :?: What information to provide more? :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

WilO

DIM-ON, thanks for presenting your ideas.
Just wondering about 'banking' the car into the corner; might cause some undesirable variation in contact patch load.

Cool stuff though, and thank you again for letting us look at your idea.

RacingManiac

Can you not do this by kinematically move your roll center above CG?

Caito

The tires need camber anyway. It's not that they have all that camber because the car rolls and you want to have a 0° camber wheel when cornering.

Besides, if they wanted 0 camber change in cornering that could be very easily made. Compromise bump and you have 0 camber change in roll 1:1 camber change in bump.

Would you have jacking forces when you implement your system?
Come back 747, we miss you!!